Dear Fenix

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
I just have an issue with Fenix flooding the market with every configuration under the sun, yet not addressing users concerns.

I progressed from the L2P to the L2T to the P1 and have been in a holding pattern since the P1D CE's ringed beam pattern has not been addressed.

The plus about the Fenix lights was the simple style of the flashlights, clean lines, EDC-ability and durability.

The recent beam interface implentations have left plenty to be desired.

As for the myriad of battery configurations, Fenix, you'll never have a clear winner, only leap-frog flashlights every few months, which doesn't leave the users feeling good about your products down the road.

Again, not fixing the ring beam, even declaring to the public it's a trick of the light was ludicrous and insulting.

Don't put in an OP reflector on a new model and my last Fenix will continue to be the P1.

In closing, Fenix, the P1 was a wonderful little puppy but your engineers are obviously back-scrubbers. You could've taken that rear-end raised star of the P1 and made it a rotatable beam interface controller.

You CAN always squeeze a few more lumens with new battery configured flashlights but you really need to improve in other areas across the new product range. You keep NOT getting the message.

Do a real flashlight, not a SEARS flashlight.

Andy

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea how Fenix have introduced multiple configurations, eg the P2-CE with the Clickie tailcap being the latest. Not only this they have managed to make Smart high quality Flashlights loaded with many features at an affordable price. Good work!

LightScene

Enlightened
The beam is not that bad. It still lights up a dark room, or the dark path in front of you, and the throw is wonderful. An OP reflector would ruin the hot spot.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightScene said:
The beam is not that bad. It still lights up a dark room, or the dark path in front of you, and the throw is wonderful. An OP reflector would ruin the hot spot.

It doesn't bother you. That still doesn't change the fact that Fenix chickened out, given that before the LxD's were even released, 4sevens posted a poll on behalf of Fenix engineers on how heavy we would prefer the new textured reflectors to be. They took that information and promptly took a dump on it, instead rushing a new light to market without it. They even announced the LxD's would have it when they were in the preorder stage. I ordered under that assumption. Imagine my disappointment... :rant:

defusion

Enlightened
ah yes, the wonders of flashlight lego!
hey fenix i want an OP reflector -> sure, you can buy it here!
hey, now i want a 2-stage clicky! -> here it is!
how about a nice 3cell body? -> here it is!

i like fenix, but they're already offering to many flashlights that are basicaly more of the same. the only way to make it better is to offer a "lego build", and offer 3 "basic" configurations for people that don't want to bother choosing their type of reflector/head/switch.

litho123

Enlightened
The textured reflector is one way to clean up the beam.

Another way is with a diffusion gel sheet.
I have 3 different sheets arriving next week and am going to separate it into 2" x 2" squares and make it available for folks to try in the GB section.

I've inserted one into my P2D-CE and it has done a nice job. When I get my digital camera back, I'll post some beamshots of the difference.
What I'd like to see is some crenulation to the bezel.

greenstuffs

Banned
Well Fenix is not a brand for people who really use flashlights, and more for the so called lumen hungry unenlightened who only wants throw and high lumens the rest its just nonsense to them.

Flash Harry

Newly Enlightened
I love the beam in my wife's L2P. I keep hoping Fenix will make a CR123 version. The P2D might have fitted the bill had it not more functions than you can point a stick at. I think they're getting too clever. The P2D with just the clickie and a twist between two levels, 9 lumens and 135 lumens respectively would have done me nicely, thanks.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenstuffs said:
Well Fenix is not a brand for people who really use flashlights, and more for the so called lumen hungry unenlightened who only wants throw and high lumens the rest its just nonsense to them.

I really don't know what makes you say that. The Fenix L2D has the best performance (both high output combined with runtime, and low output combined with runtime) of any light ever made. Find another light that runs for nearly 6 hours 30 minutes at above 65 lumens on two cells (L91), and that very same light can run at around 12 lumens for 86 freakin hours both levels FULLY REGULATED! Nothing else on the market even touches that nor really trys.

