defective LS reflector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my LS1 (it's engraved First Run -- not a second) and there's something weird about the reflector.

There's an 1/8" cutout at the top-edge of the reflector where it meets the lens.
It really looks machined in there and not just a crack.

If I position that cutout at 12-o'clock there's also some deformity at 2 and 3-o'clock but that is uneven and looks more like some epoxy spillage.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

papasan

Enlightened
all the colminators have a tab on one side, i suppose in the casting process it's needed or something.

the deformities you see are probably the power leads going to the die through the phosphor.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by papasan:
all the colminators have a tab on one side, i suppose in the casting process it's needed or something.

the deformities you see are probably the power leads going to the die through the phosphor.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Excuse the ignorance but wouldn't the power leads be toward the center?
These are at the outer edge where the colminator meets the lens.
It looks like a section of the rim of the colminator has a very jagged edge or else the lens was affixed to the colminator with epoxy which spilled out onto the lens.

papasan

Enlightened
the leads go from the outter edges into the center area, so they basically bisect the entire lense dome. they are hard to see with the colminator in place, but they will show up in the beam pattern, even in a perfect led.

i can't tell you for sure what's going on with your light, i'm just telling you what some have found to be common faults in their lights. you may indeed have a bit of extra epoxy or a substandard led.

if you think you have a bad light then contact gransee, i'm sure he will see to it that you get a first quality light.

Status
Not open for further replies.