Where to buy Luxeon Rebel?

PeterScowcroft

Newly Enlightened
No,

I think it would be near impossible to use on a homemade flash light due to the size.

It is neither as bright as, or as efficient as a cree/seoul.

too little too late from the luxeon camp

Illum

Flashaholic
considering the size of the led chip and the solder pads...I dont think I could do it with a steel pin tacked onto an ordinary solder iron tip...I think hot plate soldering would do if anyones into the profession:ohgeez:

SemiMan

Banned
Hot plate soldering works just fine....

For those who do not know what that is... just like it sounds.... hot plate around 250C... put the board down and tin the pads, take it off to cool.... put the parts down, then throw it back onto the hot plate.

I have been doing this for SMT prototyping for years... not pretty, but for things like power semis, often the only way of doing it let alone LEDS. It works for Crees and K2s as well.

I have a heat plate for work, but I hear you can get creative in the kitchen. Do a search on the web.... may be able to find something.

Semiman

SemiMan

Banned
I looked for them on Mouser but could not find anything. What part number did you find them under?

semiman

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
White LEDs are basically blue LEDs with a phosphor coating. Shoudln't then the blue LEDs be at least as efficient as white LEDs ?

In one sense they are (converting elecricity to photons), but lumens are related to apparent brightness - the sensitivity of the eye at different wavelengths of light comes into it, and the eye isn't very sensitive to blue light.
The eye is most sensitive to green light (one reason why the green and cyan LEDs have very respectable figures).

As an extreme example, you could theoretically have a super-efficient UV LED that was actually rated at precisely 0 lumens/Watt, since its output was invisible. If you put a phosphor in it that gave off visible light when excited with UV, it could end up with a respectable lumens/watt figure.

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
$1.99 each for the -50 parts when you order 2 or more.

the -50 parts are 95 lumens typical at 700mA - the same performance of a Lux III U-bin

aside from the assembly difficulty, you can't complain about getting the equivalent of a U-bin Lux III for $2.

moon lander

Enlightened
evan9162 said:
$1.99 each for the -50 parts when you order 2 or more.

the -50 parts are 95 lumens typical at 700mA - the same performance of a Lux III U-bin

aside from the assembly difficulty, you can't complain about getting the equivalent of a U-bin Lux III for $2.

any idea what would happen if i tried to solder leads onto these things? with a tiny soldering tip and a steady hand? if not, doesnt someone want to buy a bunch and sell them on cpf pre soldered with leads? or point me in the right direction to learn the hot-plate method?

moon lander

Enlightened
tried to order from future but their website gets stuck at the export compliance statement. i hit agree and it just reloads the page :(