Is it possible to make a reverse clicky tactical?

SEMIJim

Enlightened
IndecisiveFlashaholic said:
I was wondering if this is possible. I have several lights that could use this improvememt.
"Tactical reverse clicky" would be an oxymoron. "Tactical," by definition, requires the light have a momentary-on if the button is depressed part-way from an off state. A reverse clicky, by definition, doesn't come on until the button is fully depressed and then released.

tibim

Newly Enlightened
I think he means "is it possible to modify a reverse clicky to tactical?"

Doesn't bug me that much but honestly if there was an easy way to make the conversion I would probably do it.

On fenix lights accessing the switch is a peice of cake... Could possible find a tactical switch to replace the original with...

-tibim

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
Although I appreciate the answer, that was not my question. My question is, is one able to modify a reverse clicky to make it "tactical"?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
SEMIJim said:
"Tactical reverse clicky" would be an oxymoron. "Tactical," by definition, requires the light have a momentary-on if the button is depressed part-way from an off state. A reverse clicky, by definition, doesn't come on until the button is fully depressed and then released.

Well, to be fair, I think that's just what he meant, how to make a reverse clicky to be a forward clicky.
And if we're going by definition, you could make a reverse clicky tactical, by let's say, jam it through a would be offenders throat. :p

And yes, I know about the tactical definition when it comes to flashlight marketing which I always found a wee bit silly.

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
Although I appreciate the answer, that was not my question. My question is, is one able to modify a reverse clicky to make it "tactical"?

Yes, Simply paint it Camo and add a couple of Nylon Straps to it.

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
I apologize for calling a forward clicky "tactical". I honestly didn't know there was another name. Thank you for the enlightenment. Now, could someone please answer my question?

EDIT In- Is it possible to modify a reverse clicky to make it a forward clicky?

adnj

Enlightened
How does LumaPower do it? They give you both switches when you buy some of their lights. Are their switches modable into some of the popular lights?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite interested in this as well. I would love to be able to MacGyver a crappy rev clickie switch into either a forward clickie or a tactical switch without having to buy a whole new switch assembly.

And btw the first post/ topic made perfect sense to me... it was just missing the word "into" between reverse clickie and tactical. Don't sweat it IndecisiveFlashaholic. :)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize for calling a forward clicky "tactical". I honestly didn't know there was another name. Thank you for the enlightenment. Now, could someone please answer my question?

EDIT In- Is it possible to modify a reverse clicky to make it a forward clicky?

No reason to apologize at all, "tactical" is the common (allthough IMHO not correct) term for forward clickies, or true momentary on.

About the solution, this might sound really stupid and it actually is, but that's how I solved the problem for momentary need on my fenixs. Click on the light, then unscrew it slightly until it goes off, then push the tailcap for momentary on. :)
I know, this is not really a solution, but it works for me.

But I would be interested in a real solution, if anyone can come up with one.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
adnj said:
How does LumaPower do it? They give you both switches when you buy some of their lights. Are their switches modable into some of the popular lights?

Lumapower's momentary switch isn't a clicky. To have it stay on you twist it.

Similar to Nake above. With the SL Stylus, you depress the tailcap for momentary on and it stays on as long as you hold it down, but for always on you have to twist the tailcap. I guess this is not 'tactical' but in a penlight it works fine.

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
I most likely could impliment another switch. But my goal was to modify the existing tailcap. Thanks for the suggestion though RCatR.

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
PhantomPhoton said:
I would love to be able to MacGyver a crappy rev clickie switch into either a forward clickie or a tactical switch without having to buy a whole new switch assembly.
Wait, forward clickie or tactical? I though thats the same? Maybe it's just because im sleepy, but now you've got me confused.

IndecisiveFlashaholic

Newly Enlightened
They are the same. My question is asking if there is any way to make a reverse clicky into a forward or tactical clicky.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forward clickie is one that actually clicks ...like the button you find on a maglight.
Tactical switch does not click, it is press for momentary on and twist for staying on ...like the switch you find on the end of an Inova X-series.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rather than hijack yours I will start a new thread on modding a reverse clickie to Forward clickie. My modded G2 uses a reverse and I will attempt to mod it.

Lets stop using the word "tactical" unless speaking about military action.

Link later