Question For Those Who EDC a Firearm

Have you used your firearm for self defense?

• Yes

Votes: 19 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 36.8%
  • I don't EDC a firearm

Votes: 48 45.3%

• Total voters

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excepting LEO's in the line of duty, have any of you ever had to use your firearm to protect yourself or your loved ones? Please explain if you have.

I nearly did once. My wife and I were walking to our car from a restaurant one night a couple years ago. A man came at us, I knocked him down, he got up with knives in his hands, and found my 9mm aimed at his center mass. He ran.

Let's leave politics out of this discussion.

Thank you all. :buddies:

Edit: I have also taken care of two dogs. One attacked me on my own property, another hospitalized four children in my neighborhood before I took care of it.

Last edited:

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
dumb question, file under "things a person shouldn't talk about on the internet" imho.

Ranks up there with "how much do you make," but with a far greater potential for legal issues down the road.

knot

Banned
Datasaurusrex said:
dumb question, file under "things a person shouldn't talk about on the internet" imho.

Ranks up there with "how much do you make," but with a far greater potential for legal issues down the road.

Well, I don't object to disclosure on the net, it's pretty much anonymous anyway.

I have had many handguns and HK91/93 in the past but I sold them all so these are only knife stories. A gun would have prevented the last one for sure.

I passed a car at night on my motorcycle years ago. The car was flashing it's beams at me. I pulled over and 4 guys got out of the car, one with nunchakus. Apparently they were pissed that I passed them. With my thumb on my pocket clip knife I asked them, "don't you have anything better to do on a Saturday night? - you are probably embarrassing the woman driving the car. If you are going to do something, then do it and stop wasting my time". At that point they noticed I had my thumb on my pocket and asked, "what's that in your pocket" I said, "why don't you find out" at that point they decided it wasn't worth it and got back into their car and left. I sure was glad I showed no fear because they would have kicked my ***!

Another time - long story short. Some guys my GF and I met down by the river pulled us over and pretended to ask me a question (we were leaving) The one guy punched me through the window and I opened my clip knife as I jumped out of my truck, with my lap belt still on! (old Chevy 400ci) I was pinned and they grabbed my hair and pounded on my head. All the blows were on top of my head so no facial damage. They did manage to take a huge clump of hair off my head. I did manage to cut the arm of the guy holding my hair several times. At that point they slammed the door on me and my knife dropped. They got $40 from me. The next day I had to go to the hospital because every time I lifted my head off the pillow, the room would spin and my eyes would go from side to side - a really bad case of vertigo.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't see the problem. Obviously this would fit better in a forum specifically dedicated to firearms, but I'm not a member of any such forum, nor do I want to join one. CPF has a higher level of intelligent people than any other forum I've ever even lurked on, and I know several people here carry. I'm not condoning illegal behavior at all, nor do I suggest anyone carry a firearm without a thorough knowledge of their state's deadly force laws.

If you've done something illegal, don't post. Duh.

Mods, if this isn't going to work, please close this thread immediately and accept my sincere apologies.

:buddies:

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
You should try some gun forums Diesel. I'd suggest something like www.glocktalk.com www.thehighroad.org www.ar15.com

Here's a lazy man's explanation.

You're now an admitted, habitual, dog killer (that's how it would read to a jury).

If you ever have to defend yourself for real, against a person, you will most likely face the DA (at the very least).

They can easily use your posting history against you. A history of agressive gun handling/brandishing (2 seperate incidents of shooting dogs) would paint a very bad picture of your character, if you ever face a jury for shooting a person. A psychologist would probably say something about 'escelating behavior, blah blah blah.'

The net is anything but anonymous unless you are highly knowledgeable, skilled and dedicated. Heck, most people don't even clear cookies and broswer cache after logging off, much less using something like torpark to block IP data from appearing on posts.

Just isn't worth talking about, if only for the above reasons. But there's more: when talking about the issue you brought up, most people come across in a manner that is bad for the RKBA image.

Really, just no advantage to it. Instead focus on training and tactics. And stick with places like:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=20
http://www.thehighroad.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5
(and know that there's still plenty of ego driven b.s., but at least on good gunboards the mods and members will call people on it)

knot

Banned
The world is a dangerous place and it's important to be prepared. We talk about knives and tactical flashlights but rarely hear if anyone has put the "tactical" to use. The "tactical" folder I threatened to use and used may have saved my life. I don't see anything wrong with revealing my self defense experiences and it's not like I go looking for trouble.

I think a jury would take into account that a person was attacked and looking at an attackers record would paint an even worse picture for the attacker.

Torbutton for Firefox is a better option than torpark.

