JetBeamn Mk IIx question

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
i am considering using the JetBeam Mk IIx with either a 14500 3.6v rechargeable li-ion battery or a tl-2100 3.6v CMOS battery. i have read that the JetBeam CL-E, once a 3.6v battery is used that the flashlight will no longer function with a alkaline or any ~1.5v battery. is this the case with the JetBeam Mk IIx as well?

It is clear that the original JetBeam as well as the Mk II can take a ~3.6v battery but no literature/info on the Mk IIx.

thanks in advance

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
works great with 14500. good output. and it will still work fine on aa.

Tendermoves

Newly Enlightened
I have the 2AA extension tube. Does it work with two 14500's without burning the light out?

-TM

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
Tendermoves said:
I have the 2AA extension tube. Does it work with two 14500's without burning the light out?

-TM

i don't think that would be a good idea. won't it be over 7 volts? i don't think the bulb or circuit board is designed for that...

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
The JetBeam Mk IIx was designed for and works great with a 14500. I have no complaints.

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
thanks, any idea on the CMOS battery? the battery is the size if a AA, behaves like the 14500 rechageabel but does not recharge. it is lithium and the part i am concerned is the amps, it is rated at 2.1 amps

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
as for the 2 14500 configuration, the driver is rated to handle no more than 4.5v, as stated by alohasurtoad. the light will likely work for a bit as the driver begins to overheat and eventually under temeprature duress will fail.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
SoundMix said:
The JetBeam Mk IIx was designed for and works great with a 14500. I have no complaints.

Do I lot of people use it with the 14500?

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
btw, i use a protected 14500/750mah in my mkIIx. i found the light output with a "normal" AA to be unimpressive, even with a cree. with the 14500 it has a very impressive output...

moon lander

Enlightened
i wonder if the 2AA tube on emilions site will fit the mk2x. there must be a way to make a cheap one.

Last edited:

Tendermoves

Newly Enlightened
moon lander said:
i wonder if the 2AA tube on emilions site will fit the mk2x. there must be a way to make a cheap one.

Yes it does if you are talking about the 2AA tube for the MKII. That's the one I got and it works fine.

-TM

Tendermoves

Newly Enlightened
alohasurftoad said:
i don't think that would be a good idea. won't it be over 7 volts? i don't think the bulb or circuit board is designed for that...

Has anyone tried using a 14500 combined with an Energizer E2/alkaline? Would that have any bad effects?

-TM

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
the E2 14500 combo would not be a good idea as the voltage would be around 5.35v and the driver handles 4.5v. as for cheap tubes, see if a local machineist would machine a tube out to spec, use T6061 aluminum, bring the original tube with you and explain how it should fit (internal thread to accept the original tube and then the tail cap).

Mavzor

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for this thread, it answered what I was about to ask!
Now to find somewhere in Australia that sells *protected* 14500's :(

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
I can't believe there are still people HERE!, asking if mixin an 14500 and an AA Lithium cell will harm the light or oneself. Just try the search function, it won#t bit or kill you.
Note: Is is very likely that one cell will try to charge the other one, when using different cells together. The most harmless thing could be you are frying the light.
Another scenario COULD be an exploding light!

I know it's nearly useless to say, because there is always someone who is going to try it, but NEVER, NEVER mix different cells together in one device.

Thx and best regards Mr. Urahara

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1, As Mr.Urahara reloaded said never ever mix different sell types( battery composition) or batteries in different states of charge in the same light. If the 14500 trys to charge the primary it could vent, building up dangerous pressure. Besides the light cannot take more than 4.2v which is what one 14500 is fresh off the charger. You can use 1 or 2 AA's(~3.0v), or only 1 14500(4.2v)