LED distributers (large quanitity 100-1000)

kyazh

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a distributer that will sell Luxeon lambertain 1w LED's at large quantities. 100-1000 pieces. Must have them in white, amber, red, green and blue. Most of the places I saw online sold up to 50 pieces, but I'm sure if I order in 100 -1000 piece quantities I will get some discount. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Meduza

Enlightened
Why not contact Lumileds directly if you need about 1000 pieces they can sure sell you directly for a good price?

brickbat

Enlightened
100-1000 would not be considered high quantity for electronic components such as these. You'll get a price break over single unit pricing, but until you're buying them by the reel, I'd be really surprised if you can buy from Lumileds at decent prices. Not sure how many are on a reel, but probably in the 1k-3k range...

SemiMan

Banned
Future Electronics is Lumileds world wide distributor. You should be able to find a local contact on their web-site www.futureelectronics.com. They will be much cheaper than the guys who sell in low quantities, though you may not be able to get specific bins.

Your quantity is pretty low so I am not sure you will get much of a price break.

All the major LED suppliers except Nichia I believe have signed a big distributor.

Semiman

OddOne

Enlightened
A thousand is ONE REEL for most of the latest-generation LEDs. That isn't considered to be a "large" quantity, really.

THAT SAID, you can sometimes make arrangements to purchase a single reel direct-from-mfr, although most of the manufacturers are partnered up with distributors so that they don't have to deal with order processing for what to them is a drop in the bucket. (For some LEDs a full reel is maybe four hours' production. They ship product out to distributors in cases of reels, often upwards of 20,000 pieces to a case.)

As an aside, my first LED bulk-buy was for 3,400 of Nichia's then-brand-new NPSW500BS LEDs, back in 1997 when the suckers sold for eight bucks per in single qty. Bought them directly from Nichia, who shipped them direct from their then-only plant in Japan. I still have a few brand new LEDs from that batch in an antistatic plastic box for safe keeping, which IIRC was from something like their ninth production run EVER of commercially-available white LED. A little bit of semiconductor-lighting history...

oO