Surefire lanyard kit

firefly99

Enlightened
The snap gate clip that is included in the lanyard kit.
Anyone know what is the metal use to make the clip ?

Where can I get a similar clip ?

Thanks.

Gordov2

Enlightened
I actually do not the clip on the lanyard ring that came with my M3-CB. Having taken the lanyard on and off very gently, fewer than ten times, the clip has been scratched, peeled and flecked off the coating.

The above makes me think about my M3-CB: Everyone makes so much out of the HAIII coating... and the head of my M3-CB scratches faily easily (simply by inserting it into it's SF holster). And as I mention above, so does the clip (don't know if it has the same coating). But the bottom line is that I really feel the Surefire HAIII coating isn't all it's cracked up to be, or my expectations are too high. I can say the the coating on my other lights (some of which are HAII) seem to hold up better than Surefire's.

Makes me wonder if the marketing department at Surefire is actually better than the manufacturing department.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Gordov, stainless steel can't be hard anodized in the same way aluminum is - you are comparing 2 different materials and finishes. HA is tougher than a lot of things, but not indestructible.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
HA is tougher than a lot of things, but not indestructible.
Excellent point. It's also useful to remember that HA is something like the shell on an egg. Eggshells are actually rather strong, but they are brittle and the surface underneath is soft and squishly. HA over aluminum is much the same way. The aluminum is soft, and easily dented. The HA is brittle and very thin. It can be chipped or damaged by denting the aluminum underneath.

If HA is so tough, why don't they skip the aluminum entirely and make the light out of solid HA? :lolsign:

Gordov2

Enlightened
I know you're kidding, but good point!

Bottom line for me is that HAIII is so highly touted by every manufacturer of the lights we talk about on this forum, that one is led to believe HAIII is actually tougher than it really is. It's certainly hyped on Surefire's website... Therefore, when I inserted my new M3-CB into my brand new SF V71 holster for the first time and it put a nice big scratch on my light; I was pissed.

As far as the argument that these lights are made to be used, etc... that's fine. Nevertheless, being scratched by its own holster specifically designed for it? Nope! Definitely a let down. So when I read all the other marketing material from Surefire, I have to take it with a grain of salt. Moreover, for a product that is touted as the best of the best by many folks, again my scratch experience was a real let down.

With all of the above said, Surefire did make it right by sending me a new head for my M3-CB. I removed the steel springs from the inside of the holster - no more scratches and holster holds fine.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gordov2 said:
I removed the steel springs from the inside of the holster - no more scratches and holster holds fine.
I have found that rubbing some softer metals - keys made of brass, or some other alloys - against a HA finish will leave a mark that could be mistaken for a scratch. It is actually more like a mark on a chalk board. The softer metal rubs off, and small particles get stuck in the surface of the HA. You can usually buff the mark back out, and the original HA finish is as spotless as it was before.

I noticed this effect a lot when my Fenix L0P was brand new. I put it on my keychain, and was constantly wiping off key marks. Of course, over time it does acquire true scratches in the HA finish, particularly at the edges.

Last edited:

Gordov2

Enlightened
Unfortunately, the scratches I have are the real deal. The HAIII finish has indeed been scratched off. I wish it could be buffed out. As another poster indicated, the HA finish is really a fairly thin, brittle covering over the aluminum. Sort of like an eggshell - hard on the outside, soft on the inside.

byron8

Newly Enlightened
My SF HIII seems to scratch and ding much easier than any other light I got that is not HIII. I don't want to put the lanyard clip because it will scratch it for sure. I dropped my E2D once and there were dings, chips, silver metal showing all over the place. Made a nice looking light ugly pretty fast. It is over rated for sure and not a prority when buying lights.

Latest posts