Arc Defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Guys. I am not too happy with the level of defects we have had in our lights lately. This is what I have found:

Problem: The 3.1 version Arc-AAA with the roll crimp does seem to have fixed the flicker problem. I have not seen one returned. We are still getting Arc-AAAs with problems though and 90% are ground problems that can be fixed with a proper crimp. I have checked each return personally and they are all pre-3.1 versions.

Fix: Monday, I am going to ask our dealers to trade in their old stock for new stock so we can better insure that everyone is getting the latest version. Since the crimp can be applied after manufacturing, we will crimp and retest this older inventory. If it then is fully 3.1 compliant, it will be introduced back into inventory, otherwise it will be sold as "seconds".

- Last month's batch of LSs was pretty bad. We estimate defects of more than 20%. If there is any positive from this, they all seem to be the type of defect that manifests itself fairly quickly. So if your LS has been ok for a month, it will probally be ok much longer. The bulk of the problems have been the "flex failure". A smaller percentage have been real stupid stuff like: the wrong retainer, no retainer, bad threads, etc. Also, the rev1 lack of waterproofing really bugs me. I know it is a new version and we did design it to be waterproofed, etc. But still, I will be glad to see the new version come from production.

Fix: We are canceling our contract with our primary assembler/fullfiller at the end of the month. We have tried repeatidly to redeem them in many ways over the past year. This past month was the last straw. Contractors are only usefull when they offer surge or capital equivelents. Neither is being provided by them so they are a bad deal. We are taking the work in house where we can better control the quality of the product. This way, Arc will be the last entity that sees the product before the UPS truck picks it up.

Furthermore, I am having our LS inventory retested again to weed out any more units that have failed since the last test. We have changed our procedures already to fix the flex failure (fortunately an easy fix once we identified it).

We have also added new tests to look for the inane stuff like missing retainers, etc.

None of our dealers have any LS stock since they sold out in a matter of days. So dealer exchange is not applicable.

And of course, we have new models in the works that will address these and other issues. They will take awhile of course, so we are instituting changes right now with our current product to make them work.

--

How did we get here? We are a small company and rely heavily on outsourcing (contractors). There is only so much you can control a contractor. You can offer them bonuses, cancel them and start all over with someone new, sit over them like a hawk, go on about "six sigma" or "ISO 9002", demand refunds, yell at them, drown them in paperwork, spell everything out all over in triplicate (include nice exploded drawings), etc.

Ultimately though, it is our responsibility. So rather than whine about it anymore, we are just going to do it ourselves. We will still rely on contractors for the heavy capital and surge capabilities, but the assembly and order fullfillment will soon be entirely ours.

It will take a month or two to see the results of these efforts. I am sure we will get the worst PR I have seen before this is resolved. I can not focus on that though. Our focus is and will continue to be to look for ways to improve our products now and in the near future.

We have a trust relationship with you. Therefore, this letter is the kind of communication that you would expect in a trust relationship. Please let me know if you have any questions! Also, bear with us if you have a unit with a defect.

Sincerely,

Peter Gransee
President
Arc Flashlight

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Peter,
I can't speak for anyone else here but I doubt I'm alone. I suspect we'll get through this and on to the otherside with more respect garnered for Arc Flashlight as a result. This will certainly be an additional strain and drain on your resources in reprocessing the product but no one can doubt your commitment or honorable intent in providing a superior product.

- Don

Saaby

Flashaholic
Peter...if admiting your (Arc flashlights) faults isn't a sign of extreme greatness...I don't know what is. Sorry nuff but...'nuff said!

fasteddie

Enlightened
Peter, Sorry to hear about the problems, its great that you're so open to the flashaholic community, yada yada .... any chance I can get another amber HD since the one I received had the flex failure?
wink.gif

mc

Newly Enlightened
Peter, I believe you are doing well, changing sub contractors, bringing in house etc.

I have the impression that you are a quality person, and on the right road with your products. It sure sounds like a bumpy road though.

Zephyr

Enlightened
Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for opening up and for being honest about whats going on with your company. Your honesty, personally, will not cease me nor discourage me to purchase more of your product. In fact, your ARC AAA never cease to amaze me everytime I use it. My favorite one is my ARC AAA LE. Though, I'm having problems with it, and that is, I'm having problem with it's roll crimp. It sometimes won't turn on. The only way I can turn it back on is to unscrew it and screw it back on again. Should I send you back my ARC AAA LE? Or, is there any solution to this that I can do myself? Please, just let me know. Thank you very much!