I do agree that Fenix should listen to their most die hard customers (which is us) and make a OP reflector for their L*D lineup. That is the number one complaint of most users and a reason why many people haven't bought their lights. They don't need to get rid of the smooth reflector they currently use, but just give the option of either a smooth of OP reflector.
I also think that they should make a lower cost light with only two levels without either strobe or SOS. Make that light able to come on in either low mode or high mode and have both levels fully regulated. This would satisfy ALOT of people on here who want a more simplistic light without all the bells and whistles of the current Fenix line.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
The funny thing is we could all write this post and have different complaints. While I understand the complaints about the beam, for me the ringy beam has had absolutely effect on the usefulness of the light in real use. I know it's irritating that, when the technology exists, they don't just smooth beam out. But I've had zero problems with the ringy beam; it's a don't-care for me and many others.

The thing that really continues to bother me is the lack of a low low, despite requests for this for the longest time. Now, of course, I realize the shoe is on the other foot and half the people will say that this feature is a don't-care to them. For me, it doesn't even have to be half a lumen or anything like that ... drop the low down to 3 lumens or so and I'm golden, any less than that is gravy.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been very pleased with the way that Fenix has responded so quickly to the newer LED's that have become available. I think that they deserve credit for this and they are still coming out with more models with battery choices that they never offered before.

Good job Fenix.

I will add, that I won't be purchasing any more of their Cree based lights without an orange peel reflector but I will be happy to buy one of each of their lights when they come out with a Seoul option. I prefer to have a beam without artifacts... in my experience, this does make a difference in how well the beam works.

I also second the idea that I could do without all of the levels and features (SOS, Strobe etc.). I want a rugged, HAIII light that is water-proof and has 2 or 3 levels that I could select without cycling through a pre-defined sequence. I prefer 3 levels to 2 levels. I loved the simplicity of the L2T for selecting levels.

Finally, I can't stand the PWM dimming in any manufacturers light except for HDS. If Fenix could change the L0D to HDS quality PWM or forgo PWM altogether and use a different method that didn't cause noticeable flickering, then they would be near perfect.

Do not feel obliged to disagree with anything that I said in this post because that would just expose your error... I am always right:grin2:

-Goatee

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess first I'll say we can speak with our wallets. I've got a Fenix P1D-CE. And I've got a Jetbeam C-LE. The Fenix is in my key pocket all the time. But I've found myself using the heck out of the Jetbeam rather than the Fenix. The Jetbeam is not as bright so why do I use it? I don't really mind the rings (which ARE an illusion) but I WOULD prefer a slightly cleaner pattern. I know the Fenix will throw further with a plain reflector so for that I'll keep it as a pocket rocket to reach out into the night. But for most of what I've been doing - close up work inside and building rooms I find the Jetbeam better - maybe it's ergonomics - the twisty works a little easier I think and the orange peel reflector is a plus. But as much as anything I find it annoying that I only have one level of brightness with the P1D-CE since I use rechargeables now. And I think more people are going to rechargeables. My Jetbeam got Eneloops and I still have all 3 brightness levels. I'm glad Fenix is still cranking out new lights and I really like the new P2D concept BUT it really should have an OP reflector as an option right out of the box and it would be nice if they addressed some of the other things flashaholics want. But I suspect that until someone else comes up with something better they will keep selling what they produce unless we talk louder with our wallets.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Fenix is taking the mobile phone companies business model ..... basically, to keep offering slightly improved new models at a constant rate !! :ohgeez:

Milking us all dry in the process !! :D As a purely money making enterprise you cannot fault Fenix in any way !! :grin2:

For the time being I'm happy with my Cree L0, L1, P1 ..... I'm now gonna spend my money with NovaTac and LiteFlux ..... and maybe even Photon fs they stop being biyatches and bring out a Cree Proton !! :popcorn:

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick note on rechargeables. I get all levels on my P1D and P1D CE using 3.0 volt rechargeables. It was a nice surprise

-Goatee

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've occasionally complained about GM car design (keep the Caprice, please), Pachmayr about grip design (keep the 2 piece Signature design please), Motorola about cell phone design (I don't need more features, I need it with a better battery and a better antenna..), Palm about PDA design (let me change the g*****m battery, please), and numerous other things. I even wrote a few of them.

Oddly enough, all those companies chose to continue following their own wisdom instead of listening to me. Go figure...