What LED (2x123) has the baddest punch (throw)?

rjwpavo

Newly Enlightened
Hello all! You folks sure have got a boatload of excellent info here! Maybe you can make it easier for this first time poster... I am looking to buy a flashlight. I have only used incans before, but I figured I'd try an LED for longer runtimes and efficiency. I want to use it for walking around a pond at night spotting for snakes, vermin, etc. Also, what LED flashlight gives off the most light area-wise (flood)? TIA!!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy rjwpavo, and welcome to CPF!

Well, you picked a good time to get into an LED based light, as the new Cree and Seoul LEDs are beginning to make their way into many new lights. These new LEDs are much brighter and more effecient than the best LEDs of just a year ago.

You will no doubt get many recommendations, but I would suggest you head on over to the review area and start reading. Give yourself a week or two of daily CPF and you will begin to get a feel for what's most appropriate for your situation.

To get you started, you could also look here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/buyers_guide.htm

Also check out the list at the top of the LED section (where you are now), this is a fairly complete list of the newest lights featuring the Cree and Seoul LEDs.

A few things to consider when you are looking (and asking for recommendations). Price, size, rechargeable batteries or primary?, run-time, beam pattern, optic or reflector, drop-in module to convert a current Maglite, etc.

Ok....... have fun...... and above all............ hold on to your wallet! :)

Chao

Enlightened
Howdy :wave:, Welcome to CPF, surefire L4 is my favorite floody light.

T4R06

Enlightened
oh c'mon get the M1 w/ smooth reflector and put AW's 2 x R123 and you will get 50mins of runtime. though you will get more on 18650 but less output than 2 x R123

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Your thread title asks about throw, but your post suggests you're looking for flood. For your purposes, I suspect floodiness would be more important than throw. To that end: Probably the best light currently is a 1xCR123: The AmiLite Neo T5. But don't try to put 3.6V rechargable RCR123's in it. Check flashlightreviews.com for the review and caveats.

redledz

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend you get an LED like the Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon for throw and long runtime or a good long runtime flooder say maybe a Streamlight headlamp. This way you can get the long runtime and decide if you think LED will be the way to go for spotting critters at night. (Some people prefer incandescent for outdoors) If you like, then move up to the high end models like the Cree or Seoul lights.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
rjwpavo said:
I have a feeling this is going to be as bad as my gun addiction...$$$$

Yep, for me it's bass guitars, recording gear, and stereo (er....home theater) equipment.

However..... there is hope! With just a little research you really can narrow the field down to what you actually need, start with that...... and then SLOWLY begin to add additional "needed" lights.

For instance, if you use your light a lot, say every night, or a couple of nights a week... it will be cheaper in the long run to look into rechargeable batteries.... and to make sure the light you get can use those.

If you already have a Maglite..... some new LED drop-in modules are just coming on-line that offer increased brightness and extended runtimes for only about $35 delivered.... and that might be all you need..... for now. Those are as simple to install as unscrewing the front of the light, taking out the lens, reflector, and bulb..... screwing in the LED...... replacing the reflector and lens..... and then screwing the bezel back on.

That's it.... you're now ready to go with just ordinary C or D batteries..... and you can always buy rechargeable NiMh C or D batteries if you want to go that route.

Ok.... have fun!

rjwpavo

Newly Enlightened
Ok, for clarifications I thought maybe I should buy 2- 1 fer spotiin and 1 fer floodin, but if I can get both i n 1, then thast even better. Primary batteries for me, and if it can be carried in a holster that'd be nice as well. Up to $75 preferably.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
rjwpavo said:
Hello all! You folks sure have got a boatload of excellent info here! Maybe you can make it easier for this first time poster... I am looking to buy a flashlight. I have only used incans before, but I figured I'd try an LED for longer runtimes and efficiency. I want to use it for walking around a pond at night spotting for snakes, vermin, etc. Also, what LED flashlight gives off the most light area-wise (flood)? TIA!!
The SureFire L4 is the supreme King of Flood. But now with the new AmiLite Neo T5, you get similar "floodiness", same or more brightness for half of the price. You can't go wrong with either one though..

