Just got ASP Triad, very interesting

steve_vance

Enlightened
Just received an ASP Triad for evaluation. Very interesting light. Three Cree 7090-XRE in a fairly small head. Regulated. The Crees are underdriven, producing approx 80 lumens each at the source (engineer said if they drove them fully you'd need a silicone oven mitt to handle the light). Incredibly high quality- like nothing I've ever seen in a production light, except for Inova.
This thing is a photon hose- it produces SO MUCH light that it's mindblowing. The beam pattern is somewhat unusual. Most LED lights, even the new Cree and P4 lights, either have a central hotspot and little corona, like my D-
mini with the smooth reflector, or have a fairly bright hotspot with a usable but much dimmer corona. This thing produces what I would best describe as a CONE of light.... actually about the same shape as an ice cream cone. Instead of a central hotspot, it has an extremely bright cone-shaped area of light that has a width of about 15 feet at a distance of 30 yards, AND a very bright wider cone of light (not really describable as a corona) spreading to around 35-40 feet at 30 yards. THIS THING IS BRIGHT. It has a proprietary "hardcoat" finish that seems to be a thick HA-III finish. The switch is a little unusual- it is basically what amounts to a rotary switch oon the end of the light that presets modes for the clicky. Center position: light completely off, can't be activated. Clockwise position: clicky functions in on/off mode (it is a forward clicky). Counterclockwise position: clickty function as a momentary. Switch is completely silent.

Interesting also that ASP, in their lumen ratings, unlike most if not all manufacturers, uses the actual lumen output of the light as read by a lumisphere, not the output at the LED(s). So despite its 240-lumen output from 3 Cree XREs, on the following pdf you'll notice that the light is rated at 120 lumens. The engineer at ASP tells me that typically, a light's overall output (as measured by a lumisphere) is about half of its output at the led(s), he said this is due to reflector/optics efficiency, beam pattern, etc. This is something that we here at CPF have all observed: that the lumen ratings of lights seem to be "off". So if, for example, I measured my D-Mini in a lumisphere, despite 105-110 output at the LED, the lumisphere would probably measure about 55 lumens, depending on which reflector was installed. I found this to be very interesting.

It's still the brightest light I own, FAR outstripping anything I've seen.

pdf of ASP Triad

**just found out that a rechargeable version is coming fall 2007

Last edited:

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Steve...Thanx a bunch for the info! I've been wondering about this light since first reading about it. Do you have any additional info like price, where to buy? I really like lights that have the "wall of light" type output, and this seems to be that type! Thanx again for your info!

PJD

steve_vance

Enlightened
right now you can buy it from ASP direct,
ASP
(you have to call them, their shopping cart isn't up yet), or froogle it.

The list price is $165.00 as a 2-cell, street price is $130-$140

coming soon is the kit with batterytubes for 2,3 and 4-cell operation, that will list at about $225. I believe the tubes will also be available as accessories.

T4R06

Enlightened
@steve - if producing 80lms, (measured by lumisphere) output on led is twice, im assuming output per led is at least 140lms not in lumisphere. so the normal ouput is at least 400lms?
just my calculation.
hmmm.. very interesting, that is why they put only 120lms?

gotta get one of these

steve_vance

Enlightened
T4R06 said:
@steve - if producing 80lms, (measured by lumisphere) output on led is twice, im assuming output per led is at least 140lms not in lumisphere. so the normal ouput is at least 400lms?
just my calculation.
hmmm.. very interesting, that is why they put only 120lms?

gotta get one of these

No, the three Crees are underdriven to 80 lumens each to limit heat; remember, the light is only 5+ inches long and 1.25 inch diameter, it would get blazing hot if they drove the three Crees to full output. Output of the light at the LEDs is 240 lumens,but the lumisphere measures 120 for reasons listed above. Still, this thing is unbelievably bright. This coming from a guy who owns D-Minis, Ami T5, Inova T3 2nd gen, et al.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
steve vance from vance refridgeration?

:lolsign:

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
175px-TheOffice-bobvance.jpg

FASTCAR

Banned
Steve, I have had this light a few months now.You may want to check 2 things.
I gained 20% ( about) lumens doing this.

Take it apart.The spring on the bottom had a tan overspray on it or powdercoat.Scrape or sand that off. On the top contact mine was gummy and black. Top took me 16 double sided swabs to get clean.I cleaned both sides with Deoxit and then used Progold. On mine the difference was night and day.The head contact area went from tar like and black to gold/brass color.

It got MUCH brighter.

Now that it is cleaned its a fine light.If I was pickey I would say it is a tad long for a 2x123 format. I do LOVE the clickey though.

If you did not get them, you can get 1-2-3 or 4 cell batt tubes for the Asp Triad 3x cree.As per my tests you get 1 hour per battery at the same lumens.

If you do not know about Progold/Deoxit please PM me for info or read in Review section.

My 2 cents

dark

Newly Enlightened
2 cell Triad (asp35620) $116.92 @ rsrgroup.com - 10 available. What you can expect to pay at the wholesale/distributor level.

x2x3x2

Banned
haha oh yeh ur right, its BOB not STEVE, darn i got confused :p hehe couldnt resist!

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
steve vance from vance refridgeration?

LOL!!

Almost got half of my morning coffe on the keyboard cause of that!:laughing:

Back on topic. :) The cone beam sounds very interesting. So it's more of a flood light then? How far would you say the throw is?

About the lumens loss, I think it's fair to say that it's commonly aknowledged that Surefire(and now ASP) is one of the few manufacturers that actually measure the lumens output, and not use the LED specs. But my impression was that the loss wasnt as high as 50%? For example Fenix P1D CE and L2D CE is rated 135lumens, but rough guesstimates with homemade lightboxes etc says it's around 115lumens, so about 20% loss. Are you saying that the real loss is even more?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
steve_vance said:
...the actual lumen output of the light as read by a lumisphere...
Steve,

I've never heard of a lumisphere, and it's not in the dictionary. Are you referring to an integrating sphere?

The incandescent ASP Triad was for years one of the three longest-throwing 2x123 lights, along with the Pelican M6 incandescent and the TACM III. These lights are now equalled or even out-thrown by the 1x123 D-Mini-CREE.

It's a new world!

Brightnorm

Last edited: