I need a backup light for CAVING

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened
:candle:

About a 3-5 hour trip. They supply the headlamp and hat but want me to bring a personal flashlight(I'm assuming handheld). Any ideas?

p.s. going to be muddy with some dunking.

One other question so as not to make another thread, does anyone know a a seller of very high power blue led's?

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Kwizatz Haderach said:

About a 3-5 hour trip. They supply the headlamp and hat but want me to bring a personal flashlight(I'm assuming handheld). Any ideas?

One other question so as not to make another thread, does anyone know a a seller of very high power blue led's?

Take two; one for light in tight spaces (and hence low output) and one for caverns (bright, less runtime). If you are going really soon, get an X1 for the low output and ruggedness with long runtime and an X0 for shorter runtime and much more output. Both are available at Target. If you have more time (like a week), order a couple of Fenix's from fenixstore.com. There are too many good options there to list a good combo easily.

In any case, I'd get two to take in case one fails. It happens, even with great lights. My Jetbeam C-LE and Triton P1 have always worked with no problems, but I'd still carry two. The cavers I know carry 5.

Have fun,
Kevin

Oh, yeah, I forgot to ask. How much are you looking to spend? The Surefires in the BST section are good choices for this sort of thing for the bright light.

Last edited:

mountainpenguin

Newly Enlightened
hmm
i would strongly suggest a pt apex or apex pro. In a cave you want your hands free at all times. The apex is probably better than what they will give you as a headlamp so unless its a spade fitted lamp you can just push the other one to a jaunty angle and use the apex. Then if the apex fails you can use theirs as a primary. When caving it is important that your backup light doesnt stop you doing a trip.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on your budget.
For less money I recommend a SL PP Lux4xAA or a higher priced dive-light.

Best regards

____
Tom

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kwizatz Haderach said:

The headlamp should be used for general flood and close up lighting for walking, crawling, scrambling and climbing.

You'll want a handheld light with good throw. You'll need throw for routefinding in larger chambers, and for checking out speleothems at medium to long distance.

A great handheld caving light for these purposes: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_ProPolymer_3C_LUXEON.php

This light has great throw and is a best buy. You won't find a light to beat it for throw, ruggedness, and long runtime without spending twice or three times its price.

Underwater Kinetics, Princeton Tec, and Pelican also make great lights for caving. You might consider a dive-rated light by one of those manufacturers for really wet caves. All of these brands are available at Brightguy, so browse around that site.

fasuto

Enlightened
Close to Long John I recommend a UK eLED plus and or a Barbolight (at higher price)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Princeton Tec has some nice rugged waterproof long runtime LED lights.
The Streamlight Propoly are good stuff as well from all I've heard.
The Inova X5 is a great floody long runtime waterproof light.
And UK makes a nice couple quality waterproof lights as well.

These would be my 4 suggested starting points for a backup light.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Just curious.

Would there be any concerns about a possible explosion from decaying organic matter forming methane gas. Would an explosion proof flashlight like a pelican be needed here?

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
bullpup said:
Just curious.

Would there be any concerns about a possible explosion from decaying organic matter forming methane gas. Would an explosion proof flashlight like a pelican be needed here?

I've not heard of methane being an issue in explosive concentrations in American caves. I do know that dangerous levels of CO2 from decomposing organic matter and other sources can be an issue in some caves.

Whatever light you choose, bring a little duct tape along too, so you can tape a backup light to your helmet in case your primary headlight fails.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
bullpup said:
Just curious...Would there be any concerns about a possible explosion from decaying organic matter forming methane gas. Would an explosion proof flashlight like a pelican be needed here?

Possible, but exceedingly rare in natural caves.

Until fairly recently, most cavers used carbide lamps with exposed acetylene flames as their primary light sources.

Even today, there are still plenty of carbide cavers because no electric light yet developed matches a good carbide lamp for floodiness, color, and lumens of output vs. runtime.

Methane may be a hazard in coal mines, sewers, landfills, sewage lagoons, etc.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
mountainpenguin said:
hmm
i would strongly suggest a pt apex or apex pro. In a cave you want your hands free at all times. The apex is probably better than what they will give you as a headlamp so unless its a spade fitted lamp you can just push the other one to a jaunty angle and use the apex. Then if the apex fails you can use theirs as a primary. When caving it is important that your backup light doesnt stop you doing a trip.

