Surefire L4

D

Darknomore

Hello, I am new to the forum. I recently ordered a L4 Surefire to replace low end flashlights I have been using for most of my life. I got tired of dead batteries and bulbs blowing out. I know the L4 is expensive, but you only live once.lol I will be using it around the house and in the morning when walking my dog in the dark. Does anyone have one that they can comment on? Thanks in advance.

rdh226

Enlightened
Very small, very gosh darned bright. I find it too bright for true "night" use close up
(poking around in drawers/toolbox/etc.) but it's great for clearing out the shadows
at the far end of the hallway... It'll get toasty on extended use. It's a great light, but
wouldn't be my first choice for a continuous-duty walkabout light at night.

For a little more, the L2 would be much better, low level that goes on forever (and
doesn't hurt you when looking in a drawer, or even just your feet on the pathway),
same shadow-searing high level for any reasonable distance.

I might also recommend the VB-16 (just being sold by waion; also spotted at Deal
Extreme I think it was) as a very affordable multi-level LED light that takes 18650
LiIon cells with aplomb -- and if you start chewing through 123A cells by the box, an
18650 and charger will quickly pay for itself (halfway into the second dozen 123A
batteries!).

Another recommendation would be the Streamlight Strion. It's incandescent, not LED,
but it's designed for rechargeable LiIon battery, comes with nice cradle to recharge the
battery in situ so you don't have to keep taking the battery out and putting it back in
every other day or so -- go for your walk, when you return just snap it into the cradle
and it's ready for your next walk. The light level is more restrained than the Surefire L4,
great for around the house, or just walking about.

And of course if you have a tax refund just burning a hole in your pocket, the Surefire U2
is a GREAT multi-level (6) LED, not as bright on high as the L4, but much more versatile.

Nice thing today -- you've got a plethora of really great lights available; it's hard to
choose "just one" . . .

Enjoy!

-RDH

P.S. -- forgot to say: Hey! Welcome to CPF! Guard your wallet, temptations abound...heh heh

Last edited:

waynejitsu

Enlightened
The L4 is an almost perfect light for my uses, if it had a high and a low.

What I did was to make it a high and low with the Mc switch and a twisty cap.

My 2nd L4 I used a spare E1L body, twisty cap, Mc 2 stage switch, RCR123 4.2v battery and L4 head to make a 1/2 size, 2 stage L4.
It is one of my most usefull lights:)

(BTW, I used 30 ohm resistors on the switches..., it really tames the brightness on low, but you still have great flood light:)

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one. It has a very nice floody beam. It is small enough to carry in my pocket. I can even clip it to the bill of my cap if I need to use both hands. The the tint of the light is the best I have seen on any light, ever. Tint varies more on the Luxeon five watt lights, so not every L4 will be as fantastic as mine.

The newest version of the L4 has a smaller battery compartment, so you will need to get the newest version of Pila 600S if you want to use rechargeables.

Go to flashlightreviews.com and check out the review of the L4. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l4.htm

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is a great light. However, it's an even better light with a 2 stage switch. The direct swap out 2 stage switches are hard to find now because they aren't being made anymore. But you can always have member "milkyspit" make you one. He'll turn the switch into a 2 stage.

VWTim

Enlightened
Last I checked the Sandwich Shoppe had a large supply of McE2s stage switches in stock. I was worried 8 months ago and bought the last one they had.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
VWTim said:
Last I checked the Sandwich Shoppe had a large supply of McE2s stage switches in stock. I was worried 8 months ago and bought the last one they had.

Oh, oops. guess it's been a while since i tried to find one in the shop. Wasn't there one specifically made for the L4 though?

VWTim

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
Oh, oops. guess it's been a while since i tried to find one in the shop. Wasn't there one specifically made for the L4 though?

Not that I'm aware of, but lots of people were using full Aleph 2 stage tailcaps. I've actually found a McE2S in a Z52 to be easier to work than the full Aleph tail I borrowed a while back.

Darknessnomore

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the positive feedback on this light. I had to re-register as this username because I changed my original work email address to my AOL home account, and it locked me out. I have read on the FAQ section about AOL users not getting emails from CPF, oh well.

Anyway, the light I got for a good deal. I originally ordered directly from Surefire, but they contacted me stating that there was a 4-6 week backorder on the L4. So I went on Ebay and got one brand new in box from a reputable seller of hunting/outdoor merchandise for $139.99 plus $9.95 priority shipping. So I saved ~$15! He had 3 for sale. I made sure it wasnt a knockoff first!

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
Hi, would this mod work on an E2L? I think they have the same clicky.

