My 3 day old RiverRock Luxeon K2 3AA headlamp is ruined :(

This is the new RiverRock K2 headlamp, sold exclusively at Target.

This incident really says Mag really know what they're doing. Thermal management is a must in ANY LED flashlight. Even for an aluminum flashlight, what do you suppose would happen if it got left on inside an insulator? (you put it in your sweatpants while it's on, take 'em off and forget about it and the light continues to run in the pocket)

When you drive a K2 Luxeon at 3+ watt (0.7A with freshly charged NiMH) with a heatsink about the size of the head of a house key and enclosed in a plastic, it will about 140C and melt down... What a surprise.

I think the designer depended on usage of alkaline and the light would not operate at maximum output for long time before the voltage drops and power consumption is dramatically reduced.

How else are they going to claim a long runtime otherwise?

I let it run for about two hours on a set of 1800mAh AA NiMH batteries before I noticed the case was deformed. When I tried to tilt the head, it came off. It got so hot that it deformed and ripped itself off from the screws.

I measured the heatsink temperature and it was 139C or 282F. I'm surprise it still works at all.

Meltdown!
P1000738.jpg

3W+ power through K2, this heatsink
P1000739.jpg

Yeah, it got hot. Are you surprised?
P1000737.jpg

Yes I am surprised. How does it still work?
P1000741.jpg

Last edited:

Russell52

Newly Enlightened
Re: My 3 day old Luxeon K2 3AA headlamp is ruined :(

Handlobraesing said:
This incident really says Mag really know what they're doing. Thermal management is a must in ANY LED flashlight. Even for an aluminum flashlight, what do you suppose would happen if it got left on inside an insulator? (you put it in your sweatpants while it's on, take 'em off and forget about it and the light continues to run in the pocket)

When you drive a K2 Luxeon at 3+ watt (0.7A with freshly charged NiMH) with a heatsink about the size of the head of a house key and enclosed in a plastic, it will about 140C and melt down... What a surprise.

I think the designer depended on usage of alkaline and the light would not operate at maximum output for long time before the voltage drops and power consumption is dramatically reduced.

How else are they going to claim a long runtime otherwise?

I let it run for about two hours on a set of 1800mAh AA NiMH batteries before I noticed the case was deformed. When I tried to tilt the head, it came off. It got so hot that it deformed and ripped itself off from the screws.

I measured the heatsink temperature and it was 139C or 282F. I'm surprise it still works at all.

Meltdown!
P1000738.jpg

3W+ power through K2, this heatsink
P1000739.jpg

Yeah, it got hot. Are you surprised?
P1000737.jpg

Yes I am surprised. How does it still work?
P1000741.jpg
Wow! Thats a shame,Good thing it wasnt on your head :p

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Is it hot in here, or is it just the melting headlamp I'm wearing? :p

Sorry about the headlamp though. I can see this as becoming a more common concern as higher powered, hotter running LED lamps become vulnerable to damage from poor cooling. A small piece of metal for a heatsink encased in a large plastic enclosure is not a sufficient way of cooling a high output LED obviously. They should have made the whole front casing/bezel out of aluminum at least, that would make a big difference.

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
This incident really says Mag really know what they're doing.

Yep, Mag says don't use rechargables with their poorly sinked lights.

Joel

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is what i dont understand, why have a plastic case around a headlamp, when a Lightweight aluminum one would weigh just as much, and serve the fuction of heat sink?
if these guys are selling to backpackers, mabey they have heard of titanium by now :) while its not the greatest heat sink metal in the world, its gotta beat plastic by a bit.

fishx65

Enlightened
That's one of the big advantages of buying from a large chain. They will exchange or refund with no problem.

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
lhivernant said:
Yep, Mag says don't use rechargables with their poorly sinked lights.

Joel
That might be the only thing RR can change about this light. If I understand the OP correctly, the light melted while in a pocket. If it had better thermal transmission the heat would've transferred to the fabric of the pocket rather than contained in the plastic housing and that can result in worst injury since the thing was way above boiling point.

Ideally, some sort of thermal shut off would be good IMHO. But maybe that would add too much to the cost, as would an alumininum or ti housing. Something should be done though, even if only for liablilty reasons.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your observations about design deficiency reaffirms my fear of using a resistor to drag down the current for LED lights: Small changes in voltage make huge swings in current!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that heatsink even Aluminum? It almost looks like cheap metal or tin. Return it for sure - just don't tell'em you put NiMh in there. They won't loose anything and will send it back to the manufacturer who then may rethink how they built these if they get enough coming back.

moon lander

Enlightened
mmmflashlights said:
Is it hot in here, or is it just the melting headlamp I'm wearing? :p

I can see this as becoming a more common concern as higher powered, hotter running LED lamps become vulnerable to damage from poor cooling.

yeah that looks like galvanized steel to me, not aluminum.

it looks like with modern leds, the led, driver, battery, and heatsink are really the important issues. But there hasnt been much discussion on heatsinking, maybe CPF could add a section for discussions about thermal management, a place to discuss heatsinking materials and techniques, where to buy materials, etc. For anyone building from scratch this would be super helpful.

matrixshaman said:
Is that heatsink even Aluminum? It almost looks like cheap metal or tin. Return it for sure - just don't tell'em you put NiMh in there. They won't loose anything and will send it back to the manufacturer who then may rethink how they built these if they get enough coming back.

It seems like it is, although it's largely irelevant as aluminum wouldn't help one bit in limits imposed by enclosure.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm thinking about taking mine back after seeing this. :sweat: Do you think I'd be ok running it at a the lower levels with alkalines?

Patriot36 said:
I'm thinking about taking mine back after seeing this. :sweat: Do you think I'd be ok running it at a the lower levels with alkalines?

Yeah, but the LED itself is controlled by PWM, so it flickers like nuts and tend to make fast moving parts appear to be turning very slow backward or stopped depending on the speed of rotation.

The light starts on high, then each click progress through high, medium, low, flash then off. If you push the button after giving it a second or two, it becomes a power off button rather than cycle through all the mode. The mode is not retained. Next time you turn it on, it starts on high.

I'll insulate the beast and see if I could get it higher than 140C :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
In contrast...

I did a runtime on a Seoul-modded 3AAA HASTO headlamp. It also has a plastic body covering a metal plate heat sink. The body barely got warm at all on 3W, and the light did not diminish any more than usual during the first few minutes (a sign of poor heat transfer from the emitter)

HastoSSC.png