Alternative Arc-LS batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Ah! Ok...maybe your 1/2AAs, hey lets call them .5AAs. Ok. Maybe your .5AAs are actually .5 without the little consumer nub thing on the positive end. Try sticking 2 on top of each other but offset so it doesn't hit the nub, this is all assumng they HAVE the nub of course.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mag Charger battery stick is said to be made from 1/2 D cells. 5@ 1/2 D cells in a stick are the length of 3 @ D cells, precisely the 3/5 ratio that ChrisM speaks of.

My guess is that these 1/2 AA's are N cell sized.

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
Hrm, sounds like I should just stock up on 123a/223a's off ebay
smile.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
With parts curtesy of Peter, I had some AE sized packs made up out of AA packs. They're AA lin length, but larger in diameter by a few mm. I sent Peter the pics, but I don't know if he's made them available.

I'm running some NiMH cells in them which I salvaged from an old Nokia 2190 extended life battery pack. I've also been using some 1.4AH NiCd cells from the closeout radioshack battery packs that people were raving about a few months ago ($.99(USD) for a 2x2x3 pack of 1.2Vx1.4Ah AE cells. Not bad. 7.2V, 2.8Ah if you need that--or just a bunch of cells if you have wire cutters.
smile.gif

I'm very happy with the packs--the machine shop did a great job on them. They do lack the chemcote, as I have no way of applying that to the newly machined surfaces, but that doesn't bother me. I've even ordered a new SLS Red-Orange HD to use the second pack with.
smile.gif

Thanks goes to Peter for the 'blanks' and this wonderful light to use them with.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
...that ChrisM speaks of

Don`t forget the space and the period. There are two of us. He`s not me, but we`re easilly confused!

My guess is that these 1/2 AA's are N cell sized

There is a foto round here someplace showing size comparison. Let`s see if I can`t find it.....

.....yep. But is there a copy on the server?

halfAAs.jpg

....Not originally, but there is now.

As near as dammit N-cell length, but fatter (like me
tongue.gif
). These originally had solder tags fitted but I removed them in order to try and get `em to fit in an LEDTronics FlashLED. They did. It wasn`t the best performance though. Very low capacity cells....

rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
...that ChrisM speaks of

Don`t forget the space and the period. There are two of us. He`s not me, but we`re easilly confused!

My guess is that these 1/2 AA's are N cell sized
There is a foto round here someplace showing size comparison. Let`s see if I can`t find it.....
.....yep. But is there a copy on the server?
As near as dammit N-cell length, but fatter (like me
tongue.gif
). These originally had solder tags fitted but I removed them in order to try and get `em to fit in an LEDTronics FlashLED. They did. It wasn`t the best performance though. Very low capacity cells....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris-they now make those (now correctly called 2/3 AAs) in a 600mAh capacity.

Darell

Flashaholic
This cracks me up - but should certainly be expected from a bunch of fanatics, I guess
smile.gif

Here we have the only light in the world (that I'm aware of) that will function well with THREE different battery configurations... and we want more! Stuff like this is what keeps the CPF ahead of the curve.

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
Anyone use batteries other than the types that the packs the LS comes with are intended for?

I have been wondering how well two NiMH 1/2AA cells for 2.4v might do in the single AA pack.

Also came across something interesting here, http://www.globalsources.com/GeneralManager?&catalog_id=2000000003877&design=clean&language=en&page=ProductDetail&product_id=8821256552&action=GetProduct&action=GetPoint&point_id=3 000000151143
3.6v AA Lithium-Ion batteries. Question is how would you recharge such cells safely and could the LS handle the voltage?.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Maybe I am the only one confused or maybe everyone else is and doesn't wan to admit it but...

What do you mean by 1/2AA? Do you mean 1 or 2 AAs? I think only 1 will fit. Do you mean Half an AA? Isn't that a A cell...what do you mean
confused.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ryan- 1/2AA means "Half AA" which are uncommon rechargeable batteries the same diameter as an AA cell, but half the height. I have some here, but although they were sold as- and labelled as- half AAs, but are more like 3/5ths the height of a normal AA. Two of`em toget er are a lot taller than a normal AA. I wonder if that`s how they`re supposed to be, or if they were mislabelled?

Havn`t tried them in the Arc but I expect they are too tall to engage the screw threads. I`ll find them later on and give it a go though.

If genuine half-AA height cells exist then it might be a nice idea, trouble is that the voltage of rechargeables is down on alkalines so I doubt you`d get 2AA pack brightness, plus the run time would be short. But nevertheless for regular use, if you don`t mind the slightly reduced run time, don`t want the length of the 2AA pack and don`t fancy stumping up for 123 cells every week, it seems like a perfectly sensible idea.

wink.gif
grin.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
\Here we have the only light in the world (that I'm aware of) that will function well with THREE different battery configurations... and we want more! Stuff like this is what keeps the CPF ahead of the curve.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*holds SLS w/AE pack, pets it, mutters something, wanders away still muttering*...

Willmore

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lantern, Jack O.:
The AE sounds like a great idea!

Did you notice that Arc is now selling the AA tubes all by themselves? Check it out at the bottom of this page.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhh, haven't they always done that? The old purchase options were "head, 1AA pack, 2AA pack, 123 pack, kit (all of the above)". Has that changed? I know Peter talked about cutting some of the packs--like the 1AA.
frown.gif
My favorite pack....

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
Whats the advantage of AE just extended runtime?, is that the same thing as "A" size?

Willmore

Enlightened
Radiant:
Yes, longer run time (you can get 2.4Ah NiMH cells. Also, I like it because I have a bunch of old packs that contain these cells, so I have a huge supply of them.
smile.gif

I'm not sure what the 'A' cell dimensions are. Someone post them?

Status
Not open for further replies.