If a tree falls.......

knot

Banned
greenlight said:
I see some funny thread titles down the line.

That's knot funny. :)

If a tree falls in a forest, and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Here's a rare video of an observer who witnessed a tree fall... but never heard it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbVz2S6988M

Apparently, he failed his physics course in school but looks like he graduated from the school of hard knocks.

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
Starlight said:
If a man is in a forest and makes a statement that no woman can hear, is he still wrong?

Duh! Absolutely! :knight: ... That's one of the Top 5 laws of physics... :rolleyes:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
WTF! Is the dude in the video retarded or what? Can't believe he decided to go like that. Maybe it's fake.

AlexGT

knot

Banned
Maybe someone from the far east can clue us in as to whether that is legit or not.\

*********I edited the OP with a much better version of the video.

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
knot said:
If a tree falls in a forest, and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
I've always thought this to be a silly question. Of course there's sound.

But can you answer me this? If you were traveling in a vehicle at the speed of light, and you turned on your headlights, would they do anything? :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Lite_me said:

But can you answer me this? If you were traveling in a vehicle at the speed of light, and you turned on your headlights, would they do anything? :)

Another Steven Wright fan, I see. :)

knot

Banned
Lite_me said:

There is no sound, only sound waves. Sound is what we perceive.

Only the interior lights will work :laughing:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
knot said:
There is no sound, only sound waves. Sound is what we perceive.

Only the interior lights will work :laughing:

Not quite,
Yes there is sound... waves or no, it is sound. :)

Yes the head lights would work in a perfectly normal ordinary way, at least that is what you as the driver would perceve.

Now, a bystander watching you zip past would see what :)

evanlocc

Enlightened
Daniel_sk said:
I bet it's a fake (and it looks like that - if you watch closely)

Yes! it fake and just a clip from some joke!

" The contestant is ready and stare at the trunk! " that was the transcript from it.

Did any one notice one of the cutter use the 'diggie' then axe.

knot

Banned
Led_Blind said:
Not quite,
Yes there is sound... waves or no, it is sound. :)

It is not sound until someone or something perceives it as sound. Until then, it's only a sound wave.

Waves or no?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Does something cease to exist when we forget it?

In a way ... yes.

In another way ... this is a freaking arrogant philosophical way to look at the world. Then again ... we are all about us ... so let's be honest. There is no sound when you don't see the tree falling.

bernie

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:

In a way ... yes.

In another way ... this is a freaking arrogant philosophical way to look at the world. Then again ... we are all about us ... so let's be honest. There is no sound when you don't see the tree falling.

bernie
I say there is sound. No one has to hear it for there to be noise. It just goes undetected. And you can hear the sound if you're close enough but out of visual range. You don't have to see it falling.
That's like saying if a blind person can't see a tree that's there, it's not there. It's there alright. They're both waves. Sound waves and/or light waves. Like Sasha stated, it's a matter of physics.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
If Joshua Bell plays for 43 minutes in a DC metro station and no one notices, does he still sound good?

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Kiessling said:

In a way ... yes.

bernie

So by that logic :) when you did not see the tree fall, the tree never existed. Since there was never a tree it could never have falen and hence never made a sound... sorry... wave.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Oh - you can get into some real interesting parts of physics - for instance - a photon will NOT be emitted unless there is something to receive it!! It's just that there is always something to recieve it - they are quantum bound..

So I guess you could say, if there was no one there to SEE it, it could not be seen to fall