Ultrafire C3?

sparkysko

Enlightened
EDIT: Ended up just buying the C3. I should probably leave this open for general discussion on the C3.

OLD POST:
Hello,

Been waiting for the mxdl style cree to come back in stock, and have been pondering cancelling and getting the ultrafire c3 instead or something else. Here's the mxdl cree:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2098

Here's the Ultrafire C3:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993

I just want a decently bright light. Must accept 1xAA and be short enough to carry in pocket. 3.5-4" is like the high end of what's decent to carry in pocket. Any chance the C3 might be any better than the mxdl cree?

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ultrafire C3 is worth 2X the cost. It's smaller, lighter, brighter as a host, and has much better water resistance. It has gold-plated contacts and a glass window too.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
sparkysko, Ultrafire has upped the quality on their C series lights.

I have a C2 and really like it. For sure I put in an order for the C3 @ $18.98 shipped!

(If these C3 were sold in your local superstore for $17.99 + tax, they would NOT be able to keep em in stock...)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would expect the C3 to be very similar to this:

WF-602A1_NiMH.png

SEMIJim

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
The Ultrafire C3 is worth 2X the cost. It's smaller, lighter, brighter as a host, and has much better water resistance. It has gold-plated contacts and a glass window too.
Okay, that did it for me! :sold:

Btw: There's now only one (1) left in stock, it appears.

moon lander

Enlightened
seems like this makes a great candidate for gifts, anyone know about this light? cheap, cool looking, and hopefully bright, runs on 1AA, 14500 optional. since my family and friends have no idea what a 14500 is, im only curious about the AA performance. will this be impressive to non flashaholics, or just a cool, kinda bright led light?

sparkysko

Enlightened
Kaidomain lists 50 lumens for AA's and 60 lumens for 14500. I don't think I've seen a higher lumen rating on a AA light yet on these websites. If so I'd love to see it :) . And no, i'm not going to spend 50$ on a light.

moon lander

Enlightened
kaidomain's lux reading on a 14500 are 900lux above DX's ratings on a 14500. for the same light. hmm.

and the "elite" at KD is listed as 53 lumens, on 1AA, for $10.

i think DX is way more conservative in their readings, but they dont test for lumens, only lux.

is it crazy that the "elite" has a better boost converter than the c3? everything else is equal (except for minor differences with reflectors and lense). i doubt this is true but who knows?

sparkysko

Enlightened
I doubt the boost circuit in the elite is better. The elite's boost circuit probably only uses 3 components. I'd imagine more are required to do some sort of voltage sensing for the 14500's, unless they just use a zener diode to direct drive the 14500.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one up from KD with a couple of unprotected 14500s. I'll be my first and only 14500 light, hope I'm not disappointed, though I suppose I can't expect that much from a 60 lumen light. The JetBeam CE I've been waiting for is about to ship too, will see how they compare for output (can't remember what the CE does)... It's going to be torture waiting for about four lights coming in from the other side of the world :D

Getting used to the wait though, three weeks for eyeglass, but so far it's been worth the wait.