RED LED for Brake light application

Secateurs

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone!

Can you please suggest to me a high-power RED LED for replacing my car's brake lights?

I have 21W brake lights, so i think i need about 200 lm (maybe less - 150 might do it) to replace the incandescent globe. I would like to do this with a single LED. The CREE XR-E would output enough light, but unfortunately you can't get a red version. Putting a white Cree in would probably not be bright enough, since the red lens will absorb most of the light the Cree puts out. White LED's don't put out too much in the red part of the spectrum.

What's my best choice? a Luxeon K2? Would a single K2 be bright enough?

What about the new Seoul Z-power series? All i've been able to find so far is that it's 42lm/watt, but it doesn't say how many watts it's rated at :( Link

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
a single 3W might just about cover it, with the incan that is in there at its 2AMP, most of the light goes into oblivion when filtered with the Red lens stuff.
so if you use a REAL red emitting item to begin with, your efficency goes way up.

the issues i discovered with doing automotive, was:

the incan is 360* all the way round lighting. Almost all leds dont "Side Shoot" getting T-boned because your light doesnt show YOU as well from the side was a concideration to me.

There is quite a few volts of fluxuation, taking into account that you would need to have it run correct with your flashers, when the alternator is not functioning. LED lights for consumer automobiles are desingned for as much as 16V, wheras newer systems regulate down to as low as 14.5v , totally system dependant.

The resistance of the item is different, so many types of "turn signal flashers" will change in how they work. some cars are so "Smart" they think the bulb burnt out. Then they have Resistance Loads, that put you right back where you started. People will put in LEDs, then put resistance loads in that are relative to the incan load to begin with, spewing heat out without light.

The spread is different, while the incan hits the wide reflectors, the led can miss them completly

D.O.T. , if things arent certified by the almighty goverment organisation, your "fault" in the accident could change, some drunks lawyer that t-boned you could argue that the bulb you used doesnt have goverment paperwork.

i think they should use a 5x 1W type of system, by doing that they could form a "cube" of sorts that output light in 5 directions.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105654
here is the mod i did , resistered ONLY , to make it simple, and to test, this is one of them CENTER lights, so it mostly only aims back

because of varying conditions, possible spikes , and vibration and all that stuff, and because Cree and Seul are improvements on BLUE led, that have yellow phosphors, about anybodys version of a red is as good as any other.

having the highest POSSIBLE power dissipation capacity, would provide for the best lifetime of the part under varying conditions, so the K2 as a SINGLE item would be my choice.

Then, http://www.quickar.com/apollo.php?session=mqG9yAUc
see that thing, it also needs heat syncing, but it is an interesting platform for attempting to make a "cube" that would stuff into a normal incans hole

for my Back side lights, i am testing the "velocityled" 32 led unit, as it has quite a number of smaller 3mm pirannah type of leds, it is NOT "as bright as" but it was the closest to date that i found, that emitted light into the side of the housing ALSO.

for the motorcycle they had bayonett bases, with walls of leds, finally something bright enough.

trying to use "white" leds of any sort behind Yellow, and Red lensing, is a total waste, they are being filtered unnessisarily, and they are void in those spectrums to begin with, so it was the most inefficient use of them in that situation.

Last edited:

mboni

Newly Enlightened
There are some pretty good combination bulbs here:
http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

The 'tower' designs have LEDs mounted on the sides as well as the top, so you illuminate the reflectors in all directions. They come in red and amber, so you don't lose any brightness just by filtering.

I've got a couple of these in a motorcycle trailer, and they seem to be as bright as the original bulbs. I've just ordered a few more for the motorcycle, should arrive this week.

PeterScowcroft

Newly Enlightened
The LED you want to be using is the luxeon 3W.
This is the most powerful red LED by a long way!

I use two of them on the the back of my bike.

Each LED is easily as bright as a rear car light (which is what they were designed for.)

The side spill isn't much of a problem for me but I guess it depends on the chassis you are using and what configurations you are using