LED light for signaling (morse code)

skogstad

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy a flashlight for a friend.
He will use it outdoor, sometimes on a small boat.
But most importent : He will use it for signaling (morse code)

The forward click system on the Surefire G2 is excelent for signaling, scince you can unscrew the back and press as hard as you want (while reading morsecode I guess) not having to be precise with your pressure, and risk the light to get "stuck" in on or off mode. But it is not a LED light.

Do any of you know of such a LED light ?

The size : less than 20 cm

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
For signaling it wouldn't have to be too bright, correct?? I'd think one of the new-style Gerber Infinities would be perfect for this..

Or you could get the LED replacement for the G2..

skogstad

Newly Enlightened
He wanted a bright light, when he saw mine LumaPower M1, he checked the switch, but found it not for signaling.

What is the LED replacement for Surefire G2 ?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not much output but the Dorcy 1AAA light for $6 at Walmart has a twist and spring loaded momentary button tail cap switch which is perfect for easy signaling. I slip a piece of 1/2" I.D. plastic tubing over the tail to keep the cap from twisting on its own.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Try the Inova 24/7. It already has sos built in. As for something more sophisticated I don't know. Good Luck in the CW search.

redledz

Newly Enlightened
I believe Lighthound sells the G&P 1W and 3W LED drop ins that would fit a SF G2. I actually like the clickie on the Inova T1 better than the G2. Perhaps a Tiros T3 might be nice.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 1 watt TL-2 led has a great switch for signaling. Twist on with spring loaded momentary button. I don't have an Elektro Lumens Decree yet, but it looks good for that purpose too.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
skogstad said:
The forward click system on the Surefire G2 is excelent for signaling, scince you can unscrew the back and press as hard as you want (while reading morsecode I guess) not having to be precise with your pressure, and risk the light to get "stuck" in on or off mode. But it is not a LED light....Do any of you know of such a LED light ?

Rugged, reliable, reasonably priced, common AA cells:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/blt-2a.html

The Bolt is also available in a 2CR123 version if you prefer those cells, and also in a smaller 2AAA version.

skogstad

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

Thanks for your comments.

I have been searching around checking your suggestions out :
As I am not sure of the meaning of "tactical switch" please enlighten me.

robm : The Tactical switch for M1.. is "Tactical switch" equal to "tailcap forward clickie", or egual to "twist tailcap clockwise/counterclockwise on/off and push/release for on/off" (like SF G2) ?

If the latter is the case, then it is a possibillity I will have to check out.
But the forward clickie switch system wont do for signaling, as the light m,ight accidentally turn "permanantly" on or off.

paulr : As I can see the SF L4 has a tailcap forward clickie - cant do, but a nice light it seems :)
ringzero: Inova Bolt Graphite, I cant see the clickie mechanism, but it is nice with the AA Battery option

Also the Inova T3 has a Forward Clickie switch

A possibility is the
Mockingbird: Streamlight TL2_LED or TL3_LED though the output is not that high compared to LumaPower M1, but still more than standard MacLite incandecent witch my friend has at the moment.

I agree the electroLumen DeCree looks good for the purpose of signaling, and if the stated 185 lumen is not too much of an over exageration, then it is a mean little light at 70$ +shipping - but an antiroll device would be nice to have on it.

- Regards
Martin

Last edited:

robm

Enlightened
The Tactical switch for M1.. is "Tactical switch" equal to "tailcap forward clickie", or egual to "twist tailcap clockwise/counterclockwise on/off and push/release for on/off" (like SF G2) ?
Had a quick scan through the sales/info thread (I haven't got one of these so don't know first hand):

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/1898648/

lumapower said:
The Tactical switch is a "Press-or-Twist" design.

So you can fit either 2 stage reverse clicky OR momentary tactical switch.

On a different note, you might want to edit/clean your post:
...then it is a little mean #######... !

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
Yeah the new "M1 Tactical" is great for this - bright, small, takes rechargeables (use one 18650 for 4 plus hours runtime) and works exactly as you'd like - push as hard as you want, it comes on but will not stay on unless you twist the tailcap - and there is a slot for your thumb, so although it will not come on accidentally, it is very easy to push for signalling. And it comes with both smooth and textured reflectors. Dunkable too. Ideal.

luigi

Enlightened
A gladius in momentary mode is what comes to my mind for this. Great throw and the switch is big and soft with great tactile response. The LED will never burn and you get all the extra nice Gladius features.

Luigi

skogstad

Newly Enlightened
Hi luigi

Thanks - I see the Gladius is suited for the purpose, but I think it is out of the budgetrange of my friend.

I will try and use the tacticle enscap on my M1, that would be an easy solution.

If I shoud want to run my M1 on the 18650 rechargeble (never seen one tho), which should I buy, and what charger ?

Martin

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
skogstad said:
I will try and use the tacticle enscap on my M1, that would be an easy solution.

If I shoud want to run my M1 on the 18650 rechargeble (never seen one tho), which should I buy, and what charger ?

Martin
Martin,

For the lowest cost, get the "Marin" batteries here:
http://kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1301
and get the "Ekarp" (DSD) charger here:
http://kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=936

DO NOT get "unprotected" batteries - the above are much safer to use and offer excellent performance for the money. Allow about two or three weeks for delivery to the USA.

For faster delivery and the very best quality, but higher prices, shop here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/140362

Good luck!

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
skogstad said:
Hi luigi

Thanks - I see the Gladius is suited for the purpose, but I think it is out of the budgetrange of my friend.

Martin
Check out the Insight H2X Typhoon. Insight is the manufacturer of the Gladius, and is now allowed to sell it under their own brand name. Same light, but significantly cheaper.

skogstad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot martonic !

You just saved me a lot of time :)
I will try kaidomain!

Even thoug the Insight H2X Typhoon is cheaper than the one with the name Glasius on, I am saving my money for a Wolf Eyes HID 24W - but thanks for the info.

-Martin

Last edited: