LED Thrower/Spot that is somewhat compact?

Geogecko

Enlightened
I've been looking around recently (been a while), and stumbled upon the new Wolf Eyes M300, which looks really nice (2.5" bezel and about 6.5" long).

I like the idea of that light, but would rather have LED instead, but like the idea of regulation, over direct drive.

Is there anything that you all know about that would be similar to the WE, but LED? Looking for around 300-400 lumens, so I guess it would have to be a tripple or quad LED light.

Suggestions?

martonic

Enlightened
ASP Triad $140 shipped on Ebay - best deal - this should be perfect for you.

Geogecko

Enlightened
Hmm...The ASP looks interesting, but only rated for 120 lumens. Do they have a web site of their own?

The WiseLED is out of my price range for that light. I guess what I'm looking for, is an LED replacement for the M3T. I like the idea of the WE M300, since it has more light output, and is stubby, not long, and also has rechargeable batteries, but it's not regulated. I guess you can look at it from the stand point that Li-Ion batteries have a fairly regulated output, and then drop off quickly, rather than other types of batteries...

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be much interest in making a similar light to the Surefire M6 mod that someone (can't remember who) that turned the M6 into a rechargeable light, and also fully regulated... I wouldn't mind the incan part of it, if it was regulated and rechargeable.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud. So far, I'm still leaning more toward a WE M300, at least, for this particular use (spotting, long throw). I've got a SF L2 for close up work.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A thrower and relatively compact single LED light would be the Lumapower D-Mini(review) or the M1 Hunter(review). Both throw very well. The best trow can be achieved by using an aspertical lens in front of a Cree or some other kind of optic.

If you want multi emitter, look at the new Seoul Electrolumens products, Manufacturer's Corner. Stunner 3D(But not compact at all)

Or ask for a Modded light

Last edited:

Geogecko

Enlightened
Hmm...that is an interesting light. Wonder when that is going to come out.

So, basically, is there anything that even competes with a Surefire M3T with a 250lm bulb in it? That's really what I'm looking for, something that throws around the same distance.

I guess it would have to be a multi-LED light. I wonder if anyone has designed one that had all the LEDs clustered together, and then used a single reflector design?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Lumapower D-Mini and M1 have lots of throw and would not replace the L2, which is a flood light. The Lumapower M1 has a bit more throw then the Surefire M3 normal but less throw then the M3T, at least according to Flashlight reviews. A Malkoff modded mag could probably throw as well or better then the M3T but it is larger and I'm not sure if he is making any new Maglite Mods.
I think McGizmo has designed reflectors that are meant to reflect multiple emitters but they were only prototypes.

sims2k

Enlightened
Gunner12 said:
The Lumapower D-Mini and M1 have lots of throw and would not replace the L2, which is a flood light. The Lumapower M1 has a bit more throw then the Surefire M3 normal but less throw then the M3T, at least according to Flashlight reviews. A Malkoff modded mag could probably throw as well or better then the M3T but it is larger and I'm not sure if he is making any new Maglite Mods.
I think McGizmo has designed reflectors that are meant to reflect multiple emitters but they were only prototypes.

How about the Nuwai TM800-X3 ... 3 x 3 watt LED = 9 watts for 240 lumens...seems pretty good to me .... As for the SF L2 ... still my EDC.

Geogecko

Enlightened
Well, I went ahead and went with the M1. Based on Flashlightreviews, this should be somewhat comparable to fill the need of what my M3T was doing (of course, I was running the 250lm M4 bulb in it though...).

I guess I'd still like to get something to use as a close up light then, similar to the L2. I think I'd still like a Cree for that, maybe the SSC. Anyone have suggestions for that?

Maybe the Fenix P1D CE?

Last edited:

westfork

Newly Enlightened
The LumaPower MRV may be announced soon. From the hints that have been dropped it looks to have an amazing throw and uses the same battery setup as the M1 (so possibly a similar size?). Check out the MRV beamshots on the LumaPower threads where compared to the D-Mini and M1.

Edited to add link to LumaPower's beamshots. MRV on top, M1, D-Mini, and Turboforce
MRV%20M1%20D-Mini%20M3%20a.jpg

Hope it's OK to link to LumaPower's picture.

Last edited: