Arc AAA "tip"

Status
Not open for further replies.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Gunk Plumber's Silicone Grease on my Arc and all my lights. It's designed for use with o-rings, gaskets, etc. so it's safe for them and it's relatively cheap and easy to find. Just check the plumbing section of any home improvement store and they should have this or some similar product.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not use petroleum grease as a normal for use on rubber.
Peter has o.k.'d Vaseline.
All that being said, I will continue to use a dielectric silicon grease. Better to be on the safe side.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Wonder if you could use silicon hear sink compound, or if that stuff "sets"...Only got about 100 little packets of it when I built my last computer, everything comes with a packet if it now days! I didn't use any of it! I used Artic Silver compound, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Willmore

Enlightened
Saaby, I'd avoid heat sink grease as most varieties do 'set'. Take appart an old CPU/heatsink and you'll see that it's no longer viscous, but more like a thin clay sheet. I'm lead to believe that this does not effect its thermal properties, though as all that has happened is that a 'carrier' fluid has evaporated. But, that's just what I've been told.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter recommended a while back to use Radio Shack multipurpose lube gel, although he said you could use other stuff.

I got an Arc a couple months ago that I thought wasn't lubed well, so I cleaned out the threads with an old toothbrush under running water with some dish soap. Then I lubed it with that RS stuff, and it has worked beautifully since.

I still like to clean and relube aluminum lights (is relube a word?) every 3 months or so to keep them clean and smooth.

bucken

Enlightened
Best solution I've found is to simply remove the o-ring and leave it off. No need to worry at all about the o-ring if it isn't there.

Oh, and don't worry about getting it wet, either. I have one that I always carry in a pajama pocket (for getting around after everyone else is asleep). Also with no o-ring. Can't even begin to count the number of times that it's been through the washer and dryer. Just keeps working fine!

A really amazing little light!

-bucken-

John Frederick

Enlightened
I've seen a few post on the stiffness of the Arc AAA heads. Darrel has proposed cleaning and regreasing the threads, then turning it off and on about a hundred times. I found this helped but I'm always looking for perfection
wink.gif

I cleaned the grease off of mine and applied toothpaste to it. I took the O-ring off first so I wouldn't eat it up. After working the head back and forth a while I cleaned it up and regreased it. I can't tell if it's easier to turn than after Darrel's tip but it's definately smoother. The only thing I feel now is the battery spinning.

If your Arc is stiff give it a try
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Mine's brand new, but I've noticed it's a little stiff.(my Arc AAA that is) Is any kind of grease Ok? or is there a certain kind? How about Hoppe's gun grease?

Saaby

Flashaholic
You need something like Silicon grease. Anything with petroliuym distilates in it will eat up the o-ring

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby. I have to most respectively disagree with you. Peter has posted that his o-rings will work fine with petroleum grease.
virgo. I don't think I would use Hoppe's.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

excellent. Guess that means no WD-40 either. thanks again Saaby!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

so.... maybe vaselline? (I know it has petroleum distillates, though)

Saaby

Flashaholic
Well ok but most o-rings are not happy with petrolium products correct? And I believe the foam ring doesn't like them either but that's based on speculation not fact. Either way Peter will send you free o-rings and foam retainers if you send him a SASE and a note saying how many you need.

We're walking all over each other here...most people use a silicon grease anyway but I don't know, maybe I can find a post and post it here. Maybe by the time I am done editing this your question will be answered. I think I have some silicon stuff somewhere here and have been digging all over for it. All I've found is an old Logitec very square 3 button mouse
smile.gif

mous.gif

Beaut isn't it? (The one on the right) Amazing how far ergonomics have come in less than 10 short years.

Moat

Enlightened
The vast majority of typical, easily available o-rings floating around today are simply the result of developmental history in the huge auto, military, heavy machinery, aircraft industries, etc... Designed to seal petroleum-based fluids, primarily. I'd bet money that's what Peter uses - most likely Buna-N(nitrile) or Neoprene - very commonly available for cheap, in a huge array of sizes. Autos are full of 'em.

I always use a quality wheel bearing grease on my Arc AAA's, works great. Probably should keep it off of the foam, though.

Silicone greases are poor lubricants - they were developed more for their di-electric, viscosity/temperature stability, and water repelling characteristics than as lubricants. Your o-rings - as well as the head/barrel threads - will last longer with petrol lubes, IMHO. Millions of years old, and the dinosaurs still rule!!
smile.gif

Bob

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still like to clean and relube aluminum lights (is relube a word?) every 3 months or so to keep them clean and smooth.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Every 3 months or 3 thousand miles.
Peter uses - most likely Buna-N(nitrile) or Neoprene
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Peter has stated that his rings are not neoprene.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by John Frederick:
I've seen a few post on the stiffness of the Arc AAA heads. Darrel has proposed cleaning and regreasing the threads, then turning it off and on about a hundred times. I found this helped but I'm always looking for perfection
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey! This activity DOES lead to perfection. I typicall twist it 100 times, then reclean everything and repeat. When the threads finally stay clean, everything seems to work pretty smoothly. For the best smooth action, there is no substitute for actually using the thing ten times a day though. My EDC is always the nicest one to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.