BITE SLEEVE FOR ARC AAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelhead

Newly Enlightened
Anyone out there like the idea of a "bite sleeve" of about a half inch wide or so which could be slid over the tail end(not over the flat part with the lanyard hole but up on the barrel) of the AAA(removable of course) to allow hands free use while preventing the filing down of your front teeth. I was thinking of some type of clear rubber tubing or such that could be fitted over the very end. Something similar to a wider surgical tubing but perhaps clear in color and with a slightly greater thickness.
Currently I have simply wrapped some 1/2" black electrical tape about 7 or 8 times around the end to increase its thickness but I'd much prefer something that looked nicer and was more easily removed.
What do you guys think? Any ideas? Anyone else feel the need for such a sleeve?
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steelhead

B@rt

Flashaholic
Aquarium tubing?

Edit: I've used this for securing a lens in front of the AAA, giving somekind of a led-lenser effect. Might be usefull for a biting project...

Darell

Flashaholic
A Kydex sheath provides this functionality perfectly. Handy way to carry the light as well, so you get two for one in a $9 package.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
ick.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darell,

I hate to correct a brother Flashaholic, but the appropriate expression is YUCK!

"yuck" A common expression of disgust and/or revulsion often mispronounced as "ick".

Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic
One of the small ball type balloons can be slipped over the tail of the light and the ball will typically hold air in it. Kind of unsanitary for repeated cycles though. ick...yuck.....blahck

Prior to the surgery that left me with a large metal plate in my forhead (now a magnet on the tail of the Arc AAA allows for head lamp) I found that I could stick the Arc AAA in my right nostril and look down my nose at the subject. Yep,....dang......might have made that up...

tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
I actually have a stainless steel and Ti jaw joint. Hmm, I probably should have mentioned this to you Don. Here I'm walking around with two of your favorite metals in my head, and I've never mentioned it before.

And believe it or not, I'm serious. My right TMJ is prosthetic with a very high-tech replacement. There is a Ti ball to form the bottom of the joint (a screw-on sphere that can be replaced if it wears too much), and that is held on with a SS strap that is screwed to the bone of my jaw, down low near my chin. I just wish magnets would stick to it. These Rare Earth mags would be WAY fun. Just imagine being able to hang an Arc AAA off the side of your face. Talk about handy!

I can see everybody rushing to look at pictures of me now to see how deformed I am. Well, the only hint is face-lift scars in my ears, and the fact that my ears just aren't quite the same level on each side. But those issues are usually the LAST things to scare people when they see me.

Oh man. What was this thread about? Oh yeah - Holding the Arc in your mouth. Well I'm not too far off. I want to hold mine with my jaw, but can't.
frown.gif

Remember my friends - Beware of hard breads and thick steaks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Crude as this may sound, it works:

If you slightly tighten your lips so that you can feel your teeth, you then have a comfortable, dry way to hold your ARC. Another way to describe it is to tuck your lips fully over your teeth almost as though you want to get your lips out of the way.

I actually prefer this technique to a bite sleeve/tube because there is absolutely no "slobber factor" and no accumulation of "chewed cigar syndrome". The only catch is that if you salivate excessively you will have to remove the ARC periodically, but that would also apply to any other method.

Brightnorm

Darell

Flashaholic
Naaah. Won't stick to the SS! I assume you didn't go with the low-ball quote of raw iron braces.
smile.gif

Beware of strong magnets near the Arcs, BTW. If the magnet gets near the head, you'll notice a marked lack of output, plus a quick drain of the battery. It is one of those cool mysteries that we discovered a while back...

Saaby

Flashaholic
It's not the brackets (Stainless) it's the alloy wires they stick through because my teeth are so retartedly twisted. Every time I go in they stick in a thicker wire, 2 times ago they said there are only 2 sizes bigger so I geuss they are either done putting in bigger wires or they'll special order one
tongue.gif

I had to wear one of those pallete expander things (My mouth wasn't big enough, can you believe that? MY mouth wasn't big enough) and it broke! They said those NEVER break, but mine did, so I had to have a big wire (temporarily, it's gone now) put across the top of my mouth!

I'm not a big fan of biteing flashlights at all, it scrwes with my teeth even more
wink.gif

Tomas

Banned
You realize, Darell, what you did, eh?
rolleyes.gif

Immediately some of us had to grab the nearest strong magnet and our Arc's to see what would happen. *sigh*

It does . . .
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one's mentioned the option of sticking the ARC up your nose for hands free holding. Of course, you may get a crick in you neck holding your head back far enough to shine it on what your looking at. And a healthy sneeze could void the warrenty...
buck.gif
TX

Darell

Flashaholic
Yo Tex... Don mentioned it a few posts up. Stange minds...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by McGizmo:
I found that I could stick the Arc AAA in my right nostril and look down my nose at the subject.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need to tie that picture along with the picture of "Cyclops Craig" to an anti-smokeing campaign. If that won't scare young people from smokeing, nothing will! TX

McGizmo

Flashaholic
TX,

Joking aside, I had similar thoughts when i saw the photo. Not a proud moment.

- Don

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,
Just think of how much money is spent every year by the film industry in an effort to scare people. And you did it for the cost of 2 ARC AAA's. I would call that quite an acomplishment.
wink2.gif
TX

Status
Not open for further replies.