Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PECK Spectra

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Secur1

Enlightened
Hi to all the knife 'o' holics out there :p

I am looking for a small, slim knife i can keep on my keys.
At the moment i have a Schrade SS1 and i think it's the perfect size for my needs at 5" total length with a 2" blade and about 1" at it's widest point.
The only problem is i wan something like it only more durable as the fine blade on it has already started to show some wear, even though i have been looking after it as much as possible.
EDIT: Also a combo edge blade would be welcomed.

More info on the one i got
Schrade Simon Damascus Style
3" closed framelock. Schrade + steel blade with thumb hole pull. Damascus style finish on frame. Stainless and anodized aluminum handles with built-in clip.

Any input is welcomed, but please try to stick to the size criteria i mentioned, as it is the most important aspect of my inquiry.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget Schrade, they got bought over by some chinese company. Get a Spyderco jester, dragonfly, cricket or spin

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Secur1,

I would recomend a Spyderco Native with plian edge. I got one today and I love it, It is razor sharp and very nice fealing in the hand. I got mine at Wally-World for Forty bucks.

I hope this helps!

Secur1

Enlightened
I had a look at Spyderco but unlike Schrade they look a bit bulky, even the smallest one's.
The one i got is invisible in my front pants pocket, doesn't bulge or anything.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1 said:
I had a look at Spyderco but unlike Schrade they look a bit bulky, even the smallest one's.
The one i got is invisible in my front pants pocket, doesn't bulge or anything.
No man, not bulky at all. Go to Wal-Mart or a local dealer and hold one, very slim and not very heavy at all. Plus the pocket clip is pretty tight.

Secur1

Enlightened
No chance of that benchmade boy, got none of those in Ireland....

I also have a knock off spiderco native and it's thicker than the Schrade so it doesn't fit my criteria.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
As GarageBoy suggested, the once-proud Schrade line has degenerated to Chinese junk.

If the various knives others have recommended are too big/thick/heavy, consider the classic Al Mar Hawk Ultralight. Weighs only 1 oz., 2.75 in. blade, decent AUS8 steel, thin-but-tough micarta body, about $65-70 at better on-line dealers.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1 said:
No chance of that benchmade boy, got none of those in Ireland....
Woops, yes that may be a problem:laughing:.

Are you allowed to own small auto knives over there? Benchmade make a very nice, very small auto. You can get the 10610 (O.K, Red class) or the 3100 (very good, Blue class)

Secur1

Enlightened
Officialy no.... :p

Edit: Can you plz explain to me the Levitator lock mechanism ?

Edit2: nm i found it at the benchamde site :)

It looks interesting but again it does appear thicker than the schrade....

Last edited:

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Secur1 said:
It looks interesting but again it does appear thicker than the schrade....
That thing is not large at all, I think the handle is about as thick as one side of my native handle. Very small.

Can you have assisted openers?

carrot

Flashaholic
Consider: Spyderco Ladybug3 SS, Benchmade Benchmite, CRKT K.I.S.S., CRKT P.E.C.K., Gerber Trendy, Gerber Ridge.

I don't think you'll find combo edge on a knife in that size, but the Spyderco Ladybug and Jester both come in fully serrated, with a very small portion of the tip that is plain. I would highly recommend a Ladybug3 in SE.

If you wouldn't mind it not being on your keys there is a very nice tiny knife from A.G. Russell called the 2.5" Titanium Lockback folder. The VG-10 steel in it is top notch and the Ti scales are surprisingly grippy.

carrot

Flashaholic
Whoops, totally forgot about the Subcom. Got one in my pocket right now, as a matter of fact. Fantastic knife.

carrot

Flashaholic
The Gerber Trendy has 420 series steel. Pretty low-end steel so you'd have to sharpen it frequently if you use it a lot. I think Gerber is not as bad as knife people say it is. It comes out of the box with a pretty sharp edge and the only *real* ding against 420 is that it's softer than the higher grade stuff (IMO).

The PECK has better steel, AUS6, but the Benchmite has AUS8, making it the best steelwise out of the four, by a small margin. AUS8 has a pretty good reputation for being a good all-round steel, but I prefer VG-10 (about in-between S30V and 154CM), which is easy to sharpen on ceramics and holds a fantastic edge.

I really do recommend you consider the Boker Subcom as well. I use mine as a money clip and it is a great knife as well. Much smaller than you'd think from the pictures. You can also get it in comboedge...

Also, I'd be wary of putting the Chive on a keychain, as it is an assisted opening knife, and due to the little flipper on the back it may just pop open accidentally. If you're just gonna carry it clipped to your pocket, though, it is a nice knife.

Last edited:

Secur1

Enlightened
Thanks Carrot :)
The Boker Subcom is way too big for my keychain, which as it it sports the Draco, my soon to have Reef's titanium tritium holder, an Inka pen oh and i almost forgot, my keys :p

So i think i'll go for the Benchmite, due to it's slim desighn and good quality steel.

Secur1

Enlightened
It is cool but again, too big for my particular needs.
Now if the benchmite was part serated it would be perfect :)

As far as auto goes, yes it's cool but like everything auto/semi-auto = more things that can go wrong...

This looks nice too [font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Kershaw Ken Onion: Scallion
[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]400 Series Surgical Grade High Carbon Stainless Steel[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]But again the blade is not good quality steel...

EDIT: Hold the press !!! I think i found the perfect one !
[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Gerber Ridge Framelock
[/font][font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]AUS-6 Surgical-Grade High Carbon Stainless Steel, Black Teflon Coated[/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/gerber/g5898.html

Opinions ?

I wish i could afford this one tho....
http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/browning/br136.html

EDIT2: argh this is getting very comfusing :/
Any idea on the steel quality of this one ?
[/font][font=verdana, helvetica, arial]Gerber Ripstop I Knife, Part Serrated, GB-1613[/font]

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]http://www.knivesplus.com/gerberkniferipstop-gb-1613.html

[/font]

Last edited: