CR2-ION Piglet mod: Part 2

mosport

Enlightened
Part 1 of this project can be found here.

Here's the finished light featuring Kevin's Piglet buck-boost convertor board, custom brass heatsink and a McR-17XR cutdown in the University of Waterloo engineering lab :)

The original CR2 ION XT reflector was bored out and the shortened McR fits beautifully. Inside the head, the Cree XRE emitter was reflow soldered to the heatsink and press fit, then potted. Beam has a smooth hotspot to spill transition and it's amazing how different this mod feels from the original XT light. Current settings are 50mA on low and 350mA for high, the UI is customized with 3 simplifed modes.

This truly is a completely different animal now! All design and machining were done by Goldserve, I only supplied the body and brass for this build.

Awesome work Kev! Thanks for seeing this project through. Your Ti ION will be stunning after the coating is completed :rock:

Derek

img0598xc9.jpg

img0602xi7.jpg

img0606nm4.jpg

img0613ml6.jpg

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys beautiful mod. If only the master got to see this. :twothumbs

Just some food for thought have you guys thought of boring out the head a little more so that it can house a slight larger (1.5 mm) reflector. I know I'm being stupid anal about 1.5 mm but that's like 10% increase in reflector surface.

That's what I'm planning of doing on mine.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
EASY for you to do =p

The major hold back is the bezel cap and the small opening. The machine shop at school specifically posted signs:

"NO Titanium in this Shop"

I guess we'll have to work on more things with your new toy when I get down there. The MASTER will do the work for me :grin2:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
:heheh: At least your school have a well run shop.
Sure thing, when you come down here we more couple of projects we can bump heads with.

BTW: The master I'm talking about is tvodrd.
That pimp Jonathan is just a WTB machinist. :nana: