1AA River Rock Lux?

fishx65

Enlightened
I never jumped on the Fenix L1p bandwagon and was wondering if the 1AA RR I just purchased is about the same brightness as the L1p. The RR is about the same as my Dorcy super 1 watt with a slightly tighter beam. Tint on the RR is pretty good. Nice to see a 1AA lux finally show up at a big department store!

LG&M

Enlightened
River rock or Rock river? I have the dorcy & would like more info about this one.

fishx65

Enlightened
From what I've read, it's just a rebranded Nuwai X1. I picked it up at Target for $23.00. Flashlight reviews gave the Nuwai X1 4 stars so I thought I'd give it a try. It's my first 1AA lux and I was surprised that it's just as bright as the 123 Dorcy. I'm sure it's not built as well as the Fenix but it's not bad at all. It came with a pretty sturdy clip so it can double as a headlight when clipped on the bill of a ball cap. I always wanted a 1AA lux but was just to lazy to order the Fenix. I think this one is gonna get used alot until I decide to Cree-up!!!!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I just bought one last night and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not quite as bright as my 123 Dorcy, but it pretty darn close. The Dorcy also has a slightly wider spill beam. I like the narrow body of the RR better and prefer it overall to the Dorcy. I think it's a keeper. :)

redledz

Newly Enlightened
hello all, I also just picked up the RR1 Watt. Something to tide me over in my new 1AA light search. Overall, its fairly decent. The beam is fairly smooth from corona to spill. Tint is decent. Mine has an outer straggler ring. Even my reflector had a scrape or something in it, but it doesn't affect the beam that I can notice. I like the clip a lot and it can tailstand. The lanyard seems beefy, and the threads were lubed too.

Here are some pics
packaging
http://www.robards.org/~dmard/rr1w/IMG_5113.JPG
http://www.robards.org/~dmard/rr1w/IMG_5114.JPG

the light itself
http://www.robards.org/~dmard/rr1w/IMG_5120.JPG

reflector - you can see the scarpe in the 11 oclock postion
http://www.robards.org/~dmard/rr1w/IMG_5118.JPG

I dont have any other white 1AA lights, so I compared it with a Inova T1, just to see the beam. These are handheld at about 6ft. T1 on left. The lights are coming from an angle so the upper left quadrant is different.

http://www.robards.org/~dmard/rr1w/IMG_5125a.jpg

http://www.robards.org/~dmard/rr1w/IMG_5133a.jpg

http://www.robards.org/~dmard/rr1w/IMG_5138.JPG

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one last month... just to check out and because it looked pretty darned cool. Compared to the Fenix, it is slightly more bulky though if you didn't have a Fenix, you would be hard pressed to call it bulky. The finish isn't as nice as the Fenix and it has a cheap plastic lens while the Fenix is AR coated glass. Brightness seems very similar... mine might be slightly brighter than my best L1P. M RR has a slight violet tint which is my least favorite tint but I doubt I'll ever use it very much. The clip is much stronger than previous River Rock clips.

At some point I'll try to open it up and mod it with an SSC LED.

After about about 8 or 10 hours of runtime on NiMH cells, I've got 2 straight runs of 30 minutes on a 14500 cell and probably another 20 minutes of various playing. My guess is on an NiMH cell, it's putting out ~25 lumens and on a 14500, it's about 35 to 40 lumens so there isn't the radicaly jump in output or shift in tint with LiIon that there is with the L1P v2.5. It gets warm, but not hot at all if you are holding the light. My guess is the LED can handle the LiIon just find but we can't know how the components will last on LiIon until someone gets MANY hours of runtime with it.