Thanks,

Valpo Hawkeye said:
The L4 is a very useful light. However, as you may have already noticed, it gets HOT... FAST. A two stage switch would help you to be able to use the light for longer periods of time. If you don't want to do a full-blown McE2S, you can solder a resistor in the existing tailcap. Here's some instructions:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1205794&postcount=21

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a kl4 lover I will say that the KL4 is a great part. very cersital 1 or 2 cell (on mine most will run on a single cell) as said before a 2 stage switch does wonders.
Instect the light you receive carefully for tint and donut, either can be a deal killer. I like the term WALL OF LIGHT in refrence to these. they do put out a wall of light and have a wonderful hot spot.
Have fun you have made a very good choice the KL4 is a light which will work under EXTREEME conditions. it is very heav duty and will serve ou well for years to come.
yaesumofo

rdh226

Enlightened
Darknessnomore said:
Anyway, the light I got for a good deal. I originally ordered directly from Surefire, but they contacted me stating that there was a 4-6 week backorder on the L4. So I went on Ebay and got one brand new in box from a reputable seller of hunting/outdoor merchandise for $139.99 plus $9.95 priority shipping. So I saved ~$15! He had 3 for sale. I made sure it wasnt a knockoff first!
Well . . . to insert a small knife and twist it gently . . . OpticsHQ has a standard CPF discount that,
erm, betters that deal, although you gotta "join" up; it's WORTH it; checkout thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/95794 (see post #11)

Also, at the moment, Tactical Supply is having a closeout sale that is even better on whatever he
still has in stock: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157901

Just a heads up for folks...good deals do lurk out there...

-RDH

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
The L4 is everything I hoped it would be and more. I was contemplating the purchase for almost a whole year! It's a great light and my favorite EDC.

I knew nothing about Surefire until last April, then I found CPF while researching another light. There were many L4 discussions and the more I read the more I felt it was the light for me. Bright LED, rugged construction, not to mention slick styling.

I love the L4 the way others love the A2. It is with me from the moment I wake up to when I go to bed and, though I know the A2 will prove more versatile in the long run (like reading directions at night on road trips) I can't imagine it or anything else replacing my L4. I was going to do the two-stage mod but have decided it is not necessary. If I want less light I use my bottle-cap diffuser. If I want even less light I'll use the A2.

My love for the L4 was solidified from day one, but if you find yourself unsure, give it a week or two. Take your dog on longer, darker walks. Explore dark hallways and closets. If you decide it's not for you, sell it here. If you're completely happy with it, buy a couple of AWs 17670 rechargeables. Then you'll make up for the cost of the light by saving on batteries. And if you find the 17670 doesn't fit your L4 (It's a gamble.) you just have to sand the inside of the tube. It's a little bit of work but worth it.

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase!

Darknessnomore

Newly Enlightened
rdh226 said:
Well . . . to insert a small knife and twist it gently . . . OpticsHQ has a standard CPF discount that,
erm, betters that deal, although you gotta "join" up; it's WORTH it; checkout thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/95794 (see post #11)

Also, at the moment, Tactical Supply is having a closeout sale that is even better on whatever he
still has in stock: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157901

Just a heads up for folks...good deals do lurk out there...

-RDH

Thanks for the heads up, however tactical supply doesn't have the L4 available (there isn't a buy it now or add to cart button), and Optics HQ is 5% off the $165 list, which only takes $8.25 off. I will keep these in mind however. :grin2:

VWTim

Enlightened
Darknessnomore said:
Thanks for the heads up, however tactical supply doesn't have the L4 available (there isn't a buy it now or add to cart button), and Optics HQ is 5% off the $165 list, which only takes $8.25 off. I will keep these in mind however. :grin2:

Actually the OpticsHQ full discount takes quite a bit more off that for membership, and CPF discount. But what matters is you have one, and like it!

Darknessnomore

Newly Enlightened
AyeMayanor said:
The L4 is everything I hoped it would be and more. I was contemplating the purchase for almost a whole year! It's a great light and my favorite EDC.

I knew nothing about Surefire until last April, then I found CPF while researching another light. There were many L4 discussions and the more I read the more I felt it was the light for me. Bright LED, rugged construction, not to mention slick styling.

I love the L4 the way others love the A2. It is with me from the moment I wake up to when I go to bed and, though I know the A2 will prove more versatile in the long run (like reading directions at night on road trips) I can't imagine it or anything else replacing my L4. I was going to do the two-stage mod but have decided it is not necessary. If I want less light I use my bottle-cap diffuser. If I want even less light I'll use the A2.

My love for the L4 was solidified from day one, but if you find yourself unsure, give it a week or two. Take your dog on longer, darker walks. Explore dark hallways and closets. If you decide it's not for you, sell it here. If you're completely happy with it, buy a couple of AWs 17670 rechargeables. Then you'll make up for the cost of the light by saving on batteries. And if you find the 17670 doesn't fit your L4 (It's a gamble.) you just have to sand the inside of the tube. It's a little bit of work but worth it.

Good luck and congratulations on your purchase!

Thanks for the tips. Forgive the Newb, but where can I get AWs 17670 batteries? Also, is there a way to tell if these will fit my L4 without sanding?

Darknessnomore

Newly Enlightened
VWTim said:
Actually the OpticsHQ full discount takes quite a bit more off that for membership, and CPF discount. But what matters is you have one, and like it!

Darn! I could have saved $24! Guess I will buy the U2 to make me feel better!lol

Last edited: