Biggest LED thrower?

mitchell300

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Just wondering what would be the biggest throw LED flashlight? I have been using a 3D Mag for a while but its just not that bright when I have looked at some of the new LED flashlight, so I am thinking of an upgrade.
I am looking for something that will be good for me to spot animals at night, so too much sidespill all the time would not help me. Battery life is important and recharables would be nice.
and budget wise... if the flashlight looks like it is worth it then that would be most likely the right price...:sold:

Thanks

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a bright LED in a Mag reflector has very impressive throw. And the spillbeam is relatively dim. My best thrower is a custom UW0K Lux III at 1000mA. Mine is in a 2C host, but something in a 3D host driven at 1000mA would be VERY nice as well. The SSCs are quite a bit brighter than the Lux IIIs, so I'd imagine they would throw a bit better.

For smaller lights, the Luma M1 Hunter and the LedLogic Striker are very impressive... and the Striker with the SSC would be quite a bit brighter with the same runtime, but more $$$.

If I needed something for a belt, I'd go with the M1. If it was to me more of a dedicated use light, I'd probably stick with a 3D Mag for the extra runtime.

EDcLED

Newly Enlightened
With the stock 2C mag LED I get useable light at 100 yards using 2 NiMh

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a simple bulb-replacement for your Mag 3D, the Terralux SSC is probably your best bet -- I believe this produces significantly more light than the MagLED does initially, but with less power consumption -- since it doesn't build up as much heat, it also doesn't need to dim as it heats up like the MagLED does to protect itself, so it will stay bright. I hear that 4 cells is optimum though, 3 cells should drive the LED a little easier but with longer runtime.

If you still want essentially a modded Maglite, Malkoff has modded maglites to have a heatsink and custom driver that drives the LED about twice as hard the Terralux, so it will be probably the longest throwing single emitter LED light I know of (short of strapping a half-pound glass lens in front of an LED and projecting a square image of the emitter... something which I know I don't actually need, but desperately want to do anyway...)

For a light that will fit inside a jacket pocket, the Lumapower M1 is a great general purpose light. Probably my most used (in terms of hours of runtime -- the light used on the most occasions is my L0D-CE keychain light). Small, lightweight, runs for around 4hrs to 50% on 18650, and has a usable low level that runs for almost 27hrs. Battery junction also sells the Lumapower (same site as the Terralux drop in), and they have good prices on the batteries you need to feed these lights.

LiteBrite

Newly Enlightened
+1 on Malkoff. I have one on order and it seems to be the brightest, farthest throwing single LED light. Can't wait.:clap:

Nocturnicus

Newly Enlightened
Take a three-cell Mag with a Lux III Magled, or better yet, with a Terralux, outside on a foggy night, shine it around a bit, and you'll find yourself breathing heavy and saying "Luke, I am your father..."

stonehenge69

Newly Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
If you still want essentially a modded Maglite, Malkoff has modded maglites to have a heatsink and custom driver that drives the LED about twice as hard the Terralux, so it will be probably the longest throwing single emitter LED light I know of (short of strapping a half-pound glass lens in front of an LED and projecting a square image of the emitter... something which I know I don't actually need, but desperately want to do anyway...)

What he said.

I've bought three of Gene's lights and currently waiting for one of his drop ins.
If your looking for throw, these are hard to beat.
Not to mention, Gene is always a pleasure to deal with.

Trey

mitchell300

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your responses so far, the drop-in terraLUX option sounds interesting to bring the mag back to life.

would the TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 be the best option?
http://www.batteryjunction.com/maglite3d.html

Is that the sort of price that you would normally look at?

The brightness of the Malkoff's is unreal, what sort of price would you be paying for them?

I am also interested in the Lumapower DX1, would that compare to any of the flashlights mentioned above (if you can get a smooth reflector)?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think he(Malkoff) is making lights right now, he is working on new projects. The Malkoff used to be $80-$110 US.

The best throw out of an LED is probably using the Cree LED with an aspherical lens.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest messaging Gene (Malkoff) and scheduling your 3D to be modded. He mods them for $65 and it'll be the most well spent $65 you've ever done with a Mag.

Gene43

Enlightened
My new dropin module with the same output (1000ma, 240 lumen) will be out very soon. I'm discontiuing the mod as its twice as expensive with no advantage over the dropin. Watch the website. It should be featured on there very soon.

Thanks, Gene

liveforphysics

Enlightened
I have a light I made with a SSC P4 driven at 1250mA. The light is captured by a 37mm focal legnth 50mm diameter aspherical lens. Its much smaller than any maglight, cost me less than $50 in materials to make, and I can see the clearly projected square of the SSC die at over 300 yards quite easily.

Cheap. Long runtimes from 3x 2400mAh Li-Ion cells.

So far the only downside has been scratching the dome face of the aspherical lens up when I roughly set the light down onto hard objects.

However, I must say that the light is completely useless for any use beyond amusement. When I need a flashlight to actually illuminate something for practical purposes, the LOD-CE on a 10440 LiIon cell has proven to be the most useful light I've ever owned. For being the size of my pinky, it impressively out throws both of my LED modded maglights (just regular 3w magLED drop-ins, nothing special).

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
++ on the SSC P4 Terralux drop-in (really a screw-in).
Brighter if you use 4 C cells instead of 3 D's in your 3D mag.
(put the spring in up-side-down, maybe use a piece of PVC to prevent rattles).
You can always put the 3 D's back for more runtime (less bright).

tkflash1

Newly Enlightened
That depends on the price that you want to pay and the size of the light you are looking for and if you are looking for a new light or an upgrade to your mag. The new harbor freight 3 watt 3c and 3d lights have a lot of throw and can be easily updated to new seoul led for not that much money.