firefox toolbar is in some foreign language!

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
after i updated firefox 2.0.0.3, the toolbar is in some arabic language, reads from right to left. i just updated it, the i repeated it. each time i put the last installer in the trash and it still shows the arabic toolbar.
was this browser a highjack from some trojan horse that my anti-virus and ad-aware did not pick up? atleast my favorites are in english. but everything elase under the toolbar is in arabic.
any suggestions. i will try a total uninstall, but i'm sure i will get this again, and i really hate to use the dreaded internet explorer.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
senecaripple said:
after i updated firefox 2.0.0.3, the toolbar is in some arabic language, reads from right to left. i just updated it, the i repeated it. each time i put the last installer in the trash and it still shows the arabic toolbar.
was this browser a highjack from some trojan horse that my anti-virus and ad-aware did not pick up? atleast my favorites are in english. but everything elase under the toolbar is in arabic.
any suggestions. i will try a total uninstall, but i'm sure i will get this again, and i really hate to use the dreaded internet explorer.

On my Apple iMac, absolutely no problems.

(10.3.9)

Did you download from a US/UK language site ?

Try prefs/advanced/languages/choose...

Check also update history

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know much about the internals of FireFox... But you can try typing:

"about:config" (without "") where you type the URL's... You can then either scroll through the many pages of configuration or try typing "lang", "tool", "bar", etc. in the FILTER filed and see if you see any "foreign" language fonts/entries and/or non "en" (English) settings.

-Bill

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I had trouble installing IE7 over IE6 on my computer also. I had to do a Google search to get help. I don't remember what I did exactly except that it had to do with permissions in my registry. I downloaded a program that fixed my registry permissions.

As for getting Firefox to work... Don't know if this will help but..... Check the Regional and Lauguage settings under "Control Panel" and be sure everything is set to English/United States and that all of the foreign language stuff is unchecked. Delete any non-English keyboards.

Good luck.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you end up having to uninstall Firefox, be sure to delete the applications data. Otherwise, the reinstalled version will likely have whatever corruptions were in your last installation.

To do this (after uninstalling Firefox), go to Start ... Run ... then type %appdata% . A folder window will open. If you don't have any other Mozilla applications installed, just select the Mozilla folder and delete it.

The beta versions of Firefox often required this fix for various problems, although I haven't needed to do this since 1.0.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hmmm, can't help (so like why am I posting?) - because my upgrade to FF 2.0.0.3 went fine and it doesn't seem to be a FF problem that others are having. Indeed sounds like a corrupted file on your system. :thinking:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Try Tools/Options/Advanced and under General you should see Language with a button that lets you change it.

Larry

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks everybody for your help. after the 4th attempt, I just gave up. it wasnt possible to access the any of tools from firefox from the foreign language. and I checked it was from an english site before I downloaded.
my only recourse was to forget about 2.0.03, and uninstall both my old 2.0 and the 2.0.0.3 and just completely install a new 2.0.
it' back in english and for someunknown reason, I didnt lose any of my bookmarks.
I thought the iraqi's were messing with me for something I may have said about them in some forum.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try building a home theater PC with ATI parts sometime.. sheesh.. I'm coming off hour 20 and I just finished. My solution was to scrap my all in wonder. Anyone want an AIW card?