not impressed by cree

jbosman1013

Enlightened
i replaced my K2 7w with a cree P4 in my SF C2 and hate to say but Im not impressed its really white but i dont see much improvment in light I do notice more run time though is this how it is or did I just get a cheap mod

Weskix

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like it was optimized more for runtime than for output. Do you know how much current the light is drawing.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
jbosman1013 said:
i replaced my K2 7w with a cree P4 in my SF C2 and hate to say but Im not impressed its really white but i dont see much improvment in light I do notice more run time though is this how it is or did I just get a cheap mod

A SF c2 is an incandescent right? If you were going to modify it into a cree, you'd probably have to use a driver board. What's current are you putting to the Cree?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
i am very new to the whole light moding thing so forgive me but how do i measure the current draw and dont know if this will help but its the same dual spring drop-in you find at DX for $14.00

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the $14.00 Cree drop in from DX and this unit kinda sucks as far as output goes. A good Cree stock/modded is a lot more impressive. I read the $12.50 unit works better.
jbosman1013 said:
i am very new to the whole light moding thing so forgive me but how do i measure the current draw and dont know if this will help but its the same dual spring drop-in you find at DX for $14.00

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the drop-in Cree (made by Solatec)available from Litemania in the dealers section on this forum. I have one and Absolutely Love It!

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
you also have to keep in mind the viewable angle of a cree relative to the reflector. when we see a light projected, we're not looking entirely at the initial light source but much of it's characterestic changed by the reflector angle and variants (smooth ot textured, material, method, etc).

chances are as stated before me, a proper driver doesn't exist and is being direct driven, a driver designed to push the cree 3.5v~4v would enahce it, as well as the draw not exceeding 1amp. the cree can handle 1amp but you would feel the heat, a comfortable compromise is 750mA. check out luxdrive micropuck for example.

we can't expect to compare one light to another with in modification as the original designed is intended to take advantage of given properties and in this case how the original bulb would reflect from the reflector and to project light.

Latest posts