Plastic caps for Arc LS and 123 batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc

Newly Enlightened
Here is a picture of the one I like. This had been talked about a few weeks ago.
I had mentioned to Darell I would get him some to evaluate, I still plan to.

I will post a supplier for the cap, and the tubes. They are probably 2 different places.

They do fit nicely on top of the battery holders, with the battery in, or not in them.

They are a strong but supple plastic, I think the grease will still remain in the grooves of the threads.

I had mentioned them to Saaby during the Arc chat, and said I would post a picture, that is why I am posting, still without the source, which is on this weeks, to-do list.
P7210006-o3.jpg

Saaby

Flashaholic
Thanks MC but why would you want to put your Arc AAA in a tube
wink.gif

Just kidding, I know it's sad to have an Arc in storage and not being used but I still think (Especially when Energizer comes out with those Lithium AAAs they're not working on) that if you are making some sort of emergency kit an Arc AAA with lithiums in it (When they don't come out) would be ideal. That way should you ever be caught in an emergency without a flashlight
shocked.gif
you'll have a nice one on hand...and they are small enough to fit into the first aid kit or whatever you already have in your car.

mc

Newly Enlightened
Good question,
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> Thanks MC but why would you want to put your Arc AAA in a tube <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was only in for the pictue, it is back out now. It does kinda look like I wrap every thing up in plastic bags or tubes or something...no so, no lights in tubes..

Saaby

Flashaholic
I was only kidding though...there are reasons you might. I haven't tried it but do Arc AAAs float? In a tube they would. If I was putting it in an emergency kit I'd probably put it in a tube just to make sure it doesn't get goo on it if something breaks open...I can't stand goo.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well I have never had it happen with a First Aid kit personally but I was talking about like when you have a travel kit and the hairgel or shampoo or something opens itself in your luggage and gets over everything. If this happened in an Emergency kit I'd be glad I could take an Arc (this is assuming it's an extreme emergency and I've lost my EDC) out of a plastic tube and have it be goo-free. It's all very very very hypothetical.

Darell

Flashaholic
Can't see the picture, MC, but I know what we're talking about.

I'd love to have a couple right now for my trip. If you locate them and try to find me, I'll be out of touch for a while, so don't be put off - I'm still fond of you.
smile.gif

I'm glad you're still on the project!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about wrapping your toothbrush so when your hairgel (not going to ask) tube blows out you won't have to brush with hairgel. Forget about the Arc. Most liquids will not harm it.
smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
OH it doesn't happen often it's just a freak...no make that phreak accident when it does. Not worried about Hair gel HARMIGN the Arc just saying that if it is being stored somewhere and you protect it in a tube you're guarnteed a clean Arc. I know you could just wash it if it got dirty but I'd rather use a clean Arc for whatever than a stick one to find a tap top clean it off
grin.gif

leddite

Enlightened
i found a cheap source of caps to at least keep the tubes dust and goo free, and keep some grease in the grooves too... they don't fit with batteries in (use coin collector storage tubes from a coin store for that perhaps)...

what is this wondrous cap? ya know those little safety caps on the tops of some mineral water bottles with the squirt valve underneath? those. lotsa people just toss them. i happened to have a couple in a drawer, and they fit marvelously.

now, to shop "brand" :>

Catdaddy

Enlightened
I saw those tubes and caps at Home Depot a while back while looking for something else. I can't remember what section they were in. I will let you know if I find them.

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone is interested in rigid caps for your battery compartments, I've made some out of Delrin. They thread onto the holder, rather than hang on by friction.

Here's a picture of some of the ones I made:
holder-caps-1.jpg

and here's what they look like in place:
Both-2x-straight-on1.jpg

Please email me if you're interested.

JohnG

Enlightened
Originally posted by Saaby:
[QB]Thanks MC but why would you want to put your Arc AAA in a tube
wink.gif

ARCase.jpg

I keep mine in tubes to keep them fuzz free, to keep them looking as they did on day one (for resale, or inheritance), to spare my keys, knife, etc. from being eaten alive by the knurling while sharing a pocket with them and just because I think it's a good use for these tubes which are normally tossed in the trash can. I've been hoping to find some a little smaller diameter to keep a spare AAA in but so far no luck.
I would probably purchase some larger tubes for my Arc LS if a source could be found. I've thrown out bunches in the past but now that I want one......
frown.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I ran upstairs to get my US Plastic catalog.
They have all the sizes of caps and tubes.
Do a search for Tenite Butyrate tubing or Tube-pak
Generaly the caps are about $5 for a 100!
That should last ya a while (even Darell)
The tubing is less than .50 per foot
www.usplastic.com

mc

Newly Enlightened
cave dave, I don't see the caps John G and I have pictured. There is a clear one, looks like them, but almost $5. ea. it looks like.

Good tube stock link, and the orange caps, that are ok, but not quite them...

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you think those caps and tubes can be found at a local Home Depot or any other supply store? What would i ask customer service if i were to look for one of these?

"Excuse me...do you have any little plastic cap thingies?"

haha!

Seriously, i'd like to save some space in my backpack and put a pair of CR123s in a tube.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also look up "Vinyl Caps" for the black ones like pictured. The part numberes are 41118 through 41133 depending on inner dia and length.

I would guess the ID would be .75" and length 1" so part number 41129
$4.16 for 100 of em. (dont trust my guess, measure twice)
grin.gif

Edit: Ok did the work for you:
Black ones:http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product. asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=Plastic+Pipe+Tools&product%5Fid=Vinyl+Caps
Red Ones: http://w ww.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=Tenite+Tubing+and+Caps&product%5Fid=Polyethylene+Caps+For+Tenite+Butyrate+Tubing
Lots of other cool stuff too like platic polish and that Vinyl stuff you dip things into to form a rubber coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.