What is so great about these lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am new to LED's can someone give me the lowdown on why Arc lights are loved so much?

Darell

Flashaholic
Good link choice, Budd!

The reason I like them so much is because they're dependable, indestructible, bright, use cheap batteries, easy to reload and they come with a fantastic warranty and customer service. Not much more you could ask for.

Except maybe a dimmer.
smile.gif

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jtintagliovat:
I am new to LED's can someone give me the lowdown on why Arc lights are loved so much?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just received my first Arc product today. I purchased the Arc AAA from TTS. It is an awesome little led light. It's got a nice blue tint to it. As soon as I saw it in action, I retired my maglite solitare from my keychain. One thing I did not expect was that there was no lense over the led. Now I'm a little worried that it may rub against my keys or some how crack. Is there a reason why there is no lense on it ?

thanks,

sylvestor.

p.s. Thanks Darrell for your advise on the Arc AAA. I'm sure gonna like this light.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Arc AAA is the best bargain I have ever bought for a light. I can't say the same for the LS@$160 unless it is substantially brighter or has other new overwhelming qualities.

aznduece

Newly Enlightened
But for the price of an ARC AAA LE, wouldn't a light such as Lightwave 3000 or 4000 be more worth it?

Don't the Lightwave 3000 or 4000 give more light than a ARC AAA?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
aznduece,

Yes the Lightwave lights give out substantially more light than the ARC AAA. If you are just considering cost and output, there are other lights out there that will do better than the ARC.

It is when you look at the entire package; size, brightness, durability, fit & finish, battery availability, customer support, etc. that you will find that the ARC is, dollar for dollar one of the best out there.

My opinions only....

Aloha

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I say that about the Arc AAA because I actually use it a lot and eventually the savings in batteries alone is going to pay for the light. Example: While on vacation last week a group of us went to a newly multi-million dollar renovated exquisite mountain view hotel to have dinner at the restaurant. Proper dress was in order and I had no reason to carry any flashlights yet the ARC AAA is always on the keychain. Afterwards we wandered about the place and found ourselves into the fairly dark ballroom which also had been extensively renovated. Because we were not sure if we were supposed to be in there, we didn't dare turn on the main lights. I whipped out the Arc AAA and it made quite the difference. No, it didn't light up the place like an M6 but it provided enough light to see the details and to view the fine paintings, etc. Everyone was quite impressed.

Lantern Jack O.

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>But for the price of an ARC AAA LE, wouldn't a light such as Lightwave 3000 or 4000 be more worth it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Arc AAA LE is probably not your best choice for $$$ value. IMO, the Arc standard white is a better investment. The standard Arc white is basically just as bright as the LE anymore. If you want a really bright Arc, get an Arc AAA turquoise.

Check out the thread below for some beam shots comparing the Arc AAA standard white, LE, and the turquoise "EV".
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=31&t=000244

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sylvestor:
One thing I did not expect was that there was no lense over the led. Now I'm a little worried that it may rub against my keys or some how crack. Is there a reason why there is no lense on it ?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sylvestor -

There is no lens, because no lens is needed. That LED is far tougher than the lenses on most flashlights, and there is simply no way that you'll ever crack it. Use it and abuse it, the bulb won't fail you. I'm ground the poop out of some of my exposed LEDs, and there just isn't much change in the beam. Fear not!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
p.s. Thanks Darrell for your advise on the Arc AAA. I'm sure gonna like this light.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're quite welcome. Glad I could help. And yes, you will definitely become good friends with that light...

So, what was your first thought when you fired up the Arc next to your (larger, far more delicate) Solitaire?

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
I can't say the same for the LS@$160 unless it is substantially brighter or has other new overwhelming qualities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
substantially brighter is a huge understatement. You can't compare the LS with the AAA except in durability. The LS is an entirely different animal, and FAR brighter. Almost $140 brighter, in fact.
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aznduece:
But for the price of an ARC AAA LE, wouldn't a light such as Lightwave 3000 or 4000 be more worth it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
BigHonu already covered it, but I'd like to reiterate: The Arc AAA is a *keychain* light. You will not be very happy dangling your Lightwave 4000 from your keys. Trust me on this....

Personally, I carry my Arc around my neck all day, every day. Again, I don't really want three C or D cells hanging there. Think of cell phones from ten years ago. They still work. They weigh 20 pounds, and you can find them for free. But I'll bet you'd rather carry a little 2oz phone like mine. Even though it costs more...
smile.gif

The Lightwaves are great lights for their intended purpose. But there's no way to compare them to an Arc AAA.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aznduece:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second what Darell said.

When I first joined CPF, I was looking for POWERFUL, yet small lights, and I found them (insert Tim Allen Tool Time Grunt here!) like the Princeton Tec Surge, (Arr Arr Arrr) and the Brinkmann Legend LX (Arr Arr Arr!) (STILL love those lights!)

I read about the LED's here at CPF, but I didn't understand the LED lights, and the one LED light that I did buy at Wal-Mart (Brinkmann Long Life) was not a good example of what an LED does. I started researching LED's, but still couldn't figure out why people would buy a LED, when they could buy, for the same money, or even less, a Surge or a Legend LX.

