Der Wichtel

Enlightened
Hi,
I want to buy one of these lights:

Ultrafire C3
http://kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1428

MTE SSCP4
http://kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1364

The problem is that I can't decide between both.

The C3 can take lithium batteries and has a aluminium reflector.

On the other hand the MTE has a Seoul P4 which a like more than Cree because it's brighter.

So which one would you recommend?

Thanks

Edit: It seems that Kaidomain is offering the MTE with a T-Bin LED and Dealextreme a U-bin
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1995

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Is the SSC P4 brighter than a CREE, for the same drive? I have not received that impression. The impression I've received is that the SSC is a easier upgrade/retrofit/modification for Luxeon-based designs because it more-closely mimics the Luxeon's footprint and radiation pattern. Conversely: It's been said by some the CREE's heat management is better than the SSC's.

FWIW: I went with the UltraFire C3 CREE. Somebody here on CPF whose opinion I much respect wrote "it's worth twice what DX is asking for it." That was enough for me. Plus it's neat that it'll take 14500's.

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
I went with the MTE sscp4. Beware these lights may not be as bright as you think. The MTE sscp4 is diffuse with a very gradual hotspot to the spill.

I have a homemade lightbox, I measured 1/2 the lumens as a p1d-ce on medium.

Yapo

Enlightened
I bought the MTE SSCP4 from DX and its definately not 100+ lumens its actaully about 60-70lumens for mine and it doesnt run for 2+ hours either on NiMH unless 2+ hrs means till no light...although it could be possible that the one from Kai is different and actually is 100+ lumens...The lumen ratings seem kinda random some seem fairly close whereas others r way off

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the luxreadings on DX and KD are starting to be more inflated(allthough DX usually are a bit more conservative on the same light KD has). And in this case it's kind of weird, the MTE seems to be VERY bright if you read the DX and KD reviews, and the C3 not so much. But EngrPauls Ultrafire 602(same as C3 but with luxeon and smooth reflector) mod with a seoul is a little brighter than P1D CE on medium(which the MTE apparently isn't). And I'm pretty sure that Seouls aren't much brighter than crees at the same powerlevels. And in the user reviews of the MTE it suggests its not brighter than L1T, which is far from 3700lux in throw. I wish the reviews could be a bit more consistent.

EngrPauls mod and beamshots.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/160550

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
I just received my C3 today. I think I found my new favorite light. Cheap, reasonably high quality, easy to hold yet still easily fits in a pocket, and has a nice beam. I was comparing it with some of my other lights. It's about equivalent to the P1D-CE on medium. My non-Cree Huntlight FT-01PJ is just a hair brighter with a smoother beam. My Fenix L2T is not as bright (and a lot greener beam). My cheapy Cree DX steel AA light is just a hair dimmer, but a similar beam pattern.

So now I have my LiteFlux LF2 for my AAA form factor, my C3 for my AA form factor, and my Huntlight for my 2 CR123 form factor. Guess I no longer need my P1D-CE or my L2T :)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the luxreadings on DX and KD are starting to be more inflated(allthough DX usually are a bit more conservative on the same light KD has). And in this case it's kind of weird, the MTE seems to be VERY bright if you read the DX and KD reviews, and the C3 not so much. But EngrPauls Ultrafire 602(same as C3 but with luxeon and smooth reflector) mod with a seoul is a little brighter than P1D CE on medium(which the MTE apparently isn't). And I'm pretty sure that Seouls aren't much brighter than crees at the same powerlevels. And in the user reviews of the MTE it suggests its not brighter than L1T, which is far from 3700lux in throw. I wish the reviews could be a bit more consistent.
In the case of Kai though, the lumen numbers (not lux) seem to be fairly conservative, at least based on the units I've received.

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
No, I bought it from the guy on Dealer's Corner. It was a classic bait and switch. Since I'm only out $10 I'm not going to get bent out of shape over it. Ordered it on 3/31 and it was sent out on 4/3. Received on 4/11.