unusual way of dealing with bees

Illum

Flashaholic
I can't figure out why bees would congregate on the swing sets:ohgeez:
hes probably a dad trying to protect his kids, found these on another forum so rather than transfer the link i just linked the images over...

WNG

Enlightened
Maybe they were attracted by the hollow cavity of the hinge assembly. A secure retreat for the core of a hive, perhaps.

Obviously, there's no place for it in his backward swing. But I would probably thought it out better than his method.
:p

A CO2 fire extinguisher could have stunned them all with cold and loss of oxygen.
Or even a can of engine degreaser and a bic lighter could have produced a 2 meter long flamethrower and took them out quickly without the fire hazard of throwing a bucket of gasoline into the fireplace.
LOL!

I don't think they are the africanized variety, they would have attacked him after he threw the tow hitch.

FrogsInWinter

Enlightened
WNG said:
I don't think they are the africanized variety, they would have attacked him after he threw the tow hitch.

Ah that's very true. IIRC killer bees will sometimes go upto a mile(?) to attack trespassers/threats to the hive.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad. Any beekeeper would have captured them and placed them in a hive. Usually for free. A call to animal control, county agriculture agent, or city/county health department would probably have gotten the name and phone number of several keepers.

When bees gather like this, they've followed a new queen that's left an existing hive. They were not planning to hive in the swingset - that's just where the queen stopped to rest.

Bees may well be one of the most important animals on earth. Without their pollination, there would be much less food plants, flowers, etc.

Guarantee they were not africanized. I've been swarmed twice. The africans will kick your *** and not let go. Just for getting close.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine what he'll do if he ever finds rats in his home!

LOL insane dude! I bet his kids hate him for burning down the swings.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
BIGIRON said:
Too bad. Any beekeeper would have captured them and placed them in a hive. Usually for free....
That wasn't how it worked for me. Animal control said it would cost $200 for them to come out and clean up swarm of bees in one of our bushes. I called several local beekeepers and they all said no because of the risk of introducing Africanized genes from wild bees into their hives.

I thought about it overnight, but they had left by themselves in the morning.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been awhile (like five years) that I had a keeper pick up a swarm. I know of at least two others that have been captured, but that's been a few years ago also.

The fear of the african gene makes sense.

I really hate to seem them destroyed, but there is a time and place for everything.

bitslammer

Enlightened
I had a swarm on my shed once.I found them in the morning and I gave them the better part of the day to see if they were going to rest & move on. I then decided in the later afternoon that they should be rested and didn't want them getting any ideas about how my shed would make a nice new home. A simple water hose and sprinkler convinced them that my shed was no longer a good place to be. They moved on.

No stings for me, no bees harmed, and no property incinerated.