L2T mod gone wrong?

ginaz

Enlightened
i love my L2T and had put a SV1J in it a while back as i love that tint for outdoors use. well, i had a seoul V0 laying around and when i saw that the seoul reflector was a great match for the L2T head, the soldering iron came out.

after swapping the led i fired it up... nothing. when i loosened the body it came on and was amazing! my thought was that the pill needed to be seated in the head a little further so i tightened it down and this time i fired it up... nothing. i took it apart again and hooked it to my power supply and saw that it actually was coming on but very dim and only pulling maybe 30ma @ 3v.

any ideas what has happened here? did the reflector bridge something on the converter?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you isolate the slug? The slug is postive, and will short out on the negative heatsink.

Take your DMM and set it to the lowest ohm setting, measure from the heatsink to the postive lead of the LED. If it doesn't show infinite ohms, then you have a problem!

ginaz

Enlightened
nope, the slug is isolated. i'm pretty sure i fried the board somehow as i noticed an unpleasant odor coming from it. anyone recommend a good replacement converter?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are probably pushing the emitter down with the reflector until it shorts. You can't just tighten the pill in to install it.

ginaz

Enlightened
yes, that does seem to be the case. what should be done differently?

on to replacements... would a badboy 500 work as a replacement? does it have contact pads + and - on the backside?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've posted multiple times how to isolate the slug.

For the Fenix AA lights, I recommend using .015" thick copper, 1/4" diameter.

For the seoul emitter, please make sure the reflector does not press on the emitter.

My trick for this light involves epoxying the pill short of reaching the reflector. I've successfully done this to all Fenix AA's I've done (probably more than a dozen).

The procedure below is done after I have already confirmed the emitter is perfectly centered and the pill operates properly.

I clean the threads really well with a dental pick and alcohol. I apply thermal epoxy in the mid-lower portion of the head threads. I gently turn the pill in until it lightly reaches the reflector, then turn it back away from the reflector 1/4 turn. I slowly install the tailcap with the batteries in and tail switch OFF. I watch the emitter as I turn the tailcap. When the emitter starts to move, I turn about 1/8 total and stop turning. I let the epoxy cure there.