MikeSalt on Holiday

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone tried to get in touch with me over the past six days, I sincerely apologise. I was offered the opportunity to stay at a camp site in North Wales. I pondered it for a while and considered it ...... high potential to use torches ..... no cities, so minimal light pollution ..... almost perfectly DARK! ..... Perfect opportunity to compare flashlights in an ideal outdoor environment. Too bad I forgot my camera.

Even better, I got back to find all my parts delivered for my Mag 6D ROP conversion. It's battery charging time!!!!!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oi! You can't just flounce in here and casually drop the fact that you tested several of your lights without informing the rest of us what lights you tested...
rant.gif

Where are yor manners young man?

CFU

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Casual Flashlight User, I sincerely apologise.

I took with me;

LED Lenser David 15
Fenix P1D-CE
MagLite 6D with MagNum Star Xenon bulb

My grandad brought with him an Eveready 2D torch too, which was soon put away.

Firstly, the LED Lenser is still my favorite 'go to' torch. The belt holster and convenient 'forward' rear clicky make one handed operation a doddle. Using optics, you don't get a typical 'spot and flood' beam, you get just a tight-ish flood. This is excellent for close-work, for example, reading in the tent. It puts out ample light, which is not too much that it would draw too much attention. Outdoors, it is perfectly adequate for finding my way, but not good at detail retrieval.

The Fenix is bright, very bright, even too bright, even in low modes. It is the best 'shock and awe' flashlight ever. This attracts attention, and lots of it. People are expecting a clumsy handheld searchlight, and are pleaseantly surprised when they realise it is my keychain flashlight. Outdoors, detail and colour rendition is excellent up to about 25 metres. Beyond this, colour rendition is lost, but detail retrieval is still good.

MagLite 6D with Xenon bulb. This is what the trip was about, testing the MagLite in stock guise, albeit with the MagNum star bulb in place of the stock bulb. Many people complain that the 6D is too heavy and clumsy. Fair enough, it will not fit in a shirt pocket, but it has a reassuring size and weight. It even doubles as a personal protection device if necessary. It is the MagNum Star bulb that brought me back to incandescents, after a long run of LEDs. Colour rendition and detail retrieval is excellent, even at range. The greatest let-down is the beam quality. However, this was very much a 'benchmark' test to commit to memory. Waiting at home for me was all the parts for a 6D ROP, and I want to FEEL the difference.

customh

Newly Enlightened
Well it sucks that I'm going a gawd awfully long distance away from any light and all I *might* have is my minimag AA with its IQ switch and the new terralux module if it comes in time. Argh, a broke flashaholic is a sad flashaholic.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
customh said:
Well it sucks that I'm going a gawd awfully long distance away from any light and all I *might* have is my minimag AA with its IQ switch and the new terralux module if it comes in time. Argh, a broke flashaholic is a sad flashaholic.

Aha, but where it is near perfectly dark, even a minimag will look spectacular. So not a wasted trip after all.