my first blackout

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened
well, its my first blackout since becoming a cpf member. the moment the lights went out, my roommate, who's becomed accustomed to my new hobby immediately started calling me. i pull my mk iix out of my pocket, turned it on, found my mag85 and turned it on too, and i started heading down the stairs, to bring light to my unenlightened roommate. as i reached the living room, the lights came back on. i was so crushed. my frist blackout as a cpfer and it lasted all but 30 seconds.

LA OZ

Enlightened
Damn, it would have been more fun if it lasts longer. I am still waiting for my first ;). My staff know where to find me when they have a blackout. New torches arrived almost on a weekly basis. They are getting used to that.

flash_bang

Enlightened
man, I feel your pain! I had a blackout(brownout?) in December-ish...The lights came on in about 15 seconds :'( I was veeeeery sad. I did get the chance to whip out my G2 and light up the whole room though :D that was very rewarding, if even for a fleeting moment.
have a good one,
Flash

speederino

Enlightened
When the power goes out, I always count to thirty. If the power doesn't come back on by then, it's going to be a while. This is something my dad told me a long time ago, and in my experience it holds true.

ScooterBug

Enlightened
wait till you have one that last more than 3 weeks,,,,,then tell me how happy you are. i do not want the power to go off EVER!!!!:banghead:

walkabout

Newly Enlightened
I think CPFers should have their own license plates, like Ham radio operators.

Translates as: this guy has at least two great flashlights, plus spares. Will light up the side of a mountain on demand.

:)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in a hotel in Boston during a power outage which lasted all evening and through the next morning. My lights were fine for doing stuff and packing up the next morning, but they didn't help me get my luggage down 13 flights of stairs at all...

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
LA OZ said:
Damn, it would have been more fun if it lasts longer. I am still waiting for my first ;).

Be careful what you wish for....

After the first few hours, blackouts aren't much fun. Especially if the weather is very hot or very cold, the intial thrill of a power outage wears off fast.

LA OZ

Enlightened
ringzero said:
Be careful what you wish for....

After the first few hours, blackouts aren't much fun. Especially if the weather is very hot or very cold, the intial thrill of a power outage wears off fast.

Ok, I will do a control blackout tonight. I will sneak out to my power switchboard and turn the main off. When I have enough, I will turn it back on. :sssh:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
I personally wouldn't turn on anything more powerful than a mini-mag for about 30-60 seconds in case it is just a recloser operating and power is restored very quickly.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
30 second blackout.... nooooooo!
Thats even worse than having no blackout IMO. You get all excited and just when you're starting to get a nice endorphin rush... it all stops. I've known some women who played similar games. Not fun.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Blackouts are going to become more frequent and last longer. High electrical demand is taxing the power grids and the power companies haven't been spending on infrastructure to keep things going. Blackouts are definitely not fun after the first few hours.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
alanagnostic said:
Blackouts are going to become more frequent and last longer. High electrical demand is taxing the power grids and the power companies haven't been spending on infrastructure to keep things going. Blackouts are definitely not fun after the first few hours.

I have heard this before, the reason is because of all of the world's computer servers. A datacenter the size of your living room filled with blade servers is reaching the megawatt range once you include cooling and lighting.

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
Ive had 3 in about 3 years. the first one lasted 3 days, the second a week, and the third was 3-4 days. They were fun at night (sometimes), but during the day with no AC, in florida, sucked.