Inova-XO3 and K2 ?

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I was very tempted to purchase one of the Inova X03 lights while at Target today however passed on it for now. I like the new design with the reflector however I noticed while looking into the reflector the luxeon looked a little different......the base inside the actual dome had that octagon shape that I believe belongs to the K2 luxeon. Has anyone got one of these lights that may know more than myself and can tell if the emitter is indeed a K2?

Can you tell if an emitter is in fact a K2 simply by looking at the design and if so what are the key points to look for....I tried a search here however found nothing other than many threads of dissapointment with the K2. I do know the emitter did not go as planned however the XO3 I handled was very bright and tinted nicely whatever type emitter it had.

Not very much listed online either as all the sites I found had information on the older style with that TIROS optic....so does the new XO3 sport a K2 emitter ??

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, the new 2007 XO3s (with reflectors) use a K2, or so we've been told. Many are very disappointed about this, myself included.

Most retailers have been holding back stock trying to clear out the old ones first :scowl:, so you might be one of the first to actually see the new XO3. I'll have to run out and see if my local Target has the new ones in yet, but I"m not holding my breath about being impressed by it. Not after playing Cree for 3+ months.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I only have one Cree based light ( jetBeam CL-E) and it is a very good performer as tint and output is concerned however the XO3 I sampled did seem to be very nice.....of course inside a well lit store was no place to actually test it however for the most part the K2 in the XO3 seemed nice.

It would be a better light I am sure if it did use the Cree.

lumenal

Enlightened
Both local Targets in my area have had the new reflectored XO3 with K2 for sale for about a month now.

I've "tested" 4 or 5 while in the store over the weeks, and all seem to have a very white tint.

Not sure I want to spend another $55 or more on another Inova (already own 6).

But, that being said, if there is a sale, I'm sure I'll snag another. And I know I'll get at least one of the gen.3, X-1's, whenever they arrive...:sold:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm it seems my local target is just light challenged then. They're always slow on getting new lights out, never have the sales that many here on CPF post about, heck sometimes I never even find the lights posted here on CPF. And believe me I check and read empty shelf labels... I'm going to have to have to send a letter to the manager if this keeps up. :p

Anyone have some beamshots of the nex XO3? Preferably against the old XO3.