Draco- help me pull the trigger

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've been out of the loop and have not bought a light in over a year. The Draco seems like the perfect light to get me going again.

I've been carrying the Jil Intelli since it first came out. It was probably one of my last purchases. Anyway, how does the Draco compare to the Jil Intelli in terms of output, runtimes and beam?

Thank you very much.
Dave

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a Jil but if they are anything like an Orb Raw or CR2 Ion the XR-E Draco wins on all counts.

image-upload-3-797043.jpg

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
jayflash said:
So...the Draco is dual level, brighter, better built, RCR2, cheaper and most importantly, smaller?

What are you comparing it to? MOst likely it's smaller and brighter, and it is definitly not RCR2

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Draco (XR-E) replaced my U-Bin (now SSC P4) Jil Intelli on my keychain. I think, there may be some people that might prefer the more throwy beam of the Jil, but not me. I've always wished that my keychain light could be a Lux V, and Draco basically gives you Lux V output, in a light half the size (because of width, mainly) of the Jil Intelli. It's actually not dual level. First stage is Max, second stage is programmable (10 levels), and third is low. In all honesty, the Draco is the light of my dreams, come to reality. Nothing will replace it. There may be LED upgrades made to it, someday, who knows, but the form factor is just perfect.

Runtime can range anywhere between 15 minutes (high) and 1200 (was it 2000?) minutes (low), depending on the setting.

rdh226

Enlightened
jayflash said:
So...the Draco is dual level, brighter, better built, RCR2, cheaper and most importantly, smaller?
1) It's multi-level:
a) MAX
b) user-programable (10 steps, as I recall)
c) min
d) and some useless (IMO flash/strobe/somethingorother)

2) Inxxxxingcredibly bright (I've found giggle factor just slightly shy of the USL/Torch
category, and not nearly as likely to inadvertently start a fire or other such acts of
self-immolation)

3) Seems very well built.

4) Uses LiIon 10280 (about 2/3 of a AAA in length)

5) Dunno 'bout cost, I bought a Ti/TiN version, which was bloody expensive for a
mere flashlight (but damn! it's bright, and oh so cute too); Al versions are much
less expensive.

6) Significantly smaller (shorter) than Arc AAA, simply dwarfed by a tube of Chapstick.

I can't believe I actually spent that much money on a dinky little light; I can't believe
I've spent all my life without one! Now I have to get a Drake (gestating baby brother)
to go along with it

Summary: stop wasting time and just go buy one.

IMO, natch.

-RDH

P.S. LiIon 10440 (full AAA-size) extender battery tube also available.

Last edited:

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Sold!

First flashlight order in a long time.

Thanks a lot for the help.
Dave

gregflier

Newly Enlightened
I have had an Aluminum Draco for about a week and a half now and absolutely love it. I put it on a string and wear it around my neck. I usually forget it's there until I need a light. It is my first "custom" flashlight and is currently my favorite light.

The light output on high is incredible and the lowest setting is very low which is great for up close things when preserving night adapted vision is important. I use level 3 (~2.5 hours runtime) and 4 (~1.25 hours) for most normal things when I'm not trying to impress friends or preserve night vision.

The Draco is very useful to me because always have it with me and it can put out as much or as little light as I want. The beam is great with a wide hotspot with great sidespill. With the rechageables, it's free to use and play with as much as I want.

I have the "normal" length (10280) one and think it is the best size for me.
Greg

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
I was going to do the standard order that Modamag lists as a sample...

=== Order List ===
1x Chrome Draco ... $155.00
- FluPIC & Cree XRE
2x Extra oring ... $4.00
1x charging spacer ... $1.50
2x 10280 Li-Ion ... $9.00
1x Nano AAA charger ... $7.00

But, there are so many options available. Can someone please explain what the Turbo Head is all about?
* 21mm Turbo Head utilizing McR-18 & 1mm Saphire Lens

Thanks,
Dave

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo head is a larger reflector for better focusing to improve the throw. However, it was only designed to work with the Lux3 LED, it won't work properly with the Cree. I Ordered almost exactly the same setup you have listed and I have been very happy with it.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super Dave said:
I was going to do the standard order that Modamag lists as a sample...

That's everything you'll need. The turbohead currently doesn't work with the XR-E

Super Dave

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone. I have one last question regarding the beam.

The main thing I use my EDC for is checking out carpet stains at work during the day. I use my EDC pretty much like a laser pointer. Having a good enough spot helps me point out the stains to the staff. The Jil's hot spot is strong enough to show up in a bright room.

When standing and pointing my Jil at the ground the hot spot is about 9" wide. Could someone measure the width of the Draco's hotspot from the standing position?

Will the Draco have enough of a hot spot to light up the carpet if the lights are on and some natural light is coming in from the windows? For comparison-even the original Fenix L1P works fine for this. The Draco should be able to handle this simple task, right?

Thanks,
Dave

gregflier

Newly Enlightened
I just tried with the Draco and with the light held at about waist level (which felt the most natural for me). I got about a 9" or 10" hotspot that was defined pretty well and would be very useful for pointing out things. On most rooms in my hours I was able to use power level 4 (from bottom), but on the brightest rooms (several windows, sunny day), I went up to max to get an obvious spot.

Greg