Largest Light for Jeans Pocket?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many others, I prefer the feel of a 2C or similarily sized light in my hand.

On my belt I'll frequently carry a one or two CR123 cell light. Still, I prefer the 2x123 in my hand compared to the single 123 size.

In the front pocket of my jeans, however, the smaller the better and my threshold of acceptability is, roughly, the old Fenix P1 size. I have the Arc LS and HDS U60 but they're to fat for me in the the front jeans pocket. Small lights such as the LOP or D, Arc AAA, even the P1 will fit safely in the jean's watch/change pocket but anything too big might fall out or be too noticeable.

I'm sure other lights come close to the above mentioned, in size, but I don't own them and used what I have for size reference.

I'm considering an Orb Raw 15/120 lumen CR2 size light that would be smaller than the Fenix P Cree series. Any other recommendations for a small, a least two level, 120 lumen, LiIon approved light? Cheaper than the Orb would be great if the quality is acceptable.

What is the comfortable size limit for your front jeans pocket?

defusion

Enlightened
actually, you get used to larger light quite easily.
i started carrying a surefire m3 in my pockets, and now i don't even notice any other lights!
It's always the largest thing you carry that seems to be getting in the way, but if you make that smaller, there's another larger item.
so i just decided not to bother anymore, just carry what i like.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The largest light I will carry in a front pocket is the Inova X1 (I have been often carrying the LOP SE lately because it is so similar in size to the old Solitare and is so comfortable). I have carried the P1 but find it a bit too thick so I generally carry that one in a jacket pocket, or clipped into the second section of a double mag pouch.

I will often slip an X5 or old version X0 into my hip pocket, the slim line case as oppsed to the bell head design makes them not bad to carry standing up next to my wallet.

firefly99

Enlightened
I have a E2D in my jean / pant pocket everyday. I think the 2x CR123 form factor is the max for me.

I love and prefer the size of E1E, so tiny, I always forget about it.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

The largest light I've jean-pocket carried is the Surefire Kroma. I didn't like how large the bezel was, it kind of dug into my leg and made the whole light feel larger than it actually was. I currently EDC a pair of Surefire A2s, in the same pocket, and find that it's quite comfortable.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

jayflash said:
Those must be some loose jeans, Bawko. Two A2s is too many and you should send one to me.

Send you one of my A2s? Then I'd only have 6 left! The horror!!! :D

The jeans I wear are pretty average size bluejeans, nothing large or special. They're size 34 waist and 32 length. I actually have room to put a Swisstool multi-tool in its nylon case between the two A2's to keep them from rubbing together, so there's plenty of room left over. I carry them bezel-down, so I can grab one of the lights and press the tailcap almost instantly.

Best wishes,
Bawko

riffraff

Enlightened
Atomic_Chicken said:
Send you one of my A2s? Then I'd only have 6 left! The horror!!! :D
:crackup:

Eh, BTW...STOP IT! You've almost convinced me to get an A2 simply so I can use your atomic ring-thingy.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
JayFlash, have you considered modamag's Draco? It may fill your needs. The Draco's absolutely tiny - about half the size of an Arc AAA - so it literally disappears in your front pocket. But it can deliver 80-100 lumens on high, and last 4 hours on low. (It even offers a 3rd, user-adjustable setting). This light is truly amazing. You're not getting any price breaks vs. the orb - if anything, the Draco's ~$150 price will set you back more - but it's the first light I've ever had that I can take with me *anywhere*. I spend most of my day in a suit, but this thing's smaller than a tootsie roll, and unobtrusive even in my dress pants. And with jeans...well, the only problem I have *then* is remembering that's it there, so I can take it out at night and avoid putting it through the wash cycle!

Hope this helps!

- FITP

highorder

Enlightened
firefly99 said:
I have a E2D in my jean / pant pocket everyday. I think the 2x CR123 form factor is the max for me.

I love and prefer the size of E1E, so tiny, I always forget about it.

+1

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Usually I don't carry anything larger than a Gerber IU in a jeans pocket. Sometimes I'll carry it hanging from a belt loop from a small carabiner. I don't have any high-power, single AA/123 sized lights. My brighter, larger, 2-cell lights are either hostered or travel in a parka pocket where there's more room than a jeans pocket.

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
I carry a L2T in my left jeans pocket, next to my mobile.
Regular 2x CR123 / 18650 lights would be just a tad too big.

I wish there'd be a 18650-taking cree light with the same form factor (small head), and no ultra-thick nuclear-blast-proof 5mm walls, that would be just about right... slightly shorter than the L2T, because to be honest thats the only problem i've got with it... it really ain't too fat, its just a few centimeters too long.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't an E2D chew the jeans pockets? I sometimes put my L1 in the front pockets and once it stayed there with my stingray wallet for a whole day and there was some damage to the wallet though.......

TMorita

Enlightened
I used to EDC a Gerber Infinity Ultra., but nowadays I carry around a cheap River Rock 2AA or a Nuwai X-1. I prefer either an AAA form factor for EDC - the X-1 is kind of at the limits of what I want to carry, and a CR123 would be too annoying for me, I think.

Toshi

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
tussery said:
I carry my E2D everyday in one of the side pockets on my carpenter pants and have yet to have any issues.
Side pockets are okay. They are larger than the main front and rear pockets.:)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Never been able to get used to anything larger than an Arc AAA or Fenix AAA sized light in front jeans pocket. AA lights just seem too bulky and heavy.

Geoff

dyyys1

Enlightened
I think that which flashlights you can comfortably carry in jeans depends more on where you put the light, how it's oriented, and how loose your jeans are than it does on how large your light actually is. That being said, I don't know that I would want to carry anything larger than an A2 in my pocket on a regular basis. Even my A2 sometimes gets in the way and I can't get to my wallet very well. Anything that large goes on my belt.