ZEPH

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Hello Peter,

Thank you very much for opening up and for being honest about whats going on with your company. Your honesty, personally, will not cease me nor discourage me to purchase more of your product. In fact, your ARC AAA never cease to amaze me everytime I use it. My favorite one is my ARC AAA LE. Though, I'm having problems with it, and that is, I'm having problem with it's roll crimp. It sometimes won't turn on. The only way I can turn it back on is to unscrew it and screw it back on again. Should I send you back my ARC AAA LE? Or, is there any solution to this that I can do myself? Please, just let me know. Thank you very much!

ZEPH
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Diddo for me -LE

d'mo

Enlightened
Peter,

A real sign of integrity is being able to admit one's mistakes, even if they are not your fault.

Only after finally getting a hands-on test of a CMG Reactor did I realize the stunning quality and drastic superiority of the Arc LS. While CMG has done little to address quality issues, ARC has gone the extra mile.

Yes, the ARC flashlight is expensive, but in my opinion, your dedication to innovation, second-to-none customer support, and honesty make it worth every penny.

Thank You,
dave

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo Peter.

If everyone did business this way, it would be a much better world.

I'll certainly continue to buy your products into the future, although with my tight finances, they are much more likely to be seconds rather than firsts....

In fact, let me know when you have some AAA seconds ready to go- I'd like several, or even a "bunch".

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Peter...

Hopefully you know that we`ll always be with you, no matter what the "trial or tribulation" of the the hour may be.

Whenever we CPF`ers go to bed at night, and look up to the stars shining in the the heavens above, there is a resounding prayer/chant that goes:

"God bless Peter Gransee, and all of the kind people in the Land of of Arc!"

Hang in there...and keep up the good work!

JohnG

Enlightened
"Contractors are only usefull when they offer surge or capital equivelents."...."We will still rely on contractors for the heavy capital and surge capabilities,...."

I don't understand what this means.
Could someone explain?

SaintPaul

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Gransee:
Hello Guys. I am not too happy with the level of defects we have had in our lights lately. This is what I have found:

<snip>

- Last month's batch of LSs was pretty bad. We estimate defects of more than 20%. If there is any positive from this, they all seem to be the type of defect that manifests itself fairly quickly. So if your LS has been ok for a month, it will probally be ok much longer. The bulk of the problems have been the "flex failure". A smaller percentage have been real stupid stuff like: the wrong retainer, no retainer, bad threads, etc.

<snip>

Sincerely,

Peter Gransee
President
Arc Flashlight
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Peter.

Thank you for your candidness - it is much appreciated. When you tell us your faults, we are then not left to speculate...

I am slowly working up the courage (and my wife appears to be tolerating my fascination enough) to buy an SLS1. $75 is a big expenditure for me.

If I buy an SLS1 and the kinds of faults you mention here become apparent, will you fix/replace it? That is, I know the seconds are characterized by the issues descibed on the order page, but if any of these more serious problems are found (even after 7 days), is that something you will fix/replace?

Thanks,

Paul

P.S. My ARC-AAA continues to amaze me. What a light!

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Peter
Based on CPF comments and reviews, I ordered two Arc LS units. Even though you admitted there might be problems, the product and your replies and commitment to honour the warrantee gave me enough peace of mind. I have no doubt Arc will sort out all IF any problems! Looking forward to using them in Africa!
Enough said.

JohnG

Enlightened
Yes, very clear.

I'd figured people were just ignoring a stupid question but maybe nobody knew the answer....

Thanks, Willmore.

Willmore

Enlightened
Originally posted by JohnG:
"Contractors are only usefull when they offer surge or capital equivelents."...."We will still rely on contractors for the heavy capital and surge capabilities,...."

I don't understand what this means.
Could someone explain?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sure. There are types of contractors (we give you money to do a job) who will take up a bunch of little jobs and service them with their pool of resources. The advantage here is that each little job (say, all of Peters flashlight assemblies) couldn't justify the resources that the contractor can bring to bear on the problem.

If done perfectly, each little guy gets the resources of the large contractor focused on their problem when they need it. The problem comes in when the contractor is busy with several things at once. They are, then, not able to focus on each task, but must split their efforts over the multiple tasks. This breaks the illusion that all of the resources are at the disposal of each little task.

So, this is where the words 'capital' and 'surge' come from. The 'capital' is all of the equipment that the contractor has which they use to solve the little problems. The 'surge' is how much capacity they have (per unit time) which they can use to process a little problem quickly.

If you have one machine that can do 1 unit of work a day and you need to do 20 units of work, it will take you 20 days to get all of your work done. If you have 1/20th access to a machine that can do 20 units of work per day. You can finish all of your work on the first day--if you get access to the machine.

I think Peter is saying that his contractors are not focusing their energies and resources on his problem in a timely and competent fashon.

Is that more clear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts