Huntlight FT01XSE Cree

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if this is a flashlight worth buying, on flashlightreviews.com it gets a 5 out of 5 but I am seeking any personal opinions. Thanks for responses in advance.

Last edited:

riffraff

Enlightened
I almost bought that one. Opted for the new model Lumapower M1 in the end (also a 5-outta-5 light). No regrets so far.

GreySave

Enlightened
Just received mine last night. Mine shipped with both reflectors. The textured gives an output similar to a SureFire L4. The wide flood area is a little smaller than the L4, but the Huntlight trumps the L4 in output both in the hot spot and flood / side spill portions of the beam. The smooth reflector provides for much greater throw and less side spill. It does also produces the Cree rings around the hot spot. I believe these may be shipping with only one reflector now, so ask if that is important to you.

Overall fit and finish are good. Spare "O" rings are provided. It is a reverse clicky. The 5 power levels seem well thought out. The low setting is just right for me, but it may be brighter than some prefer. The strobe mode does its job. The darn thing played with my mind and I was behind the light.

All in all I thnk it is worth the money. Think or it as a cheap L4 with better output and multiple power levels, but without the SureFire warranty.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I really like the FTX01SE CREE. I think it will be better when I get the Textured reflector, but if you purchase one now, it should come with both.

The UI is great, very solid construction. Very powerful beam. I also have the L4, and I grab the FTX01 when I'm out the door.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Overall terrific value and one of my brightest lights; it definitely puts out more light and has more reach than my U2, Gladius, L2, etc. Love the bezel-down carry. One caveat though... I received mine from Lighthound and all was good until two days later when the switch died. Lighthound service was fantastic; I emailed them with the issue and they sent out a new light with a prepaid envelope for me to send back my defective unit, all within a week. It's the first time I've had a problem with one of their products but their quick followup has earned my loyalty and future business! Unfortunately, this left me not entirely trusting the light so I always have a spare even on casual walks. Mine came with one reflector and spare o-rings. The design is busy and doesn't have that Surefire "feel" but it is still a good value for an everyday beater. I also don't care for reverse clickies, but in actual use I've gotten used to it and can appreciate it... it's just different.

FLUXU

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for several weeks and am very impressed. The output is great and the different levels are very useful. Quality is very good.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had mine for a month. Fit and finish I would say are Surefire quality. All the tests I have seen show it to be brighter than tthe U2, and it has a nice medium beam. It is = to my MMag 3AA at its next to lowest level of brightness with three brighter levels above that. It is a good light with anywhere from 2 to 20 hours of brightness on 123 primaries.

Kabible

Enlightened
YES! I've had mine for over 2 months. It is my favorite all around light due to it's size, beam quality, choice of reflectors, versatility of 5 brightness levels and many battery choices (1-18650 3.7v, 2-CR123 3v, 2-RCR123 3v, 2-RCR123 3.7v).
I use the OP reflector for a really nice wide hotspot & smooth overall beam.

There are only two things that I think could be improved.
1) My pocket clip was soft aluminum and bent easily. I replaced it with a stainless clip. The new clips look different. Don't know what material is used.
2) The UI has an approximate 10 second reset as opposed to everyone else's 1.5-2 second reset.

That said, if mine was lost or damaged, I'd still replace it with another one.

coppertrail

Enlightened
IndecisiveFlashaholic said:
Thanks for the input! I take it this is a highly suggested light in the $70-$100 price range?
Actually, there's another contestant :) I received the Lumapower M1 this week, and really like the light. Very similar to the FTX01SE - all the different modes. It came with a 2-Stage tail cap switch which gives you 2 modes with a clickie.

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
coppertrail- I was actually considering the Lumapower M1, but, I liked the 7 modes and more light coming from the Huntlight. Nevertheless, thank you ALL for your feedback!!!

coppertrail

Enlightened
If I were to choose between the 2, I'd go with the Huntlight. IMO, given the lack of modes and the larger size, the M1 falls behind the FT01XSE.

jayke

Newly Enlightened
I have this light with both reflectors. It puts out a pretty large flood of light with a defined hotspot. Not as defined as the the M1's hotspot (which I have too), but it is more usable. This light is built like a tank and has an easy interface. I use this light the most out of all my lights because it has the largets amout of spill with alot of throw. You can't get better than that for general use needs.
I always use it with 2 RCR123's.

Joe

riffraff

Enlightened
Ah, sometimes less is more. I even dropped the M1's 2-stage clickie in favor of the "tactical" momentary/twist switch. Simplicity.

digitaleos

Enlightened
The Huntlight really is a great light, I just don't understand why they put such a POS pocketclip on it.:wtf: Does anyone know where to get a better replacement for it. :shrug:

Chris

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only flaw I see in the FT01XSE is that it can't tailstand. Other than that it seems to be the best in it's class. Still, the ability to tailstand is important to me.

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
For those who own this light: A few questions; is it comfortable in the hand, has anyone used this light with Tenergy CR123A's from batteryjunction.com , and are you impressed with the overall output?
Thanks again for all comments/suggestions
EDIT:Battery life question changed

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with the Huntlight FT-01 XR-E. It is the best light in its class (2 cr123 form, general purpose/barely tactical). It has the most output (over 130 lumens regulated), regulated at ~110 minutes on the highest level. Solid construction, excellent warranty from Jon at www.jsburlysflashlights.com Nothing in its class can touch this light when taking into account output/runtime/construction/versatility; not the Surefire U2, L4, L2, L5, Inova T4, XO3, or anything else on the market right now. The only light that comes somewhat close is the Lumapower M1, but that is mostly a throw light, meant to illuminate far away objects, without the "everyday" beam profile of the Huntlight.

Get the FT-01, well worth the money.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've come soooo close to purchasing this light. I really like the feature set, the run time, heavy duty build quality, takes CR123, RCR123, AND 18650 batteries, etc.

The one thing that has kept me from buying it was that it won't run in regulation on an 18650 cell, which would be how I would want to power it.

Dagnabit~! I want a perfect light, and now that I've gotten used to having lights that are regulated, I just can't see not having it for my primary power source on this light. So close.

Latest posts