Problems with my new Wolf-Eyes 6a/cree light

ss2nv

Newly Enlightened
Just got a WE 6a/cree in the mail. I went to turn it on and realized the tail-cap wasn't tight for safe shipping. So after tightening it up, the light worked just fine. Afterwards, I took the tail-cap off to check out the battery. When I put the cell back into the light, I put it in pos(+) first. And it still worked just fine. Well, after reading the instructions, I find out that the pos(+) is supoosed to go towards the tail end of the light. I immediately change it and it won't light this way. But, it WILL light up with the pos towards the head. What the heck?? Did I just screw up something? I've double-checked myself and know I not going nuts here. :confused: Any help?

GreySave

Enlightened
I think you are fine. I recell reading on "flashlightreviews.com" that when the luxeon lamp assembly was used the batteries went in positive terminal first, which is opposite the way they are inserted when an incan lamp is used. I suspect that the Cree LED lamp also operates with the batteries inserted positive terminal first.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't realize it before, but this means that one can't use the led tailcap and Cree module on the same light. Both led units want the positive flow from the battery. When using incan it doesn't matter, as the bulb doesn't care which way the current flows.

:awman:

ss2nv

Newly Enlightened
GreySave said:
I think you are fine. I recell reading on "flashlightreviews.com" that when the luxeon lamp assembly was used the batteries went in positive terminal first, which is opposite the way they are inserted when an incan lamp is used. I suspect that the Cree LED lamp also operates with the batteries inserted positive terminal first.

Confirmed: I just an email reply from PTS telling me that they haven't updated the instruction booklet for the LED drop-ins yet and that the cell indeed does go in pos(+) toward the head of the light. Good news for me! I thought I had messed up a two-minute-old flashlight.
On another note, after comparing the beam from this light with my P1D-CE, the two are almost identical. The Fenix may actually be just a hair brighter. This is off of my bedroom wall, though. I haven't gone outside to check out the throw yet.

Chawarito

Newly Enlightened
Phaserburn said:
Didn't realize it before, but this means that one can't use the led tailcap and Cree module on the same light. Both led units want the positive flow from the battery. When using incan it doesn't matter, as the bulb doesn't care which way the current flows.

:awman:

Yeah you are right, you are not able to use the LED Tailcap with the Cree module, though you are able to use the cree module with a surefire light without having to worry about changing the Pos to Neg. If you really wanted to use the LED tailcap, you can if you are willing to do a few very simple mods, as i did, though if you ever use it with a Incan again, you now need to put the positive in first just like the LED modules. I have no clue why Wolf-Eyes made their LED tailcap this way.

I also think this will void your warrenty though...