Welcome to CPF!:rock:

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Hard to beat a good incan for spotting animals outdoors. Maybe a G2 for spotting and a good lux or cree for flood, spot and runtime. The only reason I say the G2 is because the huge super bright spot might stop you from stepping on one of those scary snakes!

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
rjwpavo said:
Ok, for clarifications I thought maybe I should buy 2- 1 fer spotiin and 1 fer floodin, but if I can get both i n 1, then thast even better. Primary batteries for me, and if it can be carried in a holster that'd be nice as well. Up to $75 preferably.
How about a Wolf-Eyes 6AX Sniper with a Cree LED? You can get one for about $75 + shipping at Pacific Tactical Solutions. Rated at 130 lumens and you can get a nylon holster for about $5. I bet this light would meet your needs.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Hello rjwpavo and welcome to CPF. I have similar suggestions:

Throw (long distance spotting) : M1 Huntlight
Floody : Amilite T5

About LED's... 5 mm LED's (like the ones in the ARC aaa and Gerber Infinity) still have usefulness, particularly when you need something that won't destroy your night vision. The new LED's from Cree and Seoul absolutely outclass Luxeon III's and V's as they offer double the brightness with the same power consumption, but look out soon for the Luxeon Rebel! The Rebel should be able to match or exceed the Cree's and Seoul's performance and efficiency, but I heard that Seoul and Cree are also developing even newer more superior LED's. You couldn't have picked a better time to get into solid state lighting, it's an extremely exciting time!

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED with the best throw, bar none, are Malkoff's maglite mods -- driving a Seoul LED (brightest single-emitter available) as hard as it'll go, with a big smooth, focusable reflector. Here is his website. He's also coming out with a kit to modify your own (as opposed to pre-modded). Should run for several hours at 100% output on alkalines, and days at reduced output, or a lot more hours at 100% with NiMH followed by a fast drop to nothing.

The M1 is very nice, no question, but it's still more throw than flood, IMO, even with the OP reflector.
Agreed. Even the version with the textured reflector is the longest throwing LED light I have, also probably the nicest build quality of any of my lights as the moment. IMHO that light is much better though with 18650 -- as there it gives phenomenal runtime, and a much lower "low" level. Since the lower-level brightnesses are accomplished using a resistor, low isn't as low when running on CR123, more of a "medium" that extends battery life than a dimmer ouptut. Runtime is also on the short side with CR123 (1hr 30min regulated on high) -- using the lower mode will still give you a lot of throw -- more than most other LED lights for around 6 hours though.

I can not vouch for these lights, but I'll give you links to some LightReviews.info reviews of lights you can get at DealExtreme.com or KaiDomain.com. They have great throw and are only about $25.
the Ultrafire C2 is definitely the best of the DX/Kaidomain lights that I've used -- haven't tried the Eastward YJ, but the C2 has just the right balance of throw and spill IMO -- very narrow, well collimated beam, but also a lot of spill -- enough to still be useful even when your eyes adjust to the "spot" from the beam. Kaidomain also just put up an HA-III version as well for only $26.10. Its regulated on 2xCR123, but will drive the cells quite hard, so it won't offer much for runtime (maybe a little over an hour). It's lower brightness than the Lumapower, but draws more current -- so the driver is less efficient. For a light that is regulated though and has good through, and decent build quality, it's a bargain.

If you're after runtime though, I woudl suggest getting some 18650s -- I know that Battery Junction cells protected 18650s for around $6, another good source is AW on these forums. Those store more energy than 2xCR123, and most drivers tend to be more efficient in the 4V input range, so those batteries will pay for themselves if you use them a few times compared to throwing away $2-$3 every battery swap.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Try checking out McGizmo's HD45. Also the SureFire.L2 is one that has a very nice short to medium wide area lighting which may fit the bill.

EDcLED

Newly Enlightened
If you checking out the ground ahead of your tracks a multiple 5mm LED may be what you need. Found what I would call a good walking light when I wasn't expecting it browsing a local home store. It was a 28 led 3 AAA direct drive running at 850 mA. Stuby, shiny aluminum body with snow white output with the name Grip TM on the outside. which I use eneloop cells in. Output must be around 70 lumens. and the beam width is as wide as half the distance to the target, nice and floody. Run time is under an hour. Oh yeah, it was under ten dollars. Couldnt resist!

Latest posts