Some information on HWA/WYS Ultrafire Luxeon K2 2x123a

partipilo

Newly Enlightened
Got this light on Ebay several months ago, and its been a great EDC in the leg-pocket of carpenter jeans. Nice and bright, good battery life, good white tint. Didn't want to destroy it when I first got it, but today, it was rattling a bit, so decided to do a disassembly. There was nothing spectacular, so no photos here, but some advice instead.

There is a standard star inside with metal PCB screwed into an aluminum slug that screws into the head. There is no heat conductive paste between the star and the slug. While I have felt the light get nice and hot during operation (a good thing - means the body is doing some thermal sinking) - its quite easy to get the slug with star out, and put some heatsink paste between the two.

The unit has two beefy resistors under the star as well - no regulation.

There are o-rings on the tail-cap clicky, and on the head where the bezel screws on, however, there is not an o-ring where the head screws to the battery tube. There is an indentation there which looks like an o-ring should go there, maybe they forgot when assembling this one.

Hope the info comes in useful to somebody. All in all, I think its a great light for the price - good tint K2 and ha3 anodizing. It was about $20 on ebay.

partipilo

Newly Enlightened
Just discovered some more information on this one, sorry to bring up an old topic, but this light I love so much, its too bad it's such a fixer-upper.

No thermal interface between the star and the body, but easy to unscrew the star and squeeze a bit of goo under it, but, the big kicker I discovered today...

The LED isn't even soldered to the star! It's only soldered electrically, the base is not connected. I added some thermal goo underneath and pressed it down, and that seems to help brightness. Aside from being a resistor drive light, for the price and a little modding, its great. (akin to the fanbase of the Golstons). They go for around $20 or so on ebay. I think it might be an actual K2 as it has a soft dome, but not the kind that picks up dust. Very bright.