I bought my first ARC AAA when ARC offered a special, CPF ARC AAA LE to the CPF members. I bought it out of curosity, and just to say that I had one (you can't stay here at CPF without being drawn to the ARC products!) When I received it, I was mildly impressed, it didn't, however, knock the socks off of me. BUT, since everyone here at CPF just raved and raved about the ARC, I put it on my keychain and tried to convince myself that I would like it.

Actually, a couple of weeks later, I bought an Inova Microlight for under 10$, and felt that the Microlight was putting 90%+ the light that the ARC was, and then I felt like I made the wrong choice. After all, the Microlight is about 2/3 the size, weight and shape of an average car key, and that is way smaller than the ARC.

I later observed, that the Microlight (and I do like and still use my Microlight - I have it attached to my remote controll!) lost that intense brightness after using it for a while, whereas the ARC maintained the same brightness.

OK, now I was feeling a little better!

The second thing that I did to increase my percieved value of the ARC, was to mount it differently on my keyring. Attaching it directly to my key ring, it caused all my other keys to "fan" out and not fit comfortably in my hand, or in my pocket (OW!) I got a small, "ball-bearing" keychain (Like you've seen a million times), and attached the ARC to my keyRING via the ball-bearing keychain. THAT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE! My keys now fit comfortably in my hand and in my pocket, and when using the ARC, the keys didn't get in the way.

The next thing that made me glad I had the ARC, was that I found myself using the light very often. Working on a computer, at a restaurant reading the menu, in the garage, looking under a desk, in the backyard,whereever!

It was like my Swiss Army Knife (SAK), that I also have attached to my keyring. I also have a Buck pocket knife, that is many times stronger and more durable than my SAK, and I have about a zillion speciality knives in the kitchen that cost way more then my SAK, but I ALWAYS have my SAK with me. Sometimes I forget my Buck, but the SAK is always there.

So, my ARC is always there. The LW 4000 might be a better, brighter, longer running light, but most people would not carry that with them all the time.

Now, the last thing that, finially did BLOW MY SOCKS OFF, was when I realised just how much, even, white, pure light that this tiny light produces. If, after getting the ARC, you are not convinced that the light output is incredible, go buy (and save the receipt because you will want to take it back!) the mag solitaire, and compare light output. If that still doesn't do it, put fresh batteries in both, and let both run for 4 hours, and come back and again look at both lights.

Listed below, was the actual test that made me realise how valuable the ARC AAA is.

Find a large, completely dark area. The bathroom is not going to cut it, at least the living room, or a two car garage MINIMUM, or your backyard or open field on a moonless, cloudy night. If you can see your hand in front of your face, there is too much ambient light! It has to be completely dark for this test to impress you!

Now, let you eyes become accustomed to the darkness. NOW turn on the ARC! WOW! Look at how much light and how wide, and how bright and white the light is. You will feel like you have a 2 million CP flood light on your keychain! edit - OK, it's NOT 2 mil CP, but just stand in that totally dark room for a while, and marvel at all the useable light that the ARC puts out. If you were ever in any kind of "situation" where it was this dark, realise just how useable and valuable this light would be!

That is what knocked my socks off! If I were ever in a situation where it was totally dark, having the ARC could, litterly be a life saver.

Think of 9/11. Those people having to travel down all those flights of stairs, possibly in total darkness. I wish could have handed out P/T Surge's to every one of those people, but they had to act on a moment's notice. No time to run back to the office to get a bigger light, even if they DID have a bigger light at their desk!

This is the benefit of the ARC AAA. It is always with you, and in totally dark situations, puts out a huge flood of light!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Peter needs to put Budd's posting on their web site as a customer testimonial! Beautiful essay! A+
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wow Budd...if Darell hadn't already brainwashed me to Arc I think you could have easily done it with that one post! Now maybe this is the wrong place to post this but when I get my Arc (1 more Thanks to Don) I am going to stick it on the little 1-inch piece of fabric lanyard stuff that comes with every Mag Solitare
grin.gif

(And then attach that to my keys)

Also, when I started driving I found that because of that micro-lanyard my Mag would get a little fresh with me when I was driving (Because we don't have a Saab with the ignition between the front seats) so I got one of those detachment thingies and I have my Keys on one ring and my "stuff" on another, and then I take the keys off to drive and the stuff stays in my pocket!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Traser is the ideal complement to an Arc-AAA. No more lost Arc's. See my testimonial on the Arc web site.
grin.gif

sylvestor

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Originally posted by sylvestor:
[qb]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're quite welcome. Glad I could help. And yes, you will definitely become good friends with that light...

So, what was your first thought when you fired up the Arc next to your (larger, far more delicate) Solitaire?[/QB]

Hey Darrell,

My first thought was that my Arc's tint was very pleasant. From the posts on CPF regarding the tints the white AAA put out, I thought the light would be a deeper tint of blue (like royal blue or navy blue or something). But my blue tint is like the tint from a BMW's headlight. My second thougth was that my solitare had too much of a yellow tint. My third thought was that I should have got an Arc AAA a long time ago.

Now that I know the led is strong, I will start using it more
wink.gif

sylvestor
cool.gif
smile.gif

aznduece

Newly Enlightened
Man, Budd(Arc Preacher) really did it to me this time. I officially have Arc Fever now.

Went ahead and ordered 2 Arc AAA LE's from brightguy.com

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.