New Engerizer folding lantern

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
I was in Target today and looks like Engerizer has a large folding lantern to replace their 4D fluorescent folding lantern. It now uses LED's in place of the fluorescent tubes with longer run time. Its a ugly red color and costs more. I didn't have time to get the specs since I was with a friend who was giving me strange looks. I can't see it being brighter so hopefully its just Target replacing placing the old unit not Engergizer. Glad I picked up a 2nd unit of the old ones when Target closed them out. I will have to watch to see if Target closes out the AA units. I could always use more of those.

Steve

SEMIJim

Enlightened
I've got two of the Energizer fluorescent folding lanterns: One we picked up at Lowe's when they were clearing 'em out for $5 and another from Target, recently, for $7 or $8 as a spare. I really like them.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
SEMIJim said:
I've got two of the Energizer fluorescent folding lanterns: One we picked up at Lowe's when they were clearing 'em out for $5 and another from Target, recently, for $7 or $8 as a spare. I really like them.
I saw them on clearance the other day at a Target for just under $4

Thought about getting them for a bit, but left them for others.
D cells are expensive. I'd rather have a lantern that runs on AA, since there's always pretty good deals on them.

I might pick them up if I see them there again.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Under $4? If I saw 'em for under $4 I'd buy whatever they had left and give 'em as gifts. I think I'd save another for myself, too. Having had to have used one of mine several times during power outages, I can assure you these are nice lanterns.

As far as the D-cells: Of course AA's are less expensive. They're also less than 1/3 the size and range from 1/10th to 1/6th the capacity.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
SEMIJim said:
As far as the D-cells: Of course AA's are less expensive. They're also less than 1/3 the size and range from 1/10th to 1/6th the capacity.
But the lanterns/flashlights that are designed for D cells also suck up the juice a LOT faster than the smaller lights too.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
SuperNinja said:
I might pick them up if I see them there again.
I went by there again today, and they were both gone, along with a couple of Energizer Hard Case pistol grip LED spotlights that I also saw last time.

I hope they end up with someone that would have appreciated them more than I would.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
The eveready folding flourescent lantern does not draw power that much faster than smaller lights. If you only light one tube, and using AA nimh batteries in battery adapters, you can still get a couple of hours of light. Even on one tube, the light provides decent lighting during a power outage. During a power outage last December, I was using nimh D cells in my energizer folding flourescent lanterns, and they lasted several nights per set of batteries.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
greenlight said:
By smaller, I meant LEDs.

I have a fluorescent lantern that runs on 8 D cells. It puts out a decent amount of light for a day, but its not worth it.

As far as runtimes and battery costs, I'd be better off with 2 or 3 River Rock lanterns instead of that one fluorescent lantern.