Can this be done? Has it already?

sawlight

Enlightened
I am not an electrical engineer, but I am a quick learner. I want a small light, in an AAA format. Everyone tells me to get the LOD-CE, I think it's ove complicated for my needs. I belive in K I S S, I want it to work ALL the time. A two stage is nice, but not even neccisary for my needs. I would like around 10 lumens for around 10-14hrs. From what I have seen of the new Cree's, it seems doable. I looked at the new Rebel, but 350ma min. seems a bit high for a single AAA? I wouldn't be opposed to stepping up to a 10440 if I get the times I want ou of it. I have looked and looked for a MADE light, all I find run around $100 plus, I think that is a bit steep for a light I will use/lose. I can make the body, if someone could either walk me through, or build the LE and reflector and give me fit dimensions.
Am I asking too much? Thanks for any and all help.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im waiting for someone to make a drop in using a rebel for a mag solitaire that set up would be ideal as the solitaire is as simple as can get keep it simple "stupid" is that what the last s stands for btw

sawlight

Enlightened
qip said:
im waiting for someone to make a drop in using a rebel for a mag solitaire that set up would be ideal as the solitaire is as simple as can get keep it simple "stupid" is that what the last s stands for btw

That would be intuiging as well!!!!!!

There are a lot of variants, Keep it super simple, keep it simple stupid, keep it stupid simple, etc.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Fenix E1. It gets something like 12 lumens and runs absolutely flat for 1.5 hrs on an an alky AAA and near 6 on a lithium E2 AAA. Simple, reliable, rugged (AR glass, HAIII natural, yada yada) 1 level $25 shipped. Not quite your light, but close enough for me.

BTW, there are various quality levels of twisty switches, and the E1 has the absolutely best type (spring loaded tail, direct contact from body front edge onto PCB). It should be as reliable as a rock...

sawlight

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
I use a Fenix E1. It gets something like 12 lumens and runs absolutely flat for 1.5 hrs on an an alky AAA and near 6 on a lithium E2 AAA. Simple, reliable, rugged (AR glass, HAIII natural, yada yada) 1 level $25 shipped. Not quite your light, but close enough for me.

BTW, there are various quality levels of twisty switches, and the E1 has the absolutely best type (spring loaded tail, direct contact from body front edge onto PCB). It should be as reliable as a rock...

Thank you for that. But I think the E0 comes closer, not by output, but run time, to my expectations.

Am I really out of line for waning a realistic run time without all the bells and whistles?

scottv

Newly Enlightened
According to energizer.com you'll need to cut current to the low side of 100mA to get that life out of one of their alkaline AAAs (9 hours to .8V 100mA continuous)
Lumen output of a Cree P4 at 100Ma?

Anyone, anyone?

All the info I can find is about how high you can crank a Cree XR-E.
Nothing on how it acts *under* 350mA.

And I can't find a puck/converter set that low.

But I also want what you describe, but maybe we can expect more lumens.

Last edited:

TMorita

Enlightened
Closest I can think of is a River Rock 2AAA which is 12 lumens for about 7 hours.

Toshi

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmmm........ good for you. Define what you want, and then keep looking for it until you find it!

Personally, I think the Fenix LOD CE comes the closest to being simple AND giving you the runtimes/brightness you are looking for. However...... you might take a look at this light:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=154068

I think it will get you the runtime you are looking for, and possibly even the brightness too. However..... as far as I'm concerned, it is one of the MOST complicated UIs to come out recently. BUT.... from what I can tell, the complicated part is getting it setup the way you want it..... then once it is setup.... it should be VERY SIMPLE to actually use.

Also, not exactly inexpensive, but then it does show that what you are looking for IS possible, so maybe this will work for you, or lead you in the right direction.

Good luck on your quest! :)

sawlight

Enlightened
At $55 the Liteflux is priced right, but the UI is WAY over complicated!!! I want simple!!!! Why do they have to make lights so gimmicky that it takes half a day to learn how to use it?

I will have to reasearch the RR lights.
Thanks guy, I feel it's just on the horizon!!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep...... I felt the same way about the UI on the Liteflux light. Gee whiz, what's with that. However...... it's that complicated UI that actually makes it possible to program it to do exactly what it is that you want done.... so .... don't be too quick to dismis it.

One thing I've learned is that some times a thing can read like it is very complicated, but in actual use, once you get the basic understanding of what they are doing, and how they are doing, it can become pretty simple to actually do.

So..... it might be worth your time to post a question or two in the Liteflux review, and find out if it might be worth looking into. Just a thought.

Calina

Enlightened
Not as bright as you would like but;

CMG Sonic :$15.00 and 10 hours run time.
UK 2 AAA : Short (side by side format) $14.00 and 20 hours run time.

sawlight

Enlightened
How about a Peak Materhorn? The hi power has 10-12hr runtime of a single AAA. Anyone? Good bad ugly?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
sawlight said:
How about a Peak Materhorn? The hi power has 10-12hr runtime of a single AAA. Anyone? Good bad ugly?
According to review, it starts out at about 6 lumens but drops to 4 lumens in about 30 minutes, 3 lumens in 2 hours and downhill from there. Typical unregulated alkaline dropoff. Not what you specified...

E2 Lithium AAA will run flatter but cost $2 plus each.

sawlight

Enlightened
nerdgineer said:
According to review, it starts out at about 6 lumens but drops to 4 lumens in about 30 minutes, 3 lumens in 2 hours and downhill from there. Typical unregulated alkaline dropoff. Not what you specified...

E2 Lithium AAA will run flatter but cost $2 plus each.

This why I ask before pulling the trigger!!!:awman:
Thank you very much!!

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
sawlight said:
...Am I really out of line for waning a realistic run time without all the bells and whistles?
Basically, there's no light which can give you 10 lumens flat for 10 hours off an AAA. As I noted above, Fenix E1 will give you 10 lumens for 1.5 hours off an alky, 5.5 hours off an E2 lithium AAA. E0 gives you about 4 lumens for 10 hours. LOD-CE on low will give you 7 lumens for about 9 hours on an E2 Lithium AAA, 4-5 lumens for about 5 hours on an alky.

Fenix is pretty much the state of the art for AAAs right now; and as someone else told you, the L0D-CE is about as good as it gets. Off an alkaline AAA, the LOD-CE misses your output goal by a factor of 2 and your runtime goal by a factor of 2. That is, the state of the art is about a factor of 4 below what you've asked for off an Alky AAA and maybe 30% off what you've asked for off a $2.50 E2 lithium AAA.

sawlight

Enlightened
You really put some thought, and lived up to you're name, in that post!! I know you are right, just wishing for more, LOL!!!
I guess an LOD-CE is in my future, thanks to all, expecially nerdgineer, for his paitence wih me!

JJohn

Enlightened
LED_ASAP built me something close to what you are looking for but, not quite the output. It seems to be about 5-6 lumens flat output for 11 hours off an E2 lithium L92 cell. What is nice is that it is in a very small Arc AAA host. This is still my most used light. Far more pocketable than the Fenix (IMHO). Miller Mods might also be able to come even closer to your spec's once he has finished up his other projects. I too would be interested in something like what you have asked for: A simple light designed for maximum efficiency with a very useful output level, good beam quality and tint, and minimal size.

Are any modders thinking of this type of light?