I don't have a light box or a recording meter, but sometime this week, I'll do a direct comparison of runtime against my L1P v2.5. I'd expect them to have similar runtimes.

lumenal

Enlightened
redledz said:
Mine has an outer straggler ring. http://

Same here, only mine had 2 very off-balance outer straggler rings, which I found annoying. :barf: So I took it back, and bought the camo RR X-3, which I really like. (Very white, smooth beam).:rock:

Snow

Enlightened
Patriot36 said:
I just bought one last night and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not quite as bright as my 123 Dorcy, but it pretty darn close. The Dorcy also has a slightly wider spill beam. I like the narrow body of the RR better and prefer it overall to the Dorcy. I think it's a keeper. :)

I'll trade you a RR for your Dorcy. I got both and my girlfriend confiscated the Dorcy. Even though the RR is a great light and I love the lanyard, I prefer the unique look of the Dorcy as well as the quiet switch.

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
I like the look of this light. Can someone who has one tell me: can you get the head off in order to get to the light engine? Can you get the light engine out to get to the emitter? If there is no epoxy to fight, I just might try to get one and upgrade it to a SSCp4

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marcus Aurelius said:
I like the look of this light. Can someone who has one tell me: can you get the head off in order to get to the light engine? Can you get the light engine out to get to the emitter? If there is no epoxy to fight, I just might try to get one and upgrade it to a SSCp4

I haven't tried heating it up yet, but in typical RR/Nuwai fashion, it didn't come off with minimal resistance. I torqued it as hard as I could by hand (as in NO tools) in the parking lot after I bought it. I plan on swapping in an SSC LED when I get another.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my single 123 cell version open and pulled the light engine. It would be sooo easy to do an emitter swap. I just put the head with optic up to a turbohead module I built with an SSC P4 running at 917Ma. This does not work well, but if you put the LED just a little behind the opening into the head, the optic focuses the emitter so well that you can see a yellow square from the edges of the die and the lead wires. Looks pretty cool, but NOT good/usable. It doesn't even appear to be much brighter.
If used with a reflector this would be cool. Does anyone know the current going to the Rock River LED? I don't want to ruin an emitter. Also does anyone know how to get this damn optic and black reflector out?

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
Single 123 cell version? Do you have a link to a picture?

DaFABRICATA said:
I just got my single 123 cell version open and pulled the light engine. It would be sooo easy to do an emitter swap. I just put the head with optic up to a turbohead module I built with an SSC P4 running at 917Ma. This does not work well, but if you put the LED just a little behind the opening into the head, the optic focuses the emitter so well that you can see a yellow square from the edges of the die and the lead wires. Looks pretty cool, but NOT good/usable. It doesn't even appear to be much brighter.
If used with a reflector this would be cool. Does anyone know the current going to the Rock River LED? I don't want to ruin an emitter. Also does anyone know how to get this damn optic and black reflector out?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
He posted what he was talking about in another thread recently. Branded an Aurora, it looks almost just like the 2xAA or 2xC River Rock lights, but sized like a 1x123 light. Has the moon type beam pattern.

Grubbster

Enlightened
I took my AA RR apart today. I had to use heat to get the head off. This thing will not be easily modded. The light engine unscrews and is a solid unit. There is no access to the led leads without taking the thing apart which may require some destruction. :thumbsdow

Stan671

Enlightened
Some time last year, I bought the River Rock 0.5 Watt, 2xAAA and was very impressed. I just wish they had some knurling on the tailcap to make for better grip for turning on and off.

When I saw the River Rock 1 Watt, 1xAA light and the River Rock 3 Watt, 2xAA Camo light at Target, I bought them both immediately. I really like both of these lights.

I am not a fan of the reverse clicky tail switch on the RR 1 Watt, though.

I took the giant lanyard (that was bigger than the RR 1 Watt) and use it on the RR 3W Watt.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some beamshots. Distance is 17 feet. Camera settings are f2.6 and 1 second.

Fenix L1P on an alkaline followed by the River Rock 1W on an alkaline cell then the River Rock 1W on a 14500 cell. I will say that the L1P is the best out of about 8 different samples vs a randomly picked River Rock light.

Fenix L1P on alkaline
IMG_0907a%20L1P.jpg

River Rock 1W on Alkaline
IMG_0908a%20RR%201W%20Alkaline.jpg

River Rock 1W on 14500
IMG_0909a%20RR%201W%2014500.jpg