Arc AAA vs. Mag Solitaire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an Arc AAA and would like to know how it compares in brightness to the Mag AAA Solitaire. This will be my first LED light.

Thanks,

Eric

Saaby

Flashaholic
NO comparison! Get the Arc and never look back. Give me a minute to dig up some pics...

x.gif

y.gif

z.gif

It's smaller too
smile.gif

Eric_M

Enlightened
No comparison at all! Thanks for the quick response. I just about had my hobbies under control and then I find this site. My wallet is going to get a workout.

Thanks Again,

Eric

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the laugh, artar.
Eric. This is cheaper then Guns, Good knives, Cars and Babes.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Has anyone actually tried running the AAA continuous, until it's dead? Is there really a moon-mode that kicks in. I've heard stories to the contrary. I've also heard that some who have left the AAA on for more than a few hours at once, basically trashed the light. It had something to do with the gases from the cell escaping and causing a lock that would not allow the head to be unscrewed.

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by artar:
today i ran the arc aaa continuous.
there was no moon mode.
from one moment to the next, the led went out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Eclipse mode?
smile.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between moon and sun mode is subtle at best. It is a long slow switch over more of a gradual fade into moon mode. If you don't believe, put a "dead" battery in (less than one volt) switch it on and run it 30 min-1 hr and switch off and let rest 10 minutes and then switch it back on... Bingo back in to sun mode (if only for a minute or two)

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
The drop is gradual but there is a solid
drop, and it does stop at a point
(I.E. if Sun-mode is a "10" then half way to
Moon-mode is "5" [slow fade] but at "1"
[Moon-mode] It stops droping till it quits)
I have NEVER used up a battery in a Arc-AAA
I got to wear if I use it for 3 minutes
it goes off but If I let the battery sit
over night if will still will run for another
3 minutes in the morning.

You could run it down (I've goten to .600v)
but it is to much trouble to really KILL
an Arc-AAA.

And I only have to leave mine off for about 30
seconds for it to switch back to Sun-Mode.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Here's my experience. Right after I got mine I shotred out an AAA until it wouldn't even light the bulb in a Solitare (Ok it would but no beam like 2" away) then I stuck it in the Arc. Next morning (9+ hours) it was still going! It looked like it was still in sun mode so I switched it off...big mistake, never fired the LED with that battery again
smile.gif

Which means it was in moon mode but didn't have enough energy to fire back into sun mode--because you have to go through one to get to the other.

d'mo

Enlightened
Originally posted by sunspot:
Thanks for the laugh, artar.
Eric. This is cheaper then Guns, Good knives, Cars and Babes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">From a sign at Crabby Mike's seafood buffet. Myrtle Beach, SC:

"I spent most of my money on buffets and women... the rest, I just wasted."

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Arc is water proof to 50', lasts 5 hours at full brightness and is too cool...get one, use it at night and go "WOW". Small and Bright and beautifully crafted.
EDIT see my post on "modding" the Arc...7/31/02 for how much this light does.
Then get yerself a Newbeam mod for a minimag!!!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done informal tests and my conclusion is that the moon mode is marginal at best. The light stays near top brightness for a few hours, then gradually starts dimming at a steady rate. I suppose when it is extremely dim, you could call it a moon mode but then it was barely light enough to see your watch. The Arc LS regulation appears to be a bit stronger and the "moon" mode of that light is bright enough so it may still provide a little use.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sabby If you would have "rested" that dead battery after turning it off for an hour lets say... It would have come back on and brighter than when you turned it off. It just didn't have enough juice to charge the coil back up when you cut it off at such a low voltage...

Saaby

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Bushman:
Sabby If you would have "rested" that dead battery after turning it off for an hour lets say... It would have come back on and brighter than when you turned it off. It just didn't have enough juice to charge the coil back up when you cut it off at such a low voltage...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah I am going to have to try it again because this was when it was brand new--before it's defect (Which might just be dirty battery contacts, I'm wokin on it) showed itself. So although I turned it on and off a few times it's killing me to think that maybe I didn't turn it "off" far enough.

Anyway I was at a wedding reception with lots of family tonight and tried to show as many people this little gem as I could, well, it and my glowring
smile.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
WRT leaving a light on and destroying it, there is some truth to that. I've had this happen with three different 'sealed' flashlights. One was my ARC-AAA (old .9 version turquoise), a green Infinity, and my good old 2AA maglight. Go ahead, seal them up, turn them on and leave them for *a few days*. Well past dead batteries (okay, it'll take a week for the infinity). Then try to open them!

What happens is that alkaline batteries generate gas when they are very near fully discharged--the reaction that takes place is prevented if there is much voltage on the cell--even a few hundred mV. Once it's below that, it starts to produce gas--I believe it's hydrogen, but my memory may be off. You can get enough built up so that the pressure pushes on the end cap strongly enough to jam the threads. Fortunately for me, the ARC-AAA had very good silicone grease on the threads and was openable, the 2AA maglight is not sealed between the battery compartment and the head, so just unscrew the head a little to releave the pressure--the threads are of a different variety on the head. The bear was the infinity. It's well sealed and I had some crappy grease on the threads. Also, the head's got enough surface area that the pressure was exerting a lot of force on it (more area to act on). When it finally came off, the head shot out like a bullet and there was a loud 'bang'. The AA cell, once extracted, was making hissing and popping noises for a few minutes. Nasty.

So, be very careful with really dead cells.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Well, I got my Arc and love it! It's all down hill from here. My wife is going to start wondering about all of these flashlights that start appearing.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.