Draco review with beamshots!

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone, I thought I would post up a quick review on my recently acquired Draco from modamag. This light flat out rocks! I bought the standard chrome version with the cree and v2 flupic...I also had blue tritium installed in the back of the light. I haven't had the chance to measure the lux yet, but I measured ~150 lumens out the front with my home-made lightbox on high. I took some "textbook" whitewall shots, as well as some beamshots in my basement at a distance of about 20ft. The lights I used for the comparo including the Draco are as follows; Fenix L2D-CE, KL1-R with Seoul emitter, custom Mag running a single Seoul driven at ~1.5amps built by the great Mac, UV1J McLuxIII-PD, and a Fenix E0 "dart'.

Here are a couple group shots of the lights:
d-group1.jpg

d-group2.jpg

Here is a cool pic of the tritium on the back:
d-tritium.jpg

I will start with the white-wall shots, Draco is always on right. First up, the Fenix E0(e2 lithium primary):
draco-E0.jpg

UV1J PD on high(3.7V RCR123):
draco-PD.jpg

Fenix L2D-CE turbo(enegizer Nimh's):
draco-L2D.jpg

KL1-R SSC P4(3.7V 17670):
draco-KL1.jpg

Custom SSC P4 Mag burst setting ~1.5amp(3x17670's):
draco-magP41.jpg

Now for the good shots, lights are about 20ft. from the target(the fake tree). Fenix E0(barely noticable):
d-E0.jpg

UV1J PD on high:
d-PD.jpg

Fenix L2D-CE on "turbo":
d-L2D.jpg

Seoul powered KL1-R:
d-KL1.jpg

Custom SSC P4 Mag on burst(~1.5amps), sputtered reflector and UCL lens:
d-magP4.jpg

And last but not least, Draco on high:
d-draco.jpg

Hopefully these pics will help convince anybody that is "on the fence" about buying one of these beauties. This light is truely spectacular. The craftsmanship is top-notch, and the output is jaw droping. Something as small as a tube of chapstick dwarfs this light in comparison. The Draco is easily hands down the brightest light out there for it's size. I will never part with this, Draco will be with me for life :) I want to thank cmaccel(Mac) for recommending this light for me, I figured a guy like that knows his lights....and he said it was one of the most impressive lights he has ever seen. I couldn't agree more. This light is just too nice for my keychain right now, I am officially moving this light to my #1 EDC slot. I set my user level to setting #4 which I use most of the time. ~30 lumens out the front for about 1hr....not too shabby for it's size. I guess that about wraps it up, I love this light! :rock:

*EDIT* I switched the whitewall shot of the Mag SSC P4. The first pic I posted was compared to a Fenix P1D-CE, opps!

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review and beamshots. I agree with everything you said.
I bought a chrome Draco that dad has decided he needs. so I have now bought the TiCN version for myself. did a beamshot comparison you can see here
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=158317
(Hope this is not inappropriate strauss)

pic of the TiCn vs Chrome
100_6530Medium.jpg

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
Strauss said:
Hopefully these pics will help convince anybody that is "on the fence" about buying one of these beauties.

:awman: Gosh darn it, time to jump off the fence. Better start looking in the sofa for some change...

megahurts

Newly Enlightened
Where can you get one of these and how much to they run? Do they work out of the box like this or did it have to be modded? <- sorry if that is a noob question.

megahurts

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Pumaman: Your beamshot post was one of my deciding factors in buying the light, so no problem including a link to your pics in my thread whatsoever :grin2:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots. I'm going to get a chance to see this during the passaround. I know i'll be impressed then wont be able to resist buying one. I'm sort of on the fence on this one.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmaylodm said:
Nice pics! :goodjob: Can't wait to see it in person, perhaps in the cave?? :naughty:

For sure! You should have seen that little guy light up huge sections of the cave....I love this light more and more everyday! It hasn't been out of sight since the mailman dropped it off....I kill a battery a day because I can't stop playing with it :grin2:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Super sweet review! Thanks for the great pics! Now I am really lusting for the Modamag...

Guys, can anyone help me decide between the Wee and the Drake? Well, I guess since the Draco is the same diameter as the Drake but just longer, perhaps it's Wee vs. Drake vs. Draco!

I just wish we could see some shots of them next to each other--despite what folks have said (that the Drake and Wee are just about the same size), the Wee seems so much smaller in my mind--I don't know why.

And the price difference is key... but do folks think the Drake/Dracos are worth the extra over the Wee? I might have to get both but my wife will kill me, esp. with the economy and all... ugh...

Last edited: