air bubbles in LS LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
I just got my SLS, my SLS have some tiny air bubble on the LED (in the epoxy), which show up as prominent dark spots on the beam. Anyone got a SLS that have such problem? Does those bubbles affect the LED operation in anyway other then the beam? I know the seconds is supposed to have problem with beam quality, but I did expect something this bad. The beam is probably worst then that of a mag because of all those annoying dark spots in the center.
frown.gif

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I have put some writeright in the center part of the lens. The beam is now acceptable although the dark spots are still visible. A full writeright would have given me a perfect beam, but it cuts out too much light. I have also tried a surefire beamshaper, but the resulting "beam" is too diffuse. Puting writeright to the center seems to be the best compromise. Have anyone seen a LS that have the same problem? am I the only unlucky one here?

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hi Chuen,
I don't think many people have seen such a thing... Did you ask Peter about this?
I only have one LS-based light, and there certainly aren't any bubbles in the lens... So, based on my very limited opinion..., I don't think this is normal. I'm sure you will be able to work something out with Peter.

Chuen

Newly Enlightened
Well, since it's a second I don't think this is covered. I'm just worrying if it indicates that there's something wrong with the LED.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bubbles are typically in the NX05 optic although I have seen a few in the LED interface optic. Neither effect the flashlight electrically.

Peter Gransee

Status
Not open for further replies.