Really confused why Cyan Arcs are brighter than the White ones???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Newly Enlightened
The Cyan (or turquoise) according to the ArcFlashlight.com site is rated at 4800mcd while the White version is rated at 6400mcd.

What gives here? I've seen post after post claiming that the cyan (turquoise) is brighter.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Shhhhh....but want to know how to make shameless bumps less...shameful? After you post the bump edit it and delete it, you'll still stay "bumped" but it doesn't look nearly as suspicious!

Forge

Newly Enlightened
LOL!!!!!!!

Well, that answers a question of an entirely different variety, I'd rather know why everyone says Cyan Arcs are brighter when the white one's have a higher MCD.

I *know* the LED geniuses have the answer.

Saaby

Flashaholic
They're not. The Cyan ones are brighter but the white ones will give you better color reproduction, so the cyan ones are better.

Yes, I contradicted myself, why? Because it's all an opinion thing. I'll take white over cyan any day personally.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is Darell? I know he can sort this out...

I think the older turqouise Arcs were rated higher...10K+?

Darell?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought it was merely percieved.
eyes are more sensitive to cyan esp in the dark.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes as I understand it; human eyes are more sensitive to the blue-green (turquoise, cyan) wavelengths and so these color lights are perceived as brighter.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Actually when gransee made the page he mistyped that and really the cyan is 48000 not 4800.
grin.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
cool.gif

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Maybe some beam shots will help. Here's a few I did today. Same distances were used for everything (camera, lights, and targets). Same fixed camera settings were used for all photos. [EDIT]Yup, turq really is that much brighter.[/EDIT]

Up close shots...
Arc AAA 3.1 Standard White
Arc_AAA_31_White_Std.jpg

Arc AAA 3.1 LE White
Arc_AAA_31_LE.jpg

Arc AAA turquoise "EV"
Arc_AAA_Turq_EV.jpg

Longer distance...
Arc AAA 3.1 Standard White
Arc_AAA_31_White_Std.jpg

Arc AAA 3.1 LE White
Arc_AAA_31_White_LE.jpg

Arc AAA turquoise "EV"
Arc_AAA_Turq_EV.jpg

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's just say that i'd rather reach for my Cyan LS with a 123 battery than my Lambda Illuminator when it comes to sheer brightness (percieved or not).

People say that our eyes are more sensitive to green light, therefore making green SEEM to be brighter than any other color. Cyan, i think, is the brightest shade of green you can get. But sometimes i wish i had the Arc LS in white, because color rendition is more important in some cases. Plus, some of my friends make fun of me when i pull out a bright green flashlight. They are just not use to the green light and don't understand the practicality of such a color. I want to explain to them why i chose green, but then that would make me even more geekier than before...and how much geekier can a person get if he carries 3 flashlights? So they just automatically call me a raver when i am SOOoo not one. But when you carry a cyan Arc AAA and Arc LS...who can blame them? So i just blast them with my E2 when they make fun of me....just kidding.

grin.gif
wink.gif
(smilies for the way i got so off topic)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a bit confused about all that, myself...

"Cyan is brighter than all the other colors including white."

"(Orangish-red) is the brightest of all the LS colors and is rated at
55 lumens."

So-- which is brighter? Which to buy? Should I just buy a white and forget about colors if color rendition is important to me? Which of the colors is really more flexible than the other? Where did I leave my car keys?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cyan descriptor was written before the orangish-reds came along. I would update the site but the editor is down for maintenance. I will try to remember to get to it this week.

The cyan is rated at 30 lumens max.
The orangish-red is rated at 55 lumens max.

Peter Gransee

Forge

Newly Enlightened
Peter, so you're saying that in order of brightness, the order would be:
- Orangish-red
- Cyan
- White

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
The cyan descriptor was written before the orangish-reds came along. I would update the site but the editor is down for maintenance. I will try to remember to get to it this week.

The cyan is rated at 30 lumens max.
The orangish-red is rated at 55 lumens max.

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note, these are typical ratings and will be more or less depending on temperature, battery voltage, LED sample, etc. Also, the blue in spite of it's low rating, appears brighter than the white.

Orangish-red HD - 55 lumens
Amber HD - 36 lumens
Cyan HD/LD - 30 lumens
Green HD/LD- 25 lumens
Amber LD - 20 lumens
Blue HD/LD- 5 lumens
White LD - 18 lumens

Peter

Forge

Newly Enlightened
DARN IT! I just ordered a Cyan Arc from your site. I didn't see anything about a Orangish-red Peter. Did I miss it sir?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darnit! I finally decided late tonight to order an orangish-red Arc HD LS Second-- and they're out of stock!

As are the HD Cyan seconds...
Blast!

There's an LD cyan available... but...

darnit!

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
Hehe. You're about a week late. I've a cyan HD LS 1st on the way. Looks like UPS may have fumbled it though. Keeping my fingers crossed they find it soon.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPS has been fumbling a bit lately-- I ordered two turquoise Arc AAA's and they were scheduled for a 7/19 delivery-- but then the tracking report said "package misrouted" or something like that, so they'll be here today. I wanted them FRIDAY so I could play with them over the weekend. Blast!

I must congratulate Peter Gransee for his excellent service over the weekend-- I emailed [email protected] on Sunday and within about 20 minutes he replied. Awesome!

Another example why I've been doing a lot of word-of-mouth advertising for Arc Flashlight lately. Great products, great service. Now, if only UPS would get on the ball. And if more orangish-red High Dome seconds would come into stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.