D MINI or somthin else

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
Is there somthing that give's close to the perfomance of the d mini for less money or should I just spend the money for the d mini

Abumustafa

Enlightened
LA OZ said:
you may wish to look at the ultrafire c2.

The D-Mini is in a class of its own nuthin compares to the Throw for such a small light!!! :grin2:

The D-Mini puts my C2 to shame!!!:rock:

:popcorn:

HowieG

Newly Enlightened
I just received my D Mini today. Put in a rechargable 3.7 battery and wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww!

Buy it, you will not regret it.

riffraff

Enlightened
If size is an issue, go with the D-Mini. For a few bucks more, longer runtimes, and a bit farther throw, consider the M1.

coppertrail

Enlightened
The D-Mini is a great light IMO, my mom took one of them home during her last visit :)

whippoorwill

Enlightened
Not too many lights give me the WOW factor any more. The d-mini is one of them. This is a kick *** light, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

This is the light to get especially with the two stage clickie.

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
How does the beam (brightness) of the D-Mini compare to the 'U2' style light at DX?

If I am correct, the D-Mini pushes the LED at 550ma and the 'U2' Style pushes the LED at 1000-1200ma. If that is the case, I wonder what would happen if you can mod the D-mini to push the LED at 1000ma.

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
thanks for talking me into it guy's. performance wise I wanted somthing that had throw and runtime and between 120 and 150 lumens also size was a factor. and also I want to try to get away from cr123 but I dont think that will happen since it's the new fad. well maybe not new but I think it's here to stay. I was also looking at the freelight and tried to read reveiws but I think I melted my brain.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
davenlei said:
How does the beam (brightness) of the D-Mini compare to the 'U2' style light at DX?

If I am correct, the D-Mini pushes the LED at 550ma and the 'U2' Style pushes the LED at 1000-1200ma. If that is the case, I wonder what would happen if you can mod the D-mini to push the LED at 1000ma.

The U2 is a 5watt luxeon i think. While the D-mini is a cree xre. There's a bit of a difference there. The 5 watt LED mainly emits light in a flood pattern while the cree xre puts light forward. The cree is also a more efficient led. So it depends on what you want. If you were to put a 5 watt led inside the D-mini and then drove it to 1000mah, you would loose a lot of throw. If you were to drive the Dmini w. cree to 1000mah you'd loose a ton of runtime. I dont think the difference in output would be hugely noted in a light of that size primarily because it's made to be an EDC light. The runtime you get at 500mah like the light is designed will far exceed the benefit of bumping current up to 1000mah. Of course... if you want brightness at the cost of runtime. It's all good as well. ;)

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
Alin,

Thanks for the reply but I was talking about the 'U2' style Cree light sold at DX, not the real U2. The 'U2' style uses a Cree driven at 1000-1200ma and is really bright with good runtime.

Abumustafa

Enlightened
Alin10123 said:
The U2 is a 5watt luxeon i think. While the D-mini is a cree xre. There's a bit of a difference there. The 5 watt LED mainly emits light in a flood pattern while the cree xre puts light forward. The cree is also a more efficient led. So it depends on what you want. If you were to put a 5 watt led inside the D-mini and then drove it to 1000mah, you would loose a lot of throw. If you were to drive the Dmini w. cree to 1000mah you'd loose a ton of runtime. I dont think the difference in output would be hugely noted in a light of that size primarily because it's made to be an EDC light. The runtime you get at 500mah like the light is designed will far exceed the benefit of bumping current up to 1000mah. Of course... if you want brightness at the cost of runtime. It's all good as well. ;)

Hmmm OK who is willing to up the power of the D-Mini to 1000mah an see the results or if sum1 is willing to give me instructions i will do it my self!!! :grin2:

I have 1 but i am gona buy anotha so it will be good 1 with extra boost an the otha with good runtime!!! :rock:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the D-mini and the C2. Both are great lights and very bright. The D-mini does have the Greatest Wow factor of the two. You do need to run it off Rcr123's instead of primaries for the most light.

I also recomend buying both reflectors, heres why.... When you change them every couple of weeks, it is almost like getting a new light for free. Either you are totally impressed by the bright tight spot...or the smooth even beam.

I really think you would be happy with the light. It makes me not miss any of my 2 or 3 cell lights including SF's. It really is a great light.

Abumustafa

Enlightened
FASTCAR said:
D-mini is quite large for a 1x123 format light.Im not a D-mini fan at all.

Have you seen the size of the reflector in the D-Mini it is meant to throw so it would be large i think it is Quite nice fits snug in the hand an you have throw of 2-3 cell light with a decent amount of sidespill what do you expect!!! :grin2:

If i was to take of the bezel of the D-mini it becomes nearly half the size, it was made for throw if you want Flood then the Fenix P1D-CE is the 1 for you it is much smaller for 123 cells!!:)

Also rememba that D-Mini is well heatsinked an smaller lights get very hot :thumbsdow so overall i say the D-Mini is a well made light!!!:sold:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

slaps

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SE Nickel coated Brass D-Mini in the mail. I love the solid heft and powerful output. I'm on the list for the 18650 tube in the Homemade and Mods thread. Can't wait to try out my Mini with a 18650. I can have a compact thrower or a long runtime thrower. Aren't exchangeable battery tubes great??!!