Unless the leaders are carrying a spare headlamp for you I would recommend bringing a backup headlamp also. In a cave, a headlamp is much more important than a handheld. If you don't already have a headlamp, it would be a great opportunity to get one. They are so useful for so many things. The PT Apex is a great choice.

For a handheld, I would take a Streamlight ProPoly. Probably a 4AA Lux. Tough, dependable, great runtime and plenty of throw. Most of the time I've spent caving I've noticed that a floody light is more important than a throwy light [I've only caved in the east, no big rooms]. If I knew that the cave had no large spaces, I would consider the Streamlight ProPoly 7 led. The ProPolys are another light I would recommend to anyone who does not have one already - very useful and a great value.

When caving the absolute minimum is three independant light sources. Independant meaning that you are not relying on the batteries, bulbs or anything else from one light to make another function. Last time in I had four. Caving is a great test of lights - but very harsh on them and on all equipment.

Last edited:

gramanam

Newly Enlightened
Well I think I am the first to address the part about the blue LEDs. If you are planing to use them to spot minerals, UV light is better.

For a UV light I would recomend the Inova X5 UV version, It can be found at brightguy.com.

If you just want a UV led, I know you can get UV Crees.

jtice

Flashaholic
Streamlight 4AA or 3C Luxeons

UK 4AA LED lights.

Both have proven to be very reliable in my caving experiences.
Polymer (plastic) lights actually hold up better for caving in alot of ways, vs. metal.
Even HAIII cant handle caving.

If you want something smaller, any of the Fenix AA lights would be good also.

~John

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED_Thrift said:
For a handheld, I would take a Streamlight ProPoly. Probably a 4AA Lux. Tough, dependable, great runtime and plenty of throw. Most of the time I've spent caving I've noticed that a floody light is more important than a throwy light [I've only caved in the east, no big rooms]. If I knew that the cave had no large spaces, I would consider the Streamlight ProPoly 7 led. The ProPolys are another light I would recommend to anyone who does not have one already - very useful and a great value.

Both are great lights and excellent value for their prices.

The SL PP 4AA 7LED had decent amount of output - floody without much throw. This makes it a good backup light, a replacment light if the headlamp fails. Backup lights are typically carried in a sidepack or rucksack, because quick access is not that important.

The SL PP 4AA Lux shouldn't be considered a backup light, but rather a light to complement the headlamp. As such, it should be carried in a belt holster for quick access, or in the hand with a lanyard. It can do things the headlamp can't: punch across a big room to find the best route, or light up stalactites 100 feet above the floor. Even in smaller caves, a throw light can help you discern detail you might miss with just a headlamp.

These lights are small and lightweight enought that you could easily carry both. For less than 60 bucks for both, you'd be well-equipped.

riffraff

Enlightened
Pokerstud said:
Whatever you decide on, please bring plenty of spare batteries!
...in a water-tight container (the Pelican 1010 comes to mind).

Also, to the Kwizatz Haderach: "What do you call the mouse shadow on the second moon?" :thinking:

:grin2:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kwizatz Haderach said:

I'm always with my Inova XO as a backup for my caving headlamp. Tough, extremely dependable, waterproof, shockproof, long runtime with perfect flat regulation, good brightness and throw.

Lighthound is a having a big clear out sale right now. Hurry up, because they have the new reflectored XO for only 24.99, that's a steal!

ghostguy6

Enlightened
bullpup said:
Just curious.

There could be a risk even though it is unlikely. Generally if you can smell something resemabling "rotten eggs" you should be using some sort of explosion proof flashlight. Pelican's would be the perfect light for what you need. Most models are waterproof and CSA/ MSHA CL1, DIV 2 rated so you have no worry about and explosion occuring from your light. The stealthlight recoil with the glow in the dark shroud would be perfect for lighting up larger caverns and if you drop it it will be easy to find. http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=2410PL
Browse their site and you will find lots of useful lights. Another added bonus is they are readily available throughout north america so you should be able to pick one up fairly quickly.