Any '06 or '07 Civic Si owners??

gjg

Enlightened
Hi All:
Does anybody own a '06 or '07 Si?? Seriously kicking around buying one, would just like the thoughts of someone who has lived with one for a while.
Thanks in advance,
Greg :grin2:

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I had a '00 Si for a little over 5yrs and it was a blast. The latest Si's are even more fun. However, the biggest downside is theft and break-ins. While the latest Civics are a little more difficult to break into and steal, they are still pretty easy and are considered a "hot" because of it. If you have a garage, you will be less at risk, but it's something you should consider.

- Chris

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Gimpy00Wang said:
I had a '00 Si for a little over 5yrs and it was a blast. The latest Si's are even more fun. However, the biggest downside is theft and break-ins. While the latest Civics are a little more difficult to break into and steal, they are still pretty easy and are considered a "hot" because of it. If you have a garage, you will be less at risk, but it's something you should consider.
LoJack.
LoJack.
LoJack.

When my car was stolen a few years ago, it was amazing to hear the police dispatcher's tone of voice perk up when I said "I have LoJack." It works. If it's available in your area and you have a car of interest to thieves - get it. Any sane insurance company will give you a discount on your theft premium for having it.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Lojacks are the way to go with any car you love, but having a high-risk 'hot' like the Si's can be a pain. :)

- Chris

gjg

Enlightened
Although winters here in northeastern Wisconsin suck, living here has one advantage - a nice LOW crime rate. I can't remember the last time anyone I've known has had a car stolen, and there are TONS of Mercedes, Lexus, Audi's etc. in my neighborhood. Basically a pretty nice place to live, plus I've got a garage. So, now I just need to figure out what new toy to fill it with.... New Sentra SE-R Spec V? Mini-S? WRX? GTI?

gg

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
Well...having an Si and now having a Subie...I'm biased to recommend a WRX -- especially now the WRX has a 2.5L instead of the old 2.2L. :D My friends & family have quite the Subie assortment: STi, WRX, Outback, OBS (mine), 2.5RS, old Legacy, another WRX, another Outback. Nothing but happy, happy people with their Subies.

You need to go test drive one. You'll be in love.

- Chris

gjg

Enlightened
Chris - A dealer about 15 miles from me has both a Spec B Legacy and a Sti in stock. I'm AFRAID to go there - nothing to do with the cars, I KNOW I will love them, but afraid of what my wife will do to me if I come home with a 35k car... but honey, it's practical, a 4-wheel drive, and the big wing just makes it that much safer... :rolleyes: yeah.
Greg

also, do you (or anyone) know if dealers are discounting the WRX's much? With the new ones out this fall, maybe they don't want to get stuck with old stock.

Gimpy00Wang said:
Well...having an Si and now having a Subie...I'm biased to recommend a WRX -- especially now the WRX has a 2.5L instead of the old 2.2L. :D My friends & family have quite the Subie assortment: STi, WRX, Outback, OBS (mine), 2.5RS, old Legacy, another WRX, another Outback. Nothing but happy, happy people with their Subies.

You need to go test drive one. You'll be in love.

- Chris

dim

Enlightened
Gimpy00Wang said:

- Chris
Yeah -

I HAD a 2000 Civic Si new in 2k for about two years until it was....yes...STOLEN!!
The car was SO hot for the time that I received more money from the insurance company than I originally paid for it.

Anyway....While the 2006/7 Si is two generations removed from my 2000 Si, I can say that my 2k WAS a BLAST to drive. Keep those revs high for any sort of power (real or imaginary). I could make a respectable showing against other rice rockets but was left in the rear view mirror by REAL American muscle.

dim

Enlightened
I bought an 05 Si just before the FG coupe came out. Needless to say I was kicking myself in the @$$. There were a few minor issues with the new Si (06+) but those have been taken care of via new ECU programming reflash from the dealer. The new Si should be as reliable as any other Honda. I have almost 28K miles on my car (bascially same engine but different variant and specs) and never had any mechanical problems.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
gjg said:
Chris - A dealer about 15 miles from me has both a Spec B Legacy and a Sti in stock. I'm AFRAID to go there - nothing to do with the cars, I KNOW I will love them, but afraid of what my wife will do to me if I come home with a 35k car... but honey, it's practical, a 4-wheel drive, and the big wing just makes it that much safer... :rolleyes: yeah.
Greg

also, do you (or anyone) know if dealers are discounting the WRX's much? With the new ones out this fall, maybe they don't want to get stuck with old stock.

I paid just under TMV (edmunds.com) for my '05 OBS. Both of my friends who have WRX's also paid just under TMV from the same dealer. As for "other discounts"...Subaru will often have $1000-$2000 cash back on certain models. So...on an '07 WRX wagon or sedan, I would expect you should be able to get one for around $23K. If you're considering a WRX STi...you _may_ be able to get $1000 under sticker, but with those...it really varies by dealer.

The '08's should start to become available mid-late summer.

- Chris

Enlightened
If you're going to consider the WRX, I'd get one now before they change over to the new models. I'd rather have a 2007 solely based on looks.

moeman

Enlightened
Hi have an 02 Si and like 021411 said: Its a honda.
I have a friend with an 06 and i have driven it numerous times and i know he has had no problems with his either.
Good cars.

Penguin

Enlightened
Get one! They're so slick! It was the Motor Trend 2006 Car of the Year!

Imagine a great daily driver with decent gas mileage, perfect for your everyday commute while during the week...
But when you're feeling a bit 'spirited' drop into a lower gear and hear that 2.0L rev happy 200hp engine scream in all it's vtec glory... + you got 6 speeds to run through :)

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
dim said:
Yeah -

I HAD a 2000 Civic Si new in 2k for about two years until it was....yes...STOLEN!!
The car was SO hot for the time that I received more money from the insurance company than I originally paid for it.

I wasn't quite that lucky, but I paid $17,200 for a 99 Civic Si. Had it for 39 months about 50,000+ miles. It was totalled and we got $15,800 from the insurance company. Less than 10% depreciation over 3+ years isn't bad at all considering cars like the Taurus typically depreciate over 50% before they are even initially sold.

Mine was a bit cheaper feeling and more flimsy that I was used to, but not terribly bad. They didn't have available antilock brakes. My biggest issue was it seemed like every white male under the age of 25 that saw the 'Si' on the back of my car wanted to race me in front of the mall.

When I got it, the WRX wasn't out yet. I was looking pretty seriously at the 99 Subaru 2.5RS 4 door but at the time, there were zero silver or blue 4 door, 5 speeds available in the country. If faced with the same decision today,I'd pay the extra for a WRX over the Si. Actually, I'd likely get a used G35 4 door but I'm older now.