I think it's up to the mods - not another member so I should just shut up now - sorry for butting in. I need to learn to shut my mouth sometimes - especially if the subject of politics arises.

Last edited:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Datasaurusrex - I have to disagree. There are witnesses to each of my incidents and the hospital records for four children for one. In each instance the police/sheriff were called and a report made to an officer/deputy. Never once was it even suggested to me that I might be charged with anything. Each of my situations was clearly defensive, and I could prove so to a jury if required. The world is not always so clear cut, and I hope anyone who carries a weapon thinks long and hard about the choices they may have to make later regarding the use of that weapon. Including posting on the internet about it.

Knot - Glad you and your girlfriend are okay and that you were able to defend yourself.

:buddies:

knot

Banned
Thanks DB, we are no longer together. We did drive straight to the police station and they only took a report and said they think they know who we are talking about. Nothing became of it though. We witnessed those guys throw a live kitten in the river to have their dog retrieve it - dead. At that point we decided to leave. I wish I had a gun to perform a citizen's arrest while my GF could have gone for police. That was severe animal cruelty

Last edited:

Dawg

Enlightened
I once saw an individual pop a kittens head off between two slats of a pointed picket fence. Same individual got 60 stitches in his head, another 40 in his jaw and last I heard he was getting used to his dentures........I had nothing to do with it.

If I ever saw anyone do something like the Dog fetching kitten from the river, Some boys would have been hurtin. I don't take kindly to animal, woman or child abuse. Believe me, I have a very storied past with regards to defending Animals, women and children. Not necessarilly in that order.

knot

Banned
Dawg said:
I once saw an individual pop a kittens head off between two slats of a pointed picket fence. Same individual got 60 stitches in his head, another 40 in his jaw and last I heard he was getting used to his dentures........I had nothing to do with it.

If I ever saw anyone do something like the Dog fetching kitten from the river, Some boys would have been hurtin. I don't take kindly to animal, woman or child abuse. Believe me, I have a very storied past with regards to defending Animals, women and children. Not necessarilly in that order.

The odds were not in my favor between two guys and a pit bull type dog. All my girlfriend could do was scream when they robbed us. Believe me, the kitten incident made me furious but not stupid.

TSWrench

Newly Enlightened
Datasaurusrex said:
You should try some gun forums Diesel. I'd suggest something like www.glocktalk.com www.thehighroad.org www.ar15.com

Here's a lazy man's explanation.

You're now an admitted, habitual, dog killer (that's how it would read to a jury).

If you ever have to defend yourself for real, against a person, you will most likely face the DA (at the very least).

They can easily use your posting history against you. A history of agressive gun handling/brandishing (2 seperate incidents of shooting dogs) would paint a very bad picture of your character, if you ever face a jury for shooting a person. A psychologist would probably say something about 'escelating behavior, blah blah blah.'
QUOTE]

Given the defensive nature of Diesel's actions and the subsequent clearing by law enforcement, the likely scenario (not the "lazy" one) is that this would be inadmissible as prosecutory evidence in a trial by jury.

I agree with Datasaurus, that you should be careful, but not to the point of paranoia.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've said this before, but here it goes again. Speaking from both training, observation and experience.

If you, as a non-leo, use a firearm, no matter the situation, you will be:

Very probably arrested (that's the leo's job and better to be safe and arrest someone than have to explain why you didn't).

Your firearm and maybe your money and car will be confiscated. You may or may not get it back. Your home and business, whether the incident occurred there or not, will probably be searched and any other firearms, knives, dirty books will be seized as "evidence". It'll cost you serious money either way.

You will probably be prosecuted. The prosecutor wants another scalp and has nothing to loose. You're out bail, lawyer, etc.

You WILL be sued by the shootee and/or his family. More money for lawyers.
Depending on where you are, you may win the criminal trial but loose big in the civil arena. I'm told some homeowner's insurance policies don't cover legal expenses for firearms related incidents.

You will be villified by politicians and the media.

Your life will change -- psychologically, socially and financialy. It may change a little or a lot -- but it will change.

The other side of the coin - you and your loved ones will still be breathing. Only you can put a price on that.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, EDC is "Every Day Carry", meaning the stuff you usually have on you when you're out of the house.

I'm a minimalist, keys with Photon2 and DIY glowring, cellphone, wallet, Salt II, and KelTec 380 is what I had on my errand runs this morning. But i've got a big bag of stuff in the truck!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have carried leagally for a number of years, have never had to use it in self defense, hope I never have to.

EDC like BigIron said is something you carry every day. Also like Big Iron I carried my Keltec PT3AT today while running errands.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point, 270.

Amend the poll and maybe ask "How many would EDC if they could do so legally?"