Advice needed regarding leave, medical leave and leave of absence

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, well, well, who would of thunk my voice would give out? Yup, I was mute for 4 days and could only whisper. I have been out of both jobs for littler over a week now and am still horse sounding and no way can I work 14 hours a day on the phone between the two businesses. I doubt I can for a few hours before becoming mute again. Ive spent 3 trips to the doctor, gotten a few drugs and an injection, plus an antibitotatic.

Although I have notes and support from my docs, the employers are a different story. One employer is the worlds largest financial institution, the other a mom and pop equipment company.

THe equipment company has no benefits and told me to come back when I get better. No medical leave, sick, etc and no off phone work. THe other job despite having a note for of phone assignments, said no luck and to take a medical leave of absence and come back when I am well. THe first few weeks will be covered by sick leave and vacation, then I am sol.

So? Short of looking for a new job, can I collect unemployment or anything in the mean time? If the doc writes that my voice is damaged, do they have to find work for me at their companies?

Thanks, I still have bills to pay, a new car and gas plus doc and drugs to pay for now.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
In California, State Medical Disability starts (if I remember correctly) at 2 weeks (assuming you and/or your employer are paying for disability insurance)...

On your voice--don't know you and have not talked with you--but I did work with a radio dispatcher a few decades ago who was blowing out his voice because he believed he need to be "loud and clear" while using the (one way voice pager) radio... I told him that we could hear him fine when he was loud or very soft in speaking.

From your post, it is not quite clear (to me) if this is a problem with a virus or just stress from constant use of your voice... It may be helpful to read up about how singers/broadcasters help preserve their voices.

Good luck.
-Bill

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I find that sometimes after a situation like camp, or a school trip, where I am talking/shouting a lot, my voice will be a bit worn out, and I will need to whisper. If you are in a similar situation, it may not last very long. However, with the talk of medication, it sounds like something else, and I hope you get over it soon.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basially, because I quit smoking last year, I am unable to withstand pollen, mold and other stuff like I use to. Sinc I quit smoking, my sinus system has become extra sensitive and the rainage caused my voice box to swell up and not work. So, its going to be an on going thing. Plus when talking about money or sale of equipment, you need a certain tone, volume and a few other parameters I can not describe to get the point across regarding money or sneaking past wives, receptionists and personal assistants to speak to the right person regarding purchases.

I see loomis fargo is hiring armor car drivers, I doubt theres too much talking on the